Coronavirus Testing

Me and My Family also had to take PCR Tests here in Taichung, before flying to the UK last year… No nosebleeds, but very painful for all of us.

We then had the prospect of 3 PCR tests each in the UK, and were not looking forward to those. We had them all performed at different facilities, and all were fine, quick and painless (also in the nose).

Seems that Taiwan medical staff are not well-trained in how to conduct these tests effectively and painlessly. However, this does seem to be quite true for Taiwan medical staff in general (they seem to make routine procedures more painful than I have experienced in other countries)

5 Likes

The pain is part of the plan. They were taught to be overly vindictive administering the tests to deter travel. Just like how Taiwan was the only country, until they rescinded it this week, that considered over 30 on a PCR test to be a positive for Covid19. They knew they were just catching old cases but were happy to lock you up anyway to punish you for traveling. It’s also why they have allowed the skanky, nasty quarantine hotels to quadruple their nightly prices from what they were getting pre-covid, even though they have no other demand.

3 Likes

Unfortunately there is much in the ‘plan’, and very little is related to healthcare, welfare or safety

2 Likes

More test kits apparently coming, but not for a week or two.

1 Like

yeah, I suspect most would prefer not to have to deal with the consequence of a test

Some news about what’s probably going to become a complicated procedure to get hold of tests. This is from last night, so it’s probably been posted someone, but… there are a lot of covid threads!

2 Likes

Question…
What if someone in your school is positive and they tell you to get tested at the testing center… can you refuse and demand a home test kit?

I already told them I would do a home test and refuse to go to a testing center.

Sorry for the repost, but I need an answer ASAP

If it’s at the health departments direction it’s “mandatory”, refusal will likely result in rather unpleasant consequences. If it’s at the direction of your boss then make your own mind up and take the consequences.

I’m sure an answer will be coming quite soon, may not be the one you were hoping for though!

Thanks… I’m sure it’s the mandatory one. I want to fight it, but I don’t want to drag my wife through that either. I’ll see if I can get a home test exemption from a doctor or something if it goes bad. Going to work now.

Did they give you a certain time window to do it?

Can think of any viable reason for them agreeing to that. If it’s just an antigen test have the doctor do it. Out of curiosity, why do you not want to take the test?

If you’re able to travel freely to work then it would seem you are not a close contact subject to test and quarantine. Are you sure you are free to be out and about?

Immediate I would imagine.

Being forced to undergo an unwanted medical procedure is against international rights

2 Likes

I can work today and take home a test tonight

1 Like

If we test positive on a self test, what’s the process? Do we have to go get an official PCR or does the government just tell you to stay home and quarantine?

2 Likes

OK, sounds like you are an indirect contact at most, or perhaps just a work rule rather than government mandated.

Direct contact for 15 minutes is mandatory quarantine

I don’t think that’s a government rule, maybe a work place one. One of my students in my Friday class (it’s a 40 minute class) tested positive on Saturday. I was told yesterday just to do an at home covid test and if it was negative then I could still come to work today.

1 Like

Is the school providing tests for that, or did you have some available?

I haven’t had to deal with this yet, but I assume it’s coming soon, and I’m curious how it works if you don’t have tests available at home. And I gather it’s mostly pointless trying to find them at the moment.

I didn’t ask them as I still have some from when I bought them from CNY. My director knows I have a few so I didn’t want to say I didn’t. I checked a few local pharmacies and they were sold out. My guess is they would have seen if any other teacher had a spare to give me and if not then probably go to a testing center.

I think I read an article on FocusTaiwan that said when the government gets their shipment of test kits in they will keep some to distribute to work places.

I’ve been online since last week. One of the kids tested positive over the previous weekend. Supposed to return to the classroom soon. Before I left the school I asked for 2 rapid test kits. They gave me 1. I tested negative. I’ve felt just fine the entire time and without any symptoms.

The school said for me to get another rapid test or PCR test from the hospital before returning to school.

Of course the stores don’t have any tests to sell and I’m not going any where near a hospital since I’m not sick.

I told them to mail me a test kit. We’ll see what happens