Coronavirus Taiwan - Specific Developments May/June 2022

I wonder how much higher the number would be without masks and hand sanitizers.

:thinking:

1 Like

I think it’s not just a higher number; it’s the speed at which the numbers grow. I think the authorities here hoped to at least slow things down (they cannot stop it) to try to make sure the hospitals and other health units do not get overwhelmed.

Guy

1 Like

I guess it’s impossible to determine with certainty.

Imagine someone very unstable walking close to the edge of a cliff, then comes a gust of wind and he is blown over the edge.

Was it the wind or his unstableness? Could he have made it back from the edge or was he going over anyway?

:man_shrugging:

5 Likes

The numbers are being presented with certainty.

1 Like

I call it First of the North Star Syndrome. The CECC is afraid, and power over others makes them feel less afraid.

People who live in fear shouldn’t be in charge of anything though.

2 Likes

I think public health policy should not solely be made by public health professionals. They’re only going to focus on public health, or at least the area of public health they’re currently obsessed with, at the expense of everything else.

Taiwan seems to be run by the CECC at the moment.

5 Likes

That explanation doesn’t even make complete sense if you think about other areas of public health negatively affected by policy. Their vision is uniquely singular in most circumstances.

2 Likes

Looking the other way, with masks and hand sanitizers in Japan the rate seems be less than 10% (9 million cases as of today). So I would say it does help and Japan had no lockdowns (which is not allowed by law in Japan, they can advise you)

1 Like

I gather Japan’s been really emphasizing the air circulation part as well, which I’ve seen very little discussion of in Taiwan (e.g. the apparent assumption here that masks are just as important outdoors as indoors, or as far as I can tell basically no encouragement of outdoor dining). But as usual, figuring out what’s correlation and what’s causation is very tough.

https://www.mhlw.go.jp/content/3CS.pdf

3 Likes

This is true, which Taiwanese do not do as much. Maybe because of fear of air pollution, even at home no open windows, cars seldom open windows in Taiwan. I do miss outdoor beer garden like areas which most big cities in Japan have, full after 6pm pre covid (open now but not as busy my F&R in Japan tell me)

2 Likes

There’s a restaurant where you can sit outside at Lotus Pond. The ambiance is nice but the service isn’t great. The food was pretty standard fare in my experience (bland, overpriced, not as advertised). I would go again for drinks on a nice evening with good company, but better to eat at home :wink:

1 Like

Dan said that after completing a saliva test, inbound passengers can choose between taking a quarantine taxi or having a friend or relative pick them up and take them to their quarantine site. According to Dan, approximately 20% of inbound passengers were picked up by friends and relatives.

4 Likes

Fu** that. My girlfriend can pick me up with her car (no specific rules about how) but she cannot live with me after the 3 days quarantine is finished. Stupid rules over and over again.

5 Likes

The place that drove me nuts last year was a Danshui Starbucks, beside the Cloud Gate theater. Nice outdoor tables out under the trees. But during the restrictions last year, they took away the outdoor tables because the staff couldn’t properly monitor if people were socially distancing correctly. Nope, outdoor consumption of your coffee too dangerous, you could only sit inside.

7 Likes

This isn’t 3+4. It’s 7+0.

1 Like

“Another idiotic policy.”
— Taipei Mayor Ko Wen-je

It’s their secret plan to record VIPs in compromising positions inside the cars for nefarious reasons.

1 Like

You should have got vaccinated. If everyone follows the rules, it will be over. Get vaxxed, wear a mask, have a short quarantine and it will be over in a few months.

Two years you say? Half way there.

1 Like

Obvious solution: rent a camper and live in the car for 7 days.

3 Likes

School near me. Kids have been back all week. Then they get a notice saying the school is going online on Monday. For one day.

Why?

The school is worried people might catch it on Monday and miss the Tuesday tests.

The principal has basically fucked over 1000 parents trying to be smart. Opening and closing at will.

1 Like