Coronavirus - Taiwan (October-December 2020)

They still live like in the 50’s-60’s!

1 Like

I’m surprised they are still alive today with a lifetime of poor risk management

They made it this far, so who am I to say? : D

Guy

2 Likes

Not just in Taiwan…old people (myself included) have a much larger set of behavioral biases…

1 Like

Don’t elderly Taiwanese people visit the doctor at an egregious rate? They probably think they don’t need a mask because they’ll visit for their every-other-day checkup anyway.

Taiwan does not really have GPs, or general “check ups”—so probably … no.

Guy

exaggerating the high frequency of doctor’s office visits, not implying that people are actually going for a general checkup. My point is that people will go for any and all ailments, even just to ‘check-up’ when there isn’t actually anything wrong

I get your point. But I still don’t think that’s why old folks (and others) have ditched their masks. I imagine they’ve done so because they’ve become convinced that there is no coronavirus in their midst.

Cheers,
Guy

1 Like

It’s been empirically proved there is no virus in our midst. Until we have fresh cases of local transmission I really don’t know why anyone would wear one. You’re protecting against a one in a million scenario.

Well, the assumption here is full compliance with quarantine, which—as we have seen—is not always the case, right?

The recent international arrivals, including those students from Indonesia, must also be part of the mix.

Risk management sounds better to me than trying to stamp out the fire afterwards.

Guy

6 Likes

I’m a new disciple of wearing masks and using alcohol wipes.

I haven’t even had a case of a common cold (Rhinovirus), since I started wearing a mask in public. I’m enjoying not coughing sneezing and snotting. I’m not going to stop wearing masks even after the China Virus magically disappears as Trump keeps telling us.

As for the alcohol wipes, I use them to wipe down the tables at restaurants where I eat. You should see the muck that comes up off the tables after a light rub. One restaurant owner saw me pull out my alcohol wipes and she commented that my table was just wiped and therefore was unnecessary for me to clean it myself. I did it anyway and then showed the owner the brown greasy shit I wiped up off her “just cleaned” table. She wasn’t pleased, but I had a clean table to eat off!

Oh, I also bring my own zipper bag with spoon, fork and chopsticks. If I forget, then I wipe down their chopsticks and bowls with my alcohol wipes. Try it yourselves. You’ll be disheartened to see how dirty “clean” restaurants are in Taiwan.

5 Likes

Used to. Before the plague. Because it is free for folks over 65. Like riding on the bus.

1 Like

The guys who threw the chicken shit at the HK restaurant were from China. As long as we have these elements in our midst, better keep on wearing masks. Do not let them win!!!

1 Like

Started doing this when our first kid was born, haven’t stopped. Some tables in restaurants are absolutely filthy even though they may not look it. Worse is the stuff you can’t see, A Huang and his xiao san with their oh so cute cat or dog sitting wiping it’s ass on the table you’ll be sitting at later…

Always! They generally just get a quick rise under the cold tap, maybe a swizzle around if you’re lucky.

2 Likes

Do you have a source for that? Didn’t see anything in the local news indicating they weren’t Taiwanese .

Masks are demonstrably good don’t get me wrong. But personally I really don’t like wearing them. Up to the individual I guess. But wearing them to go hiking or play sports, I really do not get.

I only wear them on public transport and wherever there are gatherings of people. As for hiking or surfing…nope.

For the record, until the China Virus, I thought people wearing surgical masks were a bunch of dumb-assed wankers and I’d be the last person on this planet to voluntarily wear a mask. But, since I’ve started wearing them, I’ve gotten used to them and feel kind of naked without them.

Sort of like wearing a seatbelt in an automobile. Back in the day when seatbelts were new, we despised wearing them and even though cars started being manufactured with them we still wouldn’t wear them. Then, when the big bad, jack-booted government hacks passed laws requiring them, many people rebelled and felt the government was overstepping their rights. But, now for me, I can’t put the car in drive without feeling the safety and assurance of the shoulder strap of the safety belt across my body.

Anyway…wanna join hands around the campfire and sing kumbaya?

Will we also be roasting marshmallows?

1 Like

If a jackass with the virus breaks quarantine and paints the town red, you could have at least 2-4 weeks of the virus spreading before people start getting sick and showing up at clinics/hospitals. If you’re living in a big city, taking public transportation, going to restaurants and bars, and so on, you could easily be exposed before anyone knows that the virus has arrived.

The virus is raging out there. Over 400,000 new cases confirmed yesterday, a new record. Figure the real number is 5-20x more than that. People from countries with the virus continue to arrive here everyday and we know that not everyone takes the quarantine seriously. We should be vigilant and not forget why we don’t have any local transmission today. Since there’s no social distancing anymore, mask wearing is the best defense we have.

7 Likes

There never was any social distancing here was there? Not much anyway…

@tempogain can we split this thread? I’m having real issues loading it…

1 Like