Coronavirus Taiwan - Specific Developments May/June 2022

They showed the actual ages only once before,

I wish they’d always do it.

Makes the stats more interesting.

Taiwan sure has a lot of old folks. (Had)

5 Likes

16 posts were merged into an existing topic: Coronavirus Open Thread 2022

This has been my gripe about COVID data in general, and a lot of professionals have expressed similar frustrations. It looks at first glance as if the authorities are attempting to be open and helpful. But when you actually try to perform any statistical operations on the data, you find that you can’t, because something has been done to make them close-to-useless. If you happen to know where the official spreadsheet is I’ll have a quick look at the age-at-death, but the quantization noise will introduce such a large amount of uncertainty into the outcome that I doubt it will be meaningful, given the tiny number of people who died “of” COVID.

I really don’t see how this can be anything but deliberate. Whatever else these people might be, they’re not idiots. My guess is that omicron is about to fade away, and the last thing anybody wants is for people to be conducting post-mortems (in any sense of the word).

It’s amazing, isn’t it, how the authorities are so supremely confident about complex and subtle aspects of COVID, but after two years and hundreds of millions of patients to observe, they haven’t been able to pin down one of those “mysteries” that looks like it might be rather easy to solve … particularly if you had reliable data on hand?

Recorded COVID death risk tracks all-cause mortality risk to an astonishing degree - the last time I checked I think the correlation was 0.9-something. Since all-cause risk for men is somewhat higher than for women generally, and no distinction is being made between ‘of’ and ‘with’ deaths, the observation that men die “of or with” COVID is most likely just a statistical artifact.

3 Likes

In case you missed it . . .

Guy

3 Likes

Report Completed1

Covid Stats For 2022-06-26

Local = 39,586

Imported = 60

Deaths = 134

Current Severity of Symptoms Statistics

Local Cases By Districts (Interactive Map)

8 Likes

Factors like obesity?

Report Completed1

134 COVID-19 Deaths Reported on June 26, 2022

Female = 64 (47.76%)
Male = 70 (52.24%)

Age Distribution

90s = 29 (21.64%)
80s = 46 (34.33%)
70s = 32 (23.88%)
60s = 19 (14.18%)
50s = 5 (3.73%)
40s = 2 (1.49%)
30s = 1 (0.75%)

Vaccination Doses

0 = 48 (35.82%)
1 = 10 (7.46%)
2 = 22 (16.42%)
3 = 51 (38.06%)
4 = 3 (2.24%)

Chronic Disease History

Yes = 127 (94.78%)
No = 7 (5.22%)

Vaccine Status For Deaths With No Chronic Disease History

0 = 4 (Ages - 80s, 80s, 70s, 60s)
2 = 1 (Age - 90s)
3 = 2 (Ages - 60s, 40s)

Click to see detailed cases report

4 Likes

If one takes those deaths as a fraction of the relevant population slice, the correlation with all-cause mortality risk is 0.9997. All-cause risk is inherently exponential, so we can get a more meaningful picture by taking the log of both risk values; this then yields a correlation of 0.994 (although for over-60’s, it’s still 0.9996). The implication is that COVID provides only a very, very small fraction of the reason for death in these cases, and that almost all of them died of what used to be called “old age”, or “natural causes”.

Of course this calculation is a bit suspect, based as it is on one day’s data. If anyone can post the link to the total dataset, I’ll attempt it again with all the published data. I’ll also attempt a more accurate extrapolation of decade-wide age bins than the rough-and-ready method I used here.

EDIT: found it, if anyone else is interested:

2 Likes

I seem to remember John Campbell reporting ONS data from the UK earlier this year which showed that 83% of those dying with Covid in the UK had underlying health conditions/co-morbidities

Wrong thread.

3 Likes

Looks like BTC recent price chart. :slight_smile:
thanks-

1 Like

Report Completed1

Covid Stats For 2022-06-27

Local = 28,489

Imported = 91

Deaths = 91

Local Cases By Districts (Interactive Map)

Table Of New Deaths From COVID-19 In Taiwan

https://covid-19.nchc.org.tw/deathstatistics.php?dt_name=1&downloadall=yes

7 Likes

5 posts were merged into an existing topic: Coronavirus Taiwan Open - April-June 2022

Good stuff.
On a sort of curious note.
Does anyone watch these pressers anymore now that #s broke below 30k?
Can anyone tell if the amount of viewers have receded?
In the U.S. it is sometimes easy to tell the # of viewers of some live (usually political) event by the count number of those logged into YouTube or whatnot.
Just wondering if local media have now gone onto the next biggest story like potential typhoons, scooters getting run over by cement truck, etc.

I see more fear-mongering about Monkey Pox nowadays (something no one in their right mind should be afraid of) than COVID in the media.

4 Likes

Report Completed1

COVID-19 Deaths Reported on June 27, 2022

Female = 34 (37.36%)

Male = 57 (62.64%)

Age Distribution

90s = 27 (29.67%)

80s = 24 (26.37%)

70s = 24 (26.370%)

60s = 9 (9.89%)

50s = 6 (6.59%)

30s =1 (1.10%)

Vaccination Doses

0 = 37 (40.66%)

1 = 10 (10.99%)

2 = 12 (13.19%)

3 = 32 (35.16%)

Chronic Disease History

Yes = 86 (94.51%)

None = 5 (5.49%)

Vaccine Status For Deaths With No Chronic Disease History

0 = 2 (Ages - 80s, 70s)

1 = 2 (Ages - 90s, 90s)

3 = 1 (Ages - 70s)

Click to see detailed cases report

Table Of New Deaths From COVID-19 In Taiwan

https://covid-19.nchc.org.tw/deathstatistics.php?

4 Likes

Report Completed1

Covid Stats For 2022-06-28

Local = 44,379

Imported = 49

Deaths = 103

6 Likes

It seems odd for there to be such a long lag. Never noticed that before, but it appears most of the deaths occurred several days prior to being reported? I wonder why it takes so long.

By the way, is “still under investigation” the correct translation for “調查中” in the symptoms column? I don’t get why the symptoms (if any) wouldn’t be apparent at the time of death (and, indeed, several days later when the death is reported).

Seems like it would be a bit too late to try and take the medical history of someone who died ten days prior. :thinking:

1 Like

The “correct” translation is “Survey”.

What does that mean? According to the CECC, it means that the case is still being surveyed in that they don’t have a designated symptom as yet.

In English “Still under investigation” is much more clear than the Mandarin Chabuduo “Survey”.

2 Likes