Coronavirus - Taiwan Open August 2021

Lol – just had lunch with coworker at a restaurant and they made us sit diagonal from each other, with the divider in the middle at a 4-seater table. we laughed and even the waiter laughed and apologized, its so ridiculous. But the rules are the rules, so we sat awkwardly speaking extra loud across the divider (to be able to hear each other). The glare on the plastic also made it hard to even see each other clearly. My goodness what a historic moment.

2 Likes

Dude, I know. I can’t even sit at the same table as my wife and daughter when I go to Starbucks. I feel like a stranger having to sit halfway across the dining area. (look, truth be told, it does have its upside, as I have an excuse to mess on my phone and zone out, instead of answering nonstop questions about Disney characters… :shushing_face: but, it’s still ridiculous)

7 Likes

More streaking before Delta arrives.

1 Like

Having your guard up and living one’s life are not mutually exclusive. Some people have the tendency to go overboard, that’s how the dam broke a few months ago in the first place.

I think we should all keep our guards up. Don’t let your guard down too early. Guard up = good. Be a good Guardian.

Jesus

3 Likes

I’m with @hannes on this. Having seen how certain folks here let loose (with their tea house / KTV / meet the mistress and visit every damn department store on the island / etc), I would not mind continuing the caution to keep this positive trend going.

Guy

1 Like

So we’re doomed then?

Jesus neva wore no face mask.

If Delta comes here locals will need a complete re-education on how to do this. Exhibit A talking in elevators. What’s that about?

But that exactly is mask fatigue. No one even thinks how to optimize mask efficiency. They just think, mask on good, mask off bad.

2 Likes

No we are not doomed.

There were seven cases found in the community. We know numbers rise as the week progresses. Hopefully this can continue to be contained.

Guy

But there is no caution. See the post above. People are idiots. It’s like social distancing. No one has ever been socially distanced in Taiwan ever. Why even talk about it?

I am not seeing this among locals.

The key is to think of these puppies like socks, or glasses, or other potentially annoying aspects of life that we actually live with.

And yes I know how bears think of these things!

Guy

1 Like

Of course not. I was being facetious, but I strongly suspect certain libertine habits of the local population will not necessarily be held off indefinitely.

Jesus. I’m seeing smokers standing out Family Mart with masks off.

It’s like, why am I wearing a mask again?

Guys they’re letting their guards down.

Hang on, I’m arguing with myself.

3 Likes

It’s like your breath will vanish into nothing.

No talking!

First thing they shuttered in Australia, MALLS

I’m in!

2 Likes

I think you might be missing the point. The dude didn’t have a ringing in his ear and then he got COVID. When he recovered, he had such a loud ringing in his ear that he decided he could not live anymore. Did COVID “cause” it? Well, COVID caused something that previously wasn’t a problem to become a problem. This obsession with “preexisting conditions” is moot. We all might have tinnitus for all we know! And maybe we won’t find out until we get COVID. Do you want to test that theory or do you want to take sensible precautions?

Also, tinnitus isn’t something that can be diagnosed, so the fact that there’s an association saying anything about it is completely bonkers to me. Basically, you go to the doctor and say “I have this ringing in my ear” and the doctor says “well, it’s probably tinnitus” and then you go home. And if you’re in the US, you get a bill in the mail for US$500 a few weeks later.

1 Like

So, you invest a ton of money in dividers, a COVID positive specimen walks in and you can close your place for two weeks! :roll_eyes: Any point in putting up these plastic things?

2 Likes

Of course there’s no point. It’s theatre.

1 Like