Coronavirus - Taiwan Developments Feb-Mar 2022

I did actually think of that when I was going from Kaohsiung to Taitung a few weeks ago and in the area (I’ve never been). I ended up skipping it because I was a bit pressed for time before CNY…and from what I know of it, I expected that I’d be disappointed (having seen nicer beaches in the Philippines, Malaysia, etc.).

2 Likes

On the topic of staying positive: I’m off to make a banh mi run to Bich Loan in Gongguan. If you guys want one, let me know. :rofl:

Guy

There’s good food up there?! When that food court opened (I dunno, 2010?), there was a pretty good variety of international options, but they soon disappeared. I haven’t been up there in years now.

My standards are low enough that I enjoy Redpoint’s chicken wings after missing much nicer wing options in Canada - meaning I’m very easily satisfied by bad versions of good things. And even I got depressed by the beach options in Kending in comparison to Southeast Asia.

Mind you, I haven’t been back in a decade or so - the final visit was too dispiriting. There’s a chance things have improved in regards to the beach access and quality of accommodation.

3 Likes

Yeah, enjoy your 2022-style trip to “Vietnam”. :neutral_face:

2 Likes

Hey, that IS a good news story about life in Taiwan. Those sandwiches used to be pretty hard to find here. Now they’re everywhere.

1 Like

It’s time to make do with the tools at hand.

And honestly their banh mi are not bad!

Guy

I’ve never been to that one. I’ve always found restaurants in train stations and the top floors of shopping malls pretty depressing though (I’m not sure why), so it would have to be good to offset that…

Do you have electricity in Gongguan btw? It’s been out over here for the last hour or so.

Power seems fine here, at least so far.

If this messes with my banh mi run, however, I will be pissed! :rofl:

Guy

1 Like

Hey, you’re getting some of the flavor of those rustic Southeast Asian beaches!

2 Likes

Hmmm, maybe just an isolated thing in this area then. It’s happened a couple of times recently.

Isolated, LOL. You know what this means, don’t you?

I’ll be making sure my backup batteries are charged and my supply of pickled grubs is adequate for the next six months.

Anyway, don’t let me interrupt the beach discussion.

1 Like

I honestly wasn’t thinking of the four horsemen of the apocalypse, no…

Oh, come on. When does Taiwan have power outages?

It’s the beginning of the end, you mark my words. Next thing there won’t be any eggs. Blue truck drivers honking in the streets.

Although I have to admit the power is fine here.

2 Likes

Yeah, I agree it’s weird. The power has been totally fine here for the last couple of years, then there was a power cut one morning maybe 6 weeks ago and this one just now (going on 2 hrs now).

Of course, it’s perfectly possible that they’re doing some electrical work nearby and I just didn’t read a notice that they put up downstairs explaining that.

1 Like

Very often in summer

1 Like

There are regional power cuts, often due to maintenance or some accidents. In typhoon season damages to the power line sometimes causes outages. The really big one last year just before summer was due to the drought, many power plants going under maintenance to prepare for the summer, and one big human error induced malfunction.

2 Likes

Yeah, don’t know what this is then. I assume it’ll come back on eventually and/or someone will call Taipower - fortunately I’m not in a rush to work for the next couple of hours… :man_shrugging:

I can report now that the banh mi shop in Gongguan is running as scheduled. :grin:

Guy

1 Like

When indeed

Punishments were also meted out

2 Likes

Well we are supposed to come in summer. So I def won’t be rushing over there any earlier than that. I hope you all can get a break soon and that things don’t take a turn for anything but the better in coming months. The sun will come out in the next month or so I hope? I really don’t know what the usual weather is like in February there.

1 Like