Coronavirus - Taiwan Developments Jan. 2022

I thought that last paragraph was interesting:

At present, when a traveler is notified of a confirmed diagnosis for the disease while staying at a quarantine hotel, in addition to the cost of staying in the room, the traveler must also pay for the number of days the room is left empty to be disinfected, Transportation Minister Wang Kwo-tsai (王國材) said at a separate event Monday.

Never heard that reported before.

1 Like

Since “disinfection” serves essentially no purpose, it seems like another of those ‘ka-ching’ rules.

I’d be curious to know what legal basis they claim for imposing the costs of public health measures on private citizens, or if they even bother referring to the law at all.

2 Likes

That’s kinda always been the case. It increases motivation for people to arrive positive?

Well I guess most returning are not too short on money but there are big incentives to game this system.

They always had to let rooms empty for 3 days after departure. It has no scientific value, same as the bleaching of baggage and so on.

The reason why you should wash your hands is if you touch eyes/mouth but even then that chance is ridiculously low vs straight airborne infection. That’s why it’s so hard to contain. And even if some parts of virus survive up to 24 hours, it’s not that they are contagious for so long. Taiwan simply goes against any scientific consensus, I always feel they act the same way out of touch that chinese/Taiwanese drama is written.

2 Likes

Yeah, I can see them all defrosting vials of saliva mid-flight then snorting them in the bathroom before the fasten-seatbelt light goes on. :thinking:

2 Likes

Btw, here is an estimation based on correct wearing of different types of masks. Its crazy that Taiwan has no ffp2 mask mandates at the airport settings:

Its 1 hour Vs 25 hours for n95. And ffp2 is much closer to n95 than to surgical mask. Especially with omicron in us many statements were that surgical masks help not at all anymore (still requires proper wearing of ffp2 or above masks).

Taiwan goes extreme in some circumstances, but dodges up in many others (staff in airport wearing those funny suits that don’t help at all and surgical masks), taxi drivers till now without a shield between the cubicles and so on…

But yeah the card house is crashing down right now. That’s not falling but crashing right now. And paper measures to combat the inevitable. Let see in 14-30 days…

3 Likes

2 Likes

I think it’s needed to relax covid fears
We in the Bay Area are relaxing our fears

1 Like

My friend was right jeans don’t stop a fart masks don’t stop much either

I think they do serve a purpose in restricting how far sneeze particles can fly if you sneeze into the mask

I of course remove my mask before I sneeze

But only outside

You can take a Taiwanese out of Taiwan, but you can’t take Taiwan out of a Taiwanese :rofl:

Oh ok, outside and noone around shouldn’t matter. Sorry ^^

5 Likes

A Taiwanese friend visited NorCal and SoCal over Christmas vacation (their family lives on West Coast).
They remarked that nearly no one was wearing masks in California, even as their famiky did for their own reasons.
They went to Disneyland with their young children and even in the ride lines teenagers were taking off masks.

2 Likes

Well if you sneeze into the mask it gets the mask all wet and disgusting :innocent:

2 Likes

If you do it once you’ll never do it again.

1 Like

I think confirmed case went to Kaohsiung and visited the Kaohsiung arena.

transmission risk was quite low it seems. Seems a non infectious period according to the article. footprints have gone include the Marriott Hotel, Tanzuomali Art Museum, Hanshen Arena, and Yixiang Tiandi (Xu Ji and Food Collection), all of which have been thoroughly cleaned up.

got the spraying crew on deck

:face_with_monocle:

1 Like

I go to Kaohsiung Arena like twice a week lol. But like you and the article said, chance of transmission is low. If the CDC isn’t worried, neither am I. There was a big concert and festival over the weekend at the place. Barely shoulder room to move. So Omicron would have a field day there.

3 Likes

Yep. Up to one to three months free room and board and up to 16 nose swabs before they let you out.

Then you change the mask.

I’m sending you a box of Hello Kitty ones. Do you want the Pokemon too?

1 Like

“… might not be enough”.

LOL.

On the one hand we’ve got an 80% vaccinated population, and on the other we’ve got the CECC saying, “don’t worry, masks will save us all!” when everyone knows that cloth masks are essentially useless and the standard blue surgical masks do next-to-nothing.

It’s almost as if they expect the vaccines to fail miserably, isn’t it?

Omnicron sounds like a computer virus

FYI:
If someone tests positive on arrival, they will be taken to hospital for further inspection and testing.

In that case the hotel is required to return your deposit. (force majeure)

2 Likes