Coronavirus Taiwan - Specific Developments May/June 2022

Day after day, big queues to collect the tens of thousands of free guavas or mangoes available after the press conference… brand new super-spreader events, I suppose.

2 Likes

Then no Taiwan passport for you! That’s the key to showing you have, for better or worse, assimilated. :slightly_smiling_face:

Guy

3 Likes

September, October, November :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Oh, I’m 100% fine with that. I don’t think I’d pass for Taiwanese anyway, and I’m not trying to. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

“Eyeing” comes before “mulling”, yeah?

2 Likes

This. They’re essentially holding a daily press conference to announce: remember, everyone, it is exceedingly uncommon to be eaten by a bear.

They can’t possibly be unaware of the psychological impact of this. Even if the CECC are themselves clueless, there must be government advisors who are qualified enough to point out the problem here.

2 Likes

Sorry, but CECC continues to show stupidity and will exhibit such for another 2.5 months if they really open up in September.
Does the CECC realize how careful the average (majority of) people (citizens/ARCer/APRCers) are who want to and have already come back to Taiwan under stupid quarantine rules???
The week before, most people are shitting in their pants to NOT get COVID, because of that stupid 48 hours pre-flight test and wasting a huge amount of money IF they get COVID on that test.
Then they still have to quarantine after arriving and getting another negative test again.
They are basically doing 10x the amount of protection to NOT get COVID that some/many people in Taiwan are now doing who do not travel.

Maybe CECC should all go abroad to the U.S. now for 2 weeks, because there is no TEST requirement, then go through their own SOP and see how careful they are the last 7 days before their flight back. Let the government pay for such “research”.

5 Likes

Well… I’ve had a booking for months to fly back to Taiwan… fun!

1 Like

Usually you can walk around and do other things and wait for them to call you. It’s not that bad. :grin:

I wonder how they know how many people are coming in advance. Maybe you have to stay in an area until the next day? I’d hate to be #25001! I guess that means they’ll be limiting the airlines business now which in turn will hurt the hotels.

1 Like

I wish I had an answer. Maybe only non residents are counted.

I’ve had my ticket for a few months so… :idunno:

But… 3 day quarantine is a welcome surprise.

3 Likes

I’m not sure if this is the right thread, but it seems like a specific COVID-related development: a Chinese-language article about Ximending and its current difficulties - assuming the machine translation is right, things are worse this time around (without actual restrictions) than they were last year (with restrictions).

2 Likes

The way Scott Galloway put it (speaking of the US, and not Taiwan): with the pandemic, we got a decade of transformation in a year. Online platforms have left many brick and mortar operations in trouble unless they had their digital presence ready. And without the international tourists, it’s clear some districts like Ximending have been really hurt by this process.

Guy

6 Likes

During the pandemic, here’s one sector in Taiwan that’s been winning lately:

Guy

3 Likes

:plate_with_cutlery::salt::fried_shrimp::fondue:

2 Likes

Taiwan is not a particularly forgiving place for restaurants, and many are either not very creative or otherwise teetering on the bring of bankruptcy. This often was the case before the pandemic.

From observation, a lot like to cluster around each other and open up the same thing. This is almost textbook perfect competition. It’s a race to the bottom. Many were already teetering, and they had a year and a half head start notice before the 2021 outbreak. If they weren’t able or weren’t willing to prep for the incoming storm, there’s nothing anyone can do. There are only so many beef noodle and guotie shops I can go to before I realise they all taste the same and cost the same with little to differentiate themselves from their competitors.

Hopefully we’ll get some renewal when the tourists return.

4 Likes

Yes, they said they will negotiate with the airlines.

109 Confirmed COVID-19 Deaths Reported on June 13, 2022

Female = 48 (44.04%)
Male = 61 (55.96%)

Age Distribution

90s = 28 (25.69%)
80s = 32 (29.36%)
70s = 34 (31.19%)
60s = 11 (10.09%)
50s = 3 (2.75%)
40s = 1 (0.92%)

Vaccination Status

44 were unvaccinated (40.37%)
11 had one dose (10.09%)
11 had two doses (10.09%)
42 had three doses (38.53%)
1 had four doses (0.92%)

Click to see detailed cases report

4 Likes

Don’t write off brick and mortar shops yet. Amazon is now struggling with too much warehouse space: How Amazon ended up with too much warehouse space — and what it's planning to do next – GeekWire

And speaking of irony, Amazon also recently opened a … clothing store. Amazon’s first clothing store opens its doors in Los Angeles - The Verge

Hey, I know that location! And I’ve stood there, thinking, hey I should have something Taiwanese for a change. And I’ve looked at the one, and I’ve looked at the other, and I’ve hemmed and hawed and split the difference by going to Kook’s in the middle.

4 Likes