Coronavirus - Taiwan Open August 2021

But, do I have to pay the $$$ if I shared the lift with my neighbour who was later found to be positive? I am not against the Q, just being forced to pay for something that someone else decides that I must endure. It’s different from the arriving traveller as that can be avoided by not travelling.

2 Likes

Government should compensate all quarantine expenses including hotel stays, THAT I do agree with.

8 Likes

I disagree. I don’t think your concerns are unreasonable.

This on the other hand…

4 Likes

I highly doubt you’d be forced to pay cent one for a quarantine caused by accidental exposure. No one in their right mind would pay that bill.

2 Likes

Just having gone through the airport I would say that its just a matter of time before Delta will be here. Especially the “special” taxi thing seems questionable. There is nothing special about the taxis and the drivers only defense is a standard mask. With the trips taking anywhere from 30 minutes to a few hours its almost certain at some point a driver will get infected.

Id rather pay a security guard to sit 24/7 outside my home door to prove I am home than paying a shitty quarantine hotel $10k a day (we are a family).

4 Likes

4 posts were split to a new topic: Chances of survival with Covid

For sure. Delta just got into NZ from an infected person opening their door in a quarantine hotel. Virus jumped out and into the next door room. It’s that dangerous.

1 Like

They’ll come and disinfect them, take to a shelter. Maybe they’ll do the same to your kids? Just kidding about the kids.

That allegedly happened a few times in Quarantine Hotels in Australia, before Delta had been heard of.

1 Like

All people? What percentage of people cannot be trusted? The vast majority of people here can be trusted to stay in quarantine in their homes. I noticed the local lizhangs were monitoring people, too. There is a miniscule group that cannot be trusted. Innocent until proven guilty?
Instead of the government texting at the same exact time to check on people, they could make it more random. That would be smarter if they really think people are cheating. Some Taiwanese are knowingly coming home without the PCR test results and the government fine is only 10k.
I don’t have any numbers of how many people are in quarantine and how many break the rules. If anyone has those numbers, then we’ve really got something to talk about.
It appears hotel quarantine is an easy way to subsidize the hotel industry without the Taiwanese government having to pay for it.

4 Likes

Enough to cause very serious trouble when the authorities are still chasing the zero COVID dream.

Of course if you don’t mind the virus taking off in the community, things can be done much differently. See for example Canada, the US, the UK, etc. But as we all know, Taiwan has not taken that path and almost certainly will not go there until vaccinations are deemed to be at an acceptable level (perhaps early 2022?).

Guy

2 Likes

Taiwan did go really well with Home Quarantine before this latest outbreak caused the Government to remove the Home part. Yes a few showed they could not be trusted, and paid a hefty fine as a result. The Hotels of course are now jumping for joy as they can just hike the rates up, as the ‘customers’ have only two choices - pay up or don’t travel to Taiwan.

2 Likes

Option three is perhaps try to transit in the UK to receive government quarantine facilities gratis.

Guy

1 Like

We literally have no idea, we only know the people who were caught. I bet that was a small percentage of people who broke quarantine rules. We only need a single mistake and have a DELTA outbreak.

A lot of people coming back now are those who went abroad for vaccination and to be honest, they just need to suck it up. Everyone should know that travelling in COVID times comes with risks and the situation could change any day. We are already 1.5 years in now, so its not like people can plead ignorance

Unfortunately, like with many social contracts in society, it only takes a few rotten apples to screw things up for everyone.

1 Like

This is Taiwan. You can’t even fart without the government knowing. You can best believe everyone that was staying at home was being watched in some way… (phone tracking, cameras, Lizhang, neighborhood snitches, cops roaming around). Hell, they caught kids that ran out for 5 minutes to get night market food.

3 Likes

I dont agree and have heard enough stories

That’s exactly why I don’t buy the required quarantine hotel part.

1 Like

I’m a firm believer in loosening restrictions IN Taiwan. But as for the borders… the world is a giant Delta petri-dish. Other former COVID-proof champs like Australia and New Zealand are now falling apart due to it. We could be COVID free for months, but as long as the world is a mess we shouldn’t loosen anything when it comes to border control. And kids in quarantine should definitely not be sneaking off to crowded night markets…

9 Likes

6 + 3 = 9 and one more death.

6 Likes