Coronavirus Taiwan Open - July-December 2022

I know – you’ve mentioned your health issues before, and you have my sympathy for that.

But I didn’t call you “hypothetical”, not at all. You misunderstood what I wrote there. “Hypothetical” was referring to the actually hypothetical immunocompromised people who keep being wheeled out in support of whatever arbitrary measures we’re discussing, as in this previous post of yours (which is one of the things I was referencing):

Immunocompromised/vulnerable people exist, sure. But like @finley said, I’m skeptical that there are as many of these people about as comments like yours above suggest (maybe someone could find an estimated number?). I would agree that this guy you mentioned probably shouldn’t be visiting such people while he’s sick, and the immunocompromised/vulnerable people themselves probably shouldn’t be accepting visitors.

If I were immunocompromised/vulnerable, it would strike me as in my best interests to minimize my contact with others for the sake of my own health. I probably wouldn’t be expecting everybody else in society to make dramatic and unwanted changes to their lives indefinitely – and be harmed themselves in the process – because it might protect me a bit against one/some of the things I’m vulnerable to.

You might think it’s a selfish attitude from those of us who are tired of these measures with no clear end point, but I don’t see how it’s much more selfish than expecting everyone else to endure the measures indefinitely to “protect” whoever these vulnerable people are. We’re all slowly dying, and I’d personally prefer not to keep being made miserable by this stuff in the time I have left before I get hit by a bus or otherwise die of something that’s probably not going to be COVID. :man_shrugging:

6 Likes