Coronavirus Taiwan - Specific Developments May/June 2022

Eh, this is just being middle-aged, isn’t it? My upper (!) back went like this a couple of months ago. No idea why. If it had persisted into the second day I’d have sought medical help, because it was really weird, but fortunately after the next night’s sleep it went away.

3 Likes

Probably! But in times past, I could also point to when it happened (bent over rows in the gym and “ouch!”, picking up the rear of the scooter to move it around and “mother*&^%(!”, etc.).

4 Likes

Yeah, sucks, doesn’t it? That’s why the upper back pain lingers in my mind! I believe it was one of my first such instances of “When the hell did this happen?!” Like you say, usually there’s a clear moment when it starts.

2 Likes

I’ll bet anything that you contracted it.

2 Likes

I have changed nothing in my routine. I still swim 2-3 times per week, go to work, go to restaurants, go to church, go to events and the masks come off for pictures, etc. I’m meeting friends for dinner and drinks tonight. It would be almost strange if I haven’t contracted it.

2 Likes

In 2022 only one death had obesity listed as preexisting condition.

2022-6-14 | M 40s | Obesity,Gout | Not vaccinated

2 Likes

That’s strange. I’d better start piling on the pounds.

1 Like

Since this is not congruent with observations elsewhere, the only thing this suggests is that most of the reported COVID deaths are not, in fact, COVID deaths.

Although if I were being fair (and I hate being fair) I might point out that the risk factor is metabolic syndrome, not obesity per se. Most Taiwanese people have trouble becoming obese, so metabolic syndrome manifests more obviously as high blood pressure, NAFLD, and diabetes.

4 Likes

I felt the same way (about a post-covid world in the States) until I travelled to NYC a couple of weeks ago and again today. 90% of people have masks on. Masks are required in all government buildings, but interestingly absolutely no one was observing social distancing (despite signs) and hand sanitizer dispensers were empty literally everywhere I tried to use one. For some reason, the least effective form of covid prevention has become the only one people seem to follow.

3 Likes

The most frightening side-effect of mask mandates (and the complete rejection by government authorities of the idea that being healthy is the optimum way to … uh, be healthy) is that people now firmly believe that their magic talisman is an inpenetrable shield against disease.

4 Likes

I thought the same thing until we had a big meeting and half the office got it. It’s definitely still there, but Taiwan is at where the US was at the beginning of the year.

As far as I can tell, that is not stopping most Taiwanese from living life as they usually do. Mask or no mask.

1 Like

Where? Haven’t seen it.

Just a reminder norovirus still going strong, so any funky symptoms you still have a lot of choices to be sick from.

Metro North, subways, government buildings (100%), Grand Central Station, stores, basically everywhere indoors. Outside it drops to about 60%. My time was mostly in Harlem, Morningside Heights, and downtown at the courts.

1 Like

Are you both in the US?

Lovely!

I am. I try to spend 2 months in the summer and 1 in the winter in the US every year.

Report Completed1

Covid Stats For 2022-06-24

Local = 45,678

Imported = 89

Deaths = 152

Current Severity of Symptoms Statistics

Local Cases By Districts (Interactive Map)

8 Likes

Have fun!

2 Likes

Report Completed1

152 COVID-19 Deaths Reported on June 24, 2022

Female = 61 (40.03%)
Male = 91 (59.87%)

Age Distribution

90s = 35 (23.03%)
80s = 48 (31.58%)
70s = 33 (21.71%)
60s = 20 (13.16%)
50s = 8 (5.26%)
40s = 4 (2.63%)
30s = 1 (0.66%)
20s = 1 (0.66%)
10s = 2 (1.32%)

Vaccination Doses

0 = 79 (51.97%)
1 = 9 (5.92%)
2 = 21 (13.82%)
3 = 43 (28.29%)

Chronic Disease History

Yes = 138 (90.79%)
None = 14 (9.21%)

Vaccine Status For The 14 Deaths With No Chronic Disease History

0 doses = 6 (Ages - 90s = 1, 80s = 3, 60s = 1, 20s = 1)
1 dose = 1 (Age - 70s)
2 doses = 1 (Age - 80s)
3 doses = 6 (Ages - 80s = 2, 70s = 1, 60s = 2, 50s = 1)

Click to see detailed cases report

8 Likes