Coronavirus - Taiwan Open July 2021

Masks appear to have taken on the status of a genuine magic talisman. It doesn’t matter what you do, as long as you wear your mask the evil spirits will be scared away. If anything, the new rules make even less sense than 3.5 (which was already a random assortment of chocolate-coated monkey bollocks).

Can’t remember who it was who mentioned it earlier, but I can’t help wondering if they’re just making a significant amount from “fining” people for “mask violations”, and don’t want to lose that nice little source of coffee money.

6 Likes

They have lowered the restriction on how many people can meet together. That one point is good for me because my private group classes can begin again. My bank account will be happy.

3 Likes

Good! I hope this can help at least some people out there.

Guy

2 Likes

That is indeed what happened.
The real reason…All these older codgers in government don’t like water sports and probably can’t swim.

And they distrust young people .

Notice hiking is allowed because older people love hiking.

9 Likes

Yeah, if they’re determined to stop it spreading, keeping offices WFH is the best way. My office is fairly small, has piss poor ventilation and lots of shared equipment. If one person gets it here, the entire company will.

Yet WFH is stopping now. Many places I know stopped it a couple of weeks ago.

4 Likes

I would actually like to go into the office more.
But it’s not a great idea in reality and completely unnecessary for me.

Question #1, more serious: has anything actually been announced yet, or is it just leaked information so far?

Question #2, idle musing: so are we going to hit a stage where we are allowed to eat in a restaurant with other people, but are not allowed to eat take-out at a table or bench outside, due to the need to remove a mask?

12 Likes

Taiwanese like to over complicate what is somewhat simple. Have you seen any financial advisor? Math classes? Simple building policies? It is in their blood.

8 Likes

If it is a real level 2 they should approve of this. Utterly nonsense but at least would get people to enjoy the water.

3 Likes

Workplaces have pure bred hukou holders. Only virus carrying foreigners mostly on hot beaches and river fronts!

2 Likes
3 Likes

Can I second that?!

2 Likes

:joy: :rofl: :joy: you made my day. That’s exactly what’s going to happen!

8 Likes

Have been every day. I can’t recall them ever referencing those stats to allay fears about Covid deaths. That’s why I asked for a source. A specific source. I guess you couldn’t find one to link me? After 8 months of this you’d think they would have said it just once :wink: :man_shrugging:

Dropping down a level while keeping most of the same restrictions seems to be only political theater, but only achieves two things: people think the virus situation is under control and we can eat out now / send kids to school. As if there’s no chance of it getting worse from here. It just feels like a bad idea.

this comes to mind

mission-accomplished-moment

5 Likes

We’d need a benchmark for “bloody useless”. Fewer than a thousand deaths with Covid so far seems pretty good relative to most countries.

2 Likes

They know there’s a very high likeliehood cases will increase again. But people and businesses need a break.

1 Like

Very brief Focus Taiwan story (i.e. in English!) of what seems to be happening. Basically … reducing to Level 2; details to come after press conference later today.

3 Likes

What’s the alternative? We let small businesses die and kids regress from keeping schools shut down? At a certain point you have to pull the trigger. Maybe there’s an argument for regional instead of national levels. At least in my city we haven’t had a case in 2 or 3 weeks. Explain to a small business owner why he has to fire more workers or declare bankruptcy because you think it’s still too soon.

5 Likes

Provide more government assistance?

1 Like