Coronavirus Taiwan - Specific Developments May/June 2022

Life goes on as usual. Club was mostly full Friday and Saturday night. Gym was pretty quiet yesterday. Restaurant has full tables tonight.

I had 3 shots of the medigen. I still think I got the COVID here in Taipei in March 2020. Fever, diarrhea, running nose. Isolated at home with family. I was on a different floor.

It’s really on a tear.

Unless the hospitals get full I don’t see the point of any soft lockdown.

Daughter’s school is shut the last 2 weeks. Hope my school shuts. I can’t stand the woman I work with. Come to find out she is famous in that no one wants to work with her. What a shitty initiation as the new guy.

Oh, does anyone know if that is a COVID testing station on the southwest corner of Daan Park? It’s beside the government building there.

6 Likes

Thank you! Are then yilan, hualien and Keelung the COVID hotspots in Taiwan? Or do they possibly comparatively test more?

There is no way that massive Hualien is the current “hot spot,” especially with cases still concentrated (though not exclusively so) in northern Taiwan.

Guy

Almost half of moderate COVID cases reported in Taiwan Sunday received booster shot: CECC | Taiwan News | 2022-05-01 20:33:00

Taiwan News headline says

Despite a spike in COVID-19 cases in Taiwan, the country will not stop relaxing restrictions

But then in the article it says
Despite new COVID-19 cases continuing to surge in Taiwan, the country will continue to gradually relax restrictions imposed to prevent the spread of the virus, and the plan is that priority will be given to people who have been fully vaccinated or have received the booster shot, CECC head Chen Shih-chung (陳時中) said during Sunday’s briefing as he urged people to get vaccinated as soon as possible.

So which one is correct?

Bit confused what you mean.

Title and content mean the same thing. Taiwan will continue to relax quarantine measures

3 Likes

for all interested I have changed the color scheme, to make the higher case rates more distinguishable. (basically just using the original groupings x6)

4 Likes

6 posts were merged into an existing topic: Coronavirus Taiwan Open - April/May 2022

Here’s a revealing stat to consider:

From April 23-29, the positivity rate – the proportion of samples tested for COVID-19 that return positive – averaged 9.63 percent for all of Taiwan, but was 21.98 percent in New Taipei and 14.78 percent in Taipei, according to CECC data.

Source: https://focustaiwan.tw/society/202205010015

Guy

1 Like

Er… hopefully I can distract the two jousting knights with my tale…

For I have had the darndest day. Texted by school telling me to quarantine due to one of my students and that my day 0 was Thursday. Now I live on the sixth floor of a walkup with no way of opening the main door downstairs with a button. So I was worried about ordering any food due to having to go down and get it.

Many eggs and a little oats and milk and soy bean milk and seeds and nuts and fruit later, and my girlfriend says she’ll come back home from Taichung and bring me up some food.

Then while she was on her way my school texted me to say that the government had just phoned them with the news that I don’t need to quarantine at all.
:happyrunningaround:

And now my girlfriend has decided to stay elsewhere because it will be safer :exploding_head:

12 Likes

I think it’s the mentality of free food at CostCo for many parents and adults.
On a number of LINE groups I passively read, about half the talk every morning when waking up is “where to find test kits”, “it’s not that bad to take a rapid test”, “I did mine and it was painless”, etc. So, Taiwan maybe wants to be #1 in % of population getting testing, even with zero symptoms, just to make sure they won’t die in 14 days, and hence the logarithmic increase in positives in last week or so. just :2cents:

1 Like

does this have any proper legal basis? is there a follow up by police/ health authority/ gov agency of some sort?
are you immediately under supervision by phone tracking?

Are those home tests being lumped in with official results, though? I assumed the TPR figures were only from supervised tests.

Are those home test kits sold out, I feel weird today ?

Don’t know. I’m not taking tests, and even when I had COVID-like symptoms, I survived after a few days, as did the children.
Iddy-bitty amount of cough syrup and acetaminophen (otherwise known as Tylenol).
Edit: also gargle a few times a day with mouthwash that contains Cetytpyridnium chloride (spelling) at about 0.075%. Try to kill any germs in back of throat.
Not doctor’s advice, but that’s what I did.

3 Likes

Good to know

They are. You need to go through the rationing system.

I don’t know what is going on. I was contacted by no one else and apparently no one else has my details. And no, I’m not a kindergarten teacher, and I have an APRC. My best guess is that everything has been delegated to the schools under supervision, as suggested somewhere in April’s thread.

As to the comment that has been removed (Thank you Mods, if so), after too much messaging back and forth trying to understand her, she’s coming back but separate rooms, because it caused the poor girl shock and she’s even worried about giving me covid seeing as she’s been travelling. ETA: She just noticed the Taiwan Social Distancing app shows that she was in the MRT next to a confirmed case back on 20th April but it didn’t send her any notification. She’s been wearing her pink tinted face shield around all day.

Maybe that’s what I get for using the Red Men capture the Green Man as my avatar. Happy Beltane, everyone! :fire: :cow2: :fire:

5 Likes

6 posts were merged into an existing topic: Coronavirus Taiwan Open - April/May 2022