Coronavirus Taiwan - Specific Developments May/June 2022

Other countries peaked way back, some already had several waves. It’s not surprising Taiwan currently has the biggest wave, since Taiwan did a great job keeping covid19 out for so long.

7 Likes

3rd doses don’t cure people of Kidney failure, Obesity, Diabetes, Cancer and other Chronic Diseases sadly.

3 Likes

This. Places that contended with the original variant, plus Alpha and Delta in the community, already suffered enormously, and those that survived have some form of immunity that may stop them from dying when omicron arrived.

We really should be comparing ourselves to HK, NZ, and Australia as they (more so than Japan and Korea) are our closest peers in this narrow regard.

Guy

3 Likes

Yes so it will be very interesting to see how Taiwans performance actually is when the dust has settled.

Two and a half years of isolation and mask wearing vs a country like Sweden that never locked down or closed it’s border.

1 Like

All I want for Christmas is an end to the outdoor mask mandate. And before Christmas please.
Thank you.

12 Likes

Christmas in which year?

6 Likes

You’re a bad human for even suggesting that. :confused:
:sweat_smile:

1 Like

fify.

3 Likes

Of course we’re nowhere near the dust being settled yet, but how things stand for accumulated deaths by population at the moment:

Source: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Deaths - Our World in Data

5 Likes

I think this is just as big, if not bigger development. They’ve had a tough life these past 2+ years.
Guessing CECC will see “results” of this relaxation of zero quarantine and then look to do the same for all arrivals if there is no uptick based on data from airline crew.

It also announced revised rules for Taiwan-based airline crew, exempting quarantine for those who have received a booster dose of a COVID-19 vaccine more than 14 days beforehand.

Fully vaccinated crew members who have had booster shots would be subject to seven days of self-health monitoring, a PCR test on the day of arrival, and a rapid or PRC test every two days after returning on a long-haul flight.

4 Likes

22 posts were merged into an existing topic: Coronavirus Open Thread 2022

The booster exemption is weird as they’re still acting as if the current gen vaccines do squat in preventing transmission. If they have an effect on transmission rates it’s negligible.

2 Likes

Yeah. My point is that I believe CECC is going follow the data on these airline crews for maybe a few weeks (of no quarantine) to then make a decision (hopefully) that citizens/ARC/PARC don’t have to do any quarantine as well. Maybe at the same time, no need to do testing 48 hours before incoming arrival into Taiwan.
Since there is never any clear disclosure of CECC’s SOP, nor do local media ever ask such simple follow-up questions, it’s just ours to guess.

My wife says Minister Chen has tested positive. Anyone seen a source to back this up?

1 Like

Yes.
LINE news in Chinese quotes:
(rough translation):
“He had symptoms in the morning. He used a household quick-screening reagent test and the result was positive. It has been confirmed through communication and diagnosis treatment. He will be take care of at home. He is currently in good health.”

His team members Chou, Chuang, Luo, and Wang were in contact with him, took tests, but are negative.

4 Likes

Good luck to the minister then. Sure he’ll be fine and back to vexing us with confusing musings on rule changes in no time.

4 Likes

What in the world is this made up PARC thing?

In 22 years I’ve only ever heard it from foreigners.

1 Like

APRC. sorry. fat fingers

1 Like

I wonder whether he’s needed to confusedly call his colleagues at the CDC to try and figure out what the current rules are.

9 Likes

He first needed to mull which CECC official to call first.

6 Likes