Coronavirus - Taiwan Open July 2021

There definitely seems to be dissent in the ranks. I think they’re just discovering what everybody else already knew: once you spread fear among the populace, you can’t just switch it off when you feel like it.

I absolutely hate this “we’re following the science” BS. Every country has done it. It’s weak, cowardly, indecisive, and above all ignorant. It’s useful for politicians, because they can offload tough (and potentially unpopular) decisions onto this mythical thing called “science” that acts as a power independent of, and bigger than themselves. If it all turns to shit they can blame science (because there was “no choice” - they were merely doing what the gods of science dictated). If it turns out OK they can applaud themselves.

In reality there is no scientific principle that says “in case of COVID, lock down”. There are no “if this then do that” principles in science at all. Science is nothing more than a way of finding stuff out. Or at least it was a few years ago. Now, apparently, science in not just an oracle but a black box from which policy can be pulled.

3 Likes

Is the government not giving out loans to businesses? Insane if they aren’t.

So even if you get the vax you can still spread the virus? Wasn’t that why we need to vilify anti-vaxers, because only they can spread the virus. Now anybody can spread it? Wtf

A joke? The Uk had already opened up too. No quarantine was the exciting development.

FYI

1 Like

It’s hard to get any loans in taiwan. I tried to get a government loan and was denied.

Another hot take from Ko based on nothing, but whatever manic brain-fart pops into his mind at any given moment. Reminds me a bit of Trump. The truth is, we would be in single digits if Taipei under his watch wasn’t dropping the ball so much on contact tracing and other mop-up operations.

3 Likes

So younger people who aren’t vulnerable don’t really need to take the jab? This is good news!

3 Likes

Taiwan’s Trump :laughing:

1 Like

most younger people here want to get vaccine mostly for travel, no?

I thought medical science is about finding p-value lower than 0.05 for test results and actual results to prove a hypothesis.

I mean, he’s not nearly as bad and his flaws are very different. But from a shooting-off-at-the-mouth-without-knowing-the-science position, yeah.

1 Like

He reminds me of Elon Musk. Is Ko autistic?

1 Like

Him too. He has that same egocentric streak that often results in self-destructive actions.

Yeah, my wife mentioned he has Aspergers once. Don’t know if it’s true. Not a dig against anyone who has ASD, of course. I often wonder if I have a touch of it myself!

1 Like

Only getting it because you want to go take some selfies in Bali sounds pretty dumb. But I think you’re right.

You will be suprised how many young people here call travelling abroad as their “dream” as in if they cant go abroad 5 times a year then their life is boring. So, it doesnt suprise me if people want vaccines to go abroad

2 Likes

Not sure if sarcasm?

Science is little more a philosophical toolkit for proving that a hypothesis is false. It has had a few clagnuts bolted onto it over the years - the processes of technological discovery borrow from science, even though they’re not science - but that’s science in a nutshell.

It is not something that you can use to inform policy unless you already know what your policy goals are. If you don’t have any goals then science is unlikely to help you construct some; and even if you do have some goals, it’s of only very limited value.

To be fair there are also people who want to travel to see old or sick family and friends that they haven’t seen now for well over a year. As well as other legitimate reasons.

3 Likes

I’m somewhat of a tinder, travel, philanthropist myself. Nothing gives my life meaning like traveling around the world, hooking up with randoms on tinder, and pretending I’m a good person over intstagram.

I’ll take as many vaccines as Pfizer can put out. As long as I can go to Cancun, crush beers and slay ***** with my boys!

Give me 3 doses of Pfizer and a 26 of grey goose. Let’s ****** party, boys!

2021 and the party is back on!
#teampfizer

I think they had announced that foreign owned business would be eligible. But whether they actually get it or not is another story.