Coronavirus Taiwan - Specific Developments July-October 2022

Well OK, that’s your business. And the CECC is doing their business, in this case by keeping tracking of what is coming into the country.

It is possible for both of you to do your things at the same time.

Guy

I’m with DrewC on this… Please, let’s move on. My dad asked me why Taiwan didn’t make Pelosi do quarantine. lol Let’s open up already.

6 Likes

I can’t believe anyone wouldn’t want to open up now. Strange days.

1 Like

Besides vaccines what can they do? The restrictions are proven not to work. Face facts. Time to move on, end the clown show and possibly blast Chen clock into space in a rocket.

1 Like

The pieces I have read in the past couple of days lament the fact that my country of birth—Canada—currently seems to treat vaccines as the sole mitigation tool.

Taiwan has never taken this approach. They have viewed vaccines as part of a toolbox of mitigation measures. I have not seen any indication that the authorities in Taiwan will suddenly mutate into the Justin Trudeau government. Sorry if this disappoints you; it does not disappoint me.

Guy

1 Like

It is disappointing all the time and money and parts of our lives wasted on following restrictions that don’t even work. I agree with you there.

6 Likes

Guess we have to be thankful for small mercies.

Frankly, I see a lot of parallels; for example Taiwan forced a lot of people into a corner “for their own good” and are now busy pretending that none of it ever happened.

The last we heard from the CECC is that they’ll open up when 50% of kids have been vaccinated. Is that really a sensible goal? Where is their legal authority to set (and then ignore) these arbitrary targets? And the deeper mystery is why other power-brokers even listen to them.

4 Likes

For the reference of other forumosans, here is one the pieces I’ve read. It appeared in the Globe and Mail—hardly a leftist newspaper, more corporate establishment. This is what they have to say now, in August 2022:

Guy

It reads like a standard propaganda release. Get lots of boosters, and let’s all try to stamp out misinformation! You know, like the fact that Canada is averaging one “of or with” COVID death per million per day, and has done for a very long time. Not unlike Taiwan, curiously enough.

It says more than that. It says we need a better coordination of global vaccination. It says we need better recognition that this is an airborne virus—and to deal with better air flow and safer situations when we meet in groups. It says that we need better paid leave systems for folks who get infected. It says we need to push for better treatment methods than we have with the current anti-virals.

In short, there’s still lots to do. And if we don’t do it, the piece states, we will (as Canada has shown) be bouncing from crisis to crisis.

Guy

2 Likes

Right. More vaccines, more vaccines, more vaccines.

Or we could just recognise that trying to make “airflow” safe is dangerously similar to standing on the beach and telling the tide to recede.

Social security systems are nothing to do with COVID. Europe has had paid sick leave for an awful long time.

Doctors know perfectly well how to treat COVID. It’s been going on for three bloody years, why wouldn’t they? So it’s a pity doctors aren’t just left alone to do their jobs.

Well, they could try to stop manufacturing crises then. It sounds simple, but it works.

I notice the woman submitting her child for medical experiments is grossly obese. There’s one proper crisis they still haven’t bothered doing anything about.

EDIT: oops, I was warned the other day that I shouldn’t post stuff that’s off-topic. If anyone grumbles again, I’m going to blame you for posting a completely irrelevant article about Canada in the Taiwan thread.

5 Likes

Or we could treat it like the flu and not a crisis for which we need more government control over our lives.

3 Likes

Indeed. As you’ve observed, everything is fine!

Guy

No, I didn’t observe that. I implied that governments are supposed to worry about the totality of the country’s problems, and not waste money on their favourite pet project.

1 Like

Which again takes us to Taiwan, the focus on this thread, and how the authorities here have somehow resisted turning to forumosans for public health advice.

They do not view this virus as “the flu” and they do not think that vaccines alone are enough.

Hopefully someday you guys can get the hang of this instead of imagining that the Tsai government will suddenly act like Bojo or Trump—and then complain when they do not.

Guy

Idk how you see this playing out. It’s already out there and we have to live with it. There’s no putting the genie back in the bottle.

3 Likes

I wonder how many Forumosans have yet to contract Covid? It’s hitting hard now here in the Japanese countryside. I may be the last person in all of Japan to contract Covid as I’m hiding out here in my 7 acre sanctuary like a post-World War 2 Japanese soldier who refuses to surrender.

4 Likes

Yeah, it’d be interesting to run a poll. I get the feeling about 50% of us have had it, or at least “tested positive”.

1 Like

Agree. That’s why the Taiwan authorities abandoned Zero COVID.

So now what? Act like it’s over? They don’t think so, and the sources I’m reading in the Globe and Mail (as discussed above) don’t think so either. This means some form of management / mitigation. What will that look like, what resources and strategies will be needed? That’s exactly the process we’re watching in real time.

Guy

1 Like

Yes, that is the problem we are discussing (though I don’t know who on this forum has argued that vaccines are “enough”.)

Hopefully someday you, Guy, can understand this.

1 Like