Coronavirus--Taiwan developments

I almost wonder if there is something environmental or genetic that is keeping this virus at bay in Taiwan. Seems to me many bullets keep getting dodged.

1 Like

betel nut spittle

4 Likes

Is this news report, which cites and quotes the Central Epidemic Command Center, believable? (Boldface added by me.)

Is the CECC believable? (Boldface added by me.)

https://www.cdc.gov.tw/En/Bulletin/Detail/xXvwtLoRmDf_i3okerXGuA?typeid=158

3 Likes

Thatā€™s only the southerners. When I lived in Kaohsiung I never really left the south for a few years. When I eventually went north I noticed very little beetle nut use. Was like a different country

1 Like

What I say is trust the CDC. Indeed they are transparent, and they report their errors. Diagnostic of a new disease is tricky, and medical staff read these reports or will be communicated the information. It is a learning process, avoid pretending that they donā€™t have their eyes on the ball or worse that they are trying to avoids cases.

2 Likes

Thank you for the advice, sir. I shall use it to try to improve my character. :slight_smile:

Maybe this can explain some situations:

1 Like

To go back to my question, and I honestly didnā€™t want to comment more, what I asked about was this:

There an epidemy, this is exceptional time and if either think that:

• doctors are too tired too keep their eyes on it
  • there are no testing guidelines from health officials

Then I can only respectfully disagree with you guys, but I am happy to hear your opinion.

I find justifying those assumptions by disgressing about problems in the NHI in normal time pretty unfair with the medical profession. (second times it happens today)

The CDC is also doing a great job being transparent and I understand that seing the mistakes in hindsight exposes earlier issues which might make them look bad. Itā€™s good that people pick on them, the long term effect is to prevent mistakes to be repeated and greater efficiency and public confidence.

1 Like

I didnā€™t mean to come across as picking on the CDC or the CECC, and donā€™t have any desire to pick on the doctors, nurses, or other medical personnel, either. I think they all have very tough jobs, jobs that I lack both the ability and the inclination to do.

I see this mainly as a situational thing.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s my biggest gripe too, so I just take the glasses off.

1 Like

The wife is going to buy anti fog glasses. Itā€™s funny if you donā€™t wear glasses.

Personally I might prefer if people worse the transparent plastic masks over.their mouths so I could see what they are saying more clearly. Also I might prefer wearing them as well.

Nah, I like the fact I donā€™t have to shave for work every day now.

6 Likes

This!

1 Like

My female students have said they like it even more, because they can skip their morning make-up routine. Silver linings of mask culture, I guess.

2 Likes

I donā€™t have a heavy beard, but what does appear is as gray as the contents of a crematorium urn. I shave every two days, so that I donā€™t look like an unhinged professor, but lately Iā€™ve been lazier with my morning ablutions, only shaving every 3-4 days. Silver linings, indeed!

4 Likes

I have found myself not bothering to check the mirror anymore before I leave home to make sure I donā€™t have the smoothie I was just drinking around my mouth or in my beard. :roll_eyes::sweat_smile:

#exposed ?

3 Likes

I use anti fog spray for swimming goggles on my cycling glasses. Works like a charm.

2 Likes

Perhaps the SARS outbreak of 2013 gave the people of Taiwan greater immunity?

1 Like

Unless there were massive numbers of asymptomatic and untested SARS cases, only a tiny percentage of people had it.

I have a theory about Taiwanā€™s success to date. The CDC got in early and did an outstanding job.

7 Likes

Masks are a good acne hider and for Brits an effective bad teeth hider.

1 Like