Coronavirus Taiwan - Specific Developments April 2022

I don’t really get the point of testing anymore anyway. If you have symptoms then isolate for X number of days, what does getting an official diagnosis do for anyone? It’s not like cancer where they can give you treatment. Proof so you can take time off work? Proof so your insurance will pay out?

9 Likes

For me it’s so I can go about my daily business. Because I am a contact of a relative who may have been in contact with a child who tested positive.

2 Likes

Contacts of contacts have to test daily?

Is that your boss making you do that?

I share an apartment with the possible contact.

You don’t have to test daily.

No I know. But this same scenario has played everywhere. You just have to accept that at every pivot in strategy there is a huge lag in on the ground resourcing. Plus in Taiwan everyone decides they must have test kits yesterday. It was exactly the same way back in March 2020 when people were going mad trying to get masks, that they didn’t actually need that urgently.

3 Likes

Interesting - my daytime students have been pretty much all wearing masks, all the way through. Across around 150 students, I’ve got one student - who has strong night school vibes, shall we say - who I’ve told, again and again (again and again during the same sessions), to pull the mask up over his nose. A couple of months ago I didn’t care, but now, with everyone else masking up, I care again - especially because he stands out so much from everyone else in his class, and I’ve repeatedly had students indirectly complain about how some students don’t wear their masks properly and it makes them nervous.

2 Likes

They knew this would eventually happen. They knew what the demand would be. And they had observed what had happened in other countries.

3 Likes

A guy from the pharmacy just counted the line and presumably told some people at the back they were out of luck because they walked off.

1 Like

I bet these students are bringing their workplace habits (such as they are) into your classroom.

In my experience, the daytime (i.e. regularly admitted students) are already socialized into a culture of compliance, at least in the classroom.

Guy

1 Like

Canada too.

Taiwan’s advantage is that we actually know how to make stuff here.

I wonder if the inertia is based on testing never being front-and-center in the CECC’s response to this virus.

Guy

1 Like

The government computer system’s down. We have to come back at midday.

Outstanding

4 Likes

For test kits?

Today cases will break 10,000 according to TVBS

2 Likes

Yes

1 Like

How does the supply of test kits to pharmacies work? It’s presumably not free market where pharmacies can source their own kits, but rather must purchase from some government agency. Do the pharmacies have to pay cash? What margin can they charge? These kits are expensive and there’s a high volume of them, as a business they would want to have a decent amount of working capital. [Apologies if been discussed/linked already.]

1 Like

I have been caused immense inconvenience trying to buy pointless test kits for a virtually harmless disease in order to have the right to work under the diktat of incompetent people.

Well, at least it isn’t raining.

11 Likes

Don’t hold your breath

2 Likes

Maybe when you go at midday they’ll find a reason to tell you to come back tomorrow.

3 Likes

I think one thing to bear in mind with these tests is that some countries resolved their supply problems by getting on the phone to China and shipping in Chinese made (lol) tests. So we won’t have access to this emergency lever that some other politicians did internationally, and probably all the better.

But organisations putting it on individuals to secure their own tests, so quintessentially Taiwan wack, pushing it all down the line. Every new policy they come up with has this unspoken assumption there is a magic ama sitting at home twiddling her thumbs, that can run errands and sort everything out.

5 Likes

They where giving out free test kits in U.K. (made in China) now most households have boxes of em unused.

Got to the stage everyone got fed up of doing them 3 times a day, so they just stopped.
Think how much wastage that has caused!
Amount of government money wasted!

Shortage isn’t a bad thing.

4 Likes