Coronavirus - Taiwan OPEN June 2021

I’m pointing out that you’re saying stuff that you may be ashamed of later, when you regain your sanity. And it’ll still be there out there on the internet.

Even if you were only halfway serious, calling for children to be fined on behalf of their parents isn’t particularly funny. It’s a very short step from thinking such things to pondering on which scapegoat deserves to be killed pour encourager les autres. Don’t think it can’t happen to you.

A month ago home quarantine was accepted as a valid method of quarantine … because it is. People do adhere to it, by and large. And yet, now it isn’t, for no apparent reason (I suspect money comes into it somewhere).

Even the occasional escapee is irrelevant, as I pointed out several posts ago. The fact remains that Taiwan is no longer COVID-free. The vanishingly-small chances of a quarantine-skipper bringing in some variant is not a big deal, in the grand scheme of things: Taiwan is undoubtedly evolving its own private ecosystem of viruses anyway.

2 Likes

Yeah it’s not a completely new disease, we were already doing a decent job at containing a virulent variant. If we went in level 3 and found there was spread, then there would be trouble

Unlike you, who has never said anything wrong about the COVID pandemic. I’m sorry to see someone whose posts I used to enjoy turn into such a truther on the subject of COVID, but that’s the way it goes I suppose.

Unlike jokes about the Rwandan genocide. Those are gut busters. :roll_eyes:

So the Delta variant entering community transmission is “no apparent reason” in your book?

False. It makes a huge difference. Countries like the UK and Israel had COVID under control. They were opening up. Then when the Delta variant appeared, cases again exploded. So yes, keeping out Delta is vitally important to controlling COVID.

4 Likes

If “truther” means telling the truth, I’ll accept that epithet. I’ve certainly made a few mistakes - the one about malaria springs to mind - but I’m generally very careful about my statistics. I doubt you’ll find anything in my previous posts that’s demonstrably false.

No. I could go off on a long rambling post explaining why not, but nobody would care.

Nobody has had COVID “under control”, at any point, ever, since March 2020. But I realise some people find it comforting to imagine that Nature will one day bend to our will.

I’ll ask you the same question I asked Marco back there: exactly how much pain are you comfortable with inflicting upon others, and to how many others? How many life-years are you prepared to take away from complete strangers - people who have never done you any harm - in pursuit of an unattainable goal? Get this straight in your own head, and you may find your way back off the precipice you’re standing on.

2 Likes

Any one know if the Tainan cluster is Delta Variant ?

A post was merged into an existing topic: Coronavirus - Delta Variant

Plague land LOL
i have not been on public transport for 4 weeks.
It was not that long ago the headlines were about a foreigner giving an old granny the middle finger on the MRT now there is an f…ing plague. The good old days huh.

2 Likes

Oh no, that’s horrible, condolences.

One thing I’d like to propose: if you have friends who live by themselves, please make a chain, have someone keep tabs, so if anything sudden happens, someone will notice quickly

If you are a foreigner who lives by themselves,have someone with an extra key, someone to contact in case of emergency, tell your job to check on you if you do not show up.

Thinking of this case and the Nauru student.

Ps.
And get an oxymeter, a real one, like yours truly hypochondriac and official doomsayer.

3 Likes

New measure

Immediately prohibiting inbound passengers from airport pick-ups by relatives and friends
CECC announced, CNA reported, Google translated

2 Likes

As said, they are passing this in Line. Usually elder folk get their content from TikTok, passed along on Line.

For you and me and anyone else if we see the simplified characters and Chinese lingo from China proper that is a red flag. For them, who push the “how great China is” because they have the brainwashing that “people abroad hate us Chinese” and include themselves in that bowl, well, they do not have the same reaction. I believe this is a consequence of the Martial Law and the imposing of the China is glorious, we will retake the mainland curriculum in their youths. Hence, they lap the lies now pushed like my cats take to chicken mash.

The government memes cannot get to them as they hate the government- took away their pensions, they say- and distrust the greens. Again, a consequence of the education system.

And I bet if there is a counterattack of truth videos on TikTok, they will be erased.

However, there needs to be a counter wave to this nonsense.

1 Like

because of Delta, maybe nobody knows right now.

WTF? Are they saying that previously relatives and friends were able to pick up inbound passengers and take them to their quarantine accommodations? I thought everyone was required to use the quarantine taxi service?

If that wasn’t the case, how was that not a violation of the most basic principles of quarantine?

3 Likes

You can’t fix stupid. Not PC to say it, but some 60 something village idiot who has been operating her whole life with the equivalent of a 4th grade education isn’t going to understand why the vaccine disinformation claims are so farcical.

And sadly there are a lot of stupid barely functioning young people who were raised by these idiots too.

At this point I say let Darwin work.

3 Likes

I thought they managed to contain it? :neutral_face:

If this visa ban goes on for too much longer I don’t know what I’m gonna do, I feel like I could get actual depression.

8 posts were merged into an existing topic: From coronavirus

15 posts were merged into an existing topic: Coronavirus Open Thread 2021

It would be useful if they could update daily the total number of quarantine rooms available (including government facilities and quarantine hotels).

During the weekend minister Chen said it was 21k rooms combined available.

Or if they can’t/won’t update during the presser then at least have this information on their website so people can plan accordingly instead of checking the availability of every single one of the listed hotels in the whole country.

2 Likes

This thread has really degenerated a lot over the last month. Used to have nearly only good and useful posts in it. Not any longer unfortunately. :sleepy:

Seems like the semi-lockdown has also had an impact on the posting behavior of some people on this forum and the type of people newly joining this forum

11 Likes

Which is why I hardly check this anymore. I just get my news off Twitter, from journalists who provide a summary of daily presscons. Can’t be helped I guess, people have too much time now staying at home.

5 Likes

I notice the same with me which is really sad since it really accelerates the deterioration. The garbage drives out the people who before made great contributions which makes the relative share of the garbage content rise further which further drives out people who before made great contributions and so on

6 Likes