Coronavirus Taiwan - Specific Developments May/June 2022

It’s insane though! They’re kamikaziing each other because every Tom, Dick and Harry think they can open up a cheap noodle shop and make it rain cash.

And they open up 10 within a 5 minute walk. The market can’t support that.

Forgive me if my sympathy is a bit dampened.

I’m happy that Taiwan is (from observation) 70% small business. It’s interesting! But… sometimes I think the lack of originality can be a reason why many restaurants teeter on the brink of destruction.

2 Likes

The beef noodle next to Kook’s is quite good… there are differences, most are kinda bland, and a few are amazing even though they cost the same as everyone else.

I’m talking about the one with the red sign by the way.

2 Likes

How would I know if none of these do the basic tasks for business? No advertising? No sampling? Nothing? Are they serious about running a business?

No argument from me.

I see.

If they are still around, perhaps their taste advertises for itself. Also stuff like beef noodle is more about location than anything else. You are hungry and have 1 hour lunch, you are not going to take the MRT across town to eat at a beef noodle place.

Perhaps, but then again, I often see high turnover with restaurants without this pandemic.

There are 10 within a 5 minute walk anywhere in Greater Taipei.

They have plans to have malls where you just walk around and buy things but needn’t carry anything out. Everything will be packed and delivered to your door before you get home. Bezos has a knack for knowing what people will want in the future.

1 Like

Only I, the #1 Fan of Beef Noodles, would do this.

3 Likes

These guys are serving workplaces or residents who do not have a kitchen. They compete on price most the time… They are the reason why cooking at home cost the same as eating out.

1 Like

Actually, the use of fruit was to mark “days without cases.” I remember those good old times, since I have a whole lesson for my clinical teaching centered around counting the days without cases and showing the CECC’s creativity. There was a day or two with cases, which caused a reset in the count and the fruit (fish once I recall). Then things went to s*** and they stopped doing that. Kind of ruined my lesson planning.

Sorry for citing this despicable rag. :pensive:

6 Likes

They would have had some sort of Quota with the Airlines back on the days of Hotel Quarantine for all to ensure that enough hotel rooms were available, so something similar could be put on place to keep numbers under 25k.

1 Like

Covid Stats For 2022-06-14

Local = 66,119

Imported = 70

Deaths = 123

Current Severity of Symptoms Statistics

Local Cases By Districts (Interactive Map)

7 Likes

123 ‘Covid deaths,’ yet:

1 Like

Until it goes up again with another strain.

Subvariants are already arriving in Taiwan, as of course they will.

Guy

1 Like

That’s why we should let them in now while immunity is high.

Good thing they caught those. Almost had an outbreak there…

1 Like

Keeping track of variants won’t stop them from infecting people but it’ll give us a clearer idea of what is happening.

From the Taipei Times article linked above:

The risk of being reinfected with the same strain of SARS-CoV-2 is relatively low, but not impossible, [CDC Deputy Director-General Philip Lo (羅一鈞)] said, adding that if the BA.4 and BA.5 subvariants become the primary circulating viruses in the local community [NB: so far, this is not the case], the risk of reinfection could rise.

Experts agree that a person’s immune protection from a previous COVID-19 infection can last about three months, but a few people might still contract the disease again, he said.

Asked whether “herd immunity” would be effective against the BA.4 and BA.5 subvariants, Lo said that the local outbreak is mainly caused by the BA.2 subvariant, with antibodies protecting against the BA.1 and BA.2 subvariants for at least three to four months.

Over the weekend, he said the BA.1 subvariant has not been recorded locally since April 21.

Guy

3 Likes

Taoyuan Mayor Cheng has reportedly joined the list of COVID positive cases, which have now reached the three million mark in Taiwan.

Guy

2 Likes

On Saturday (June 11), the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) announced that starting on June 15, the mandatory quarantine for arriving passengers will be shortened from the current “7+7” formula of seven days of quarantine and seven days of self-health monitoring, to a “3+4” scheme. However, some people are accusing the CECC of playing word games because one of the stipulations is that those arriving must stay at the “same location” for their quarantine and self-health management, essentially meaning eight days in an epidemic prevention hotel or residence, since the day of arrival does not count as the first day of quarantine.

8 Likes

Ximending Rents are too high. Thats what has hit the area

2 Likes