đŸ˜· COVID | Traveling during Covid-19

Yes a low number of PRC students registered in Taiwan universities are actually in Taiwan. Stats as of early April 2020:

800 of the about 8,000 mainland students enrolled at Taiwanese schools are in Taiwan, while approximately 7,000 are in China, according to [MAC Deputy Minister and Spokesman Chiu Chui-cheng (é‚±ćž‚æ­Ł)]

Source: https://focustaiwan.tw/cross-strait/202004090026

Guy

Not sure if it belongs here or if it’s already been said
 There at so many posts in these wuhan threads.

One major recruiting company is stating if you get hired online and get a work permit you’re allowed to get in Taiwan now.

Anyone know for sure?

1 Like

O’Leary said that Ryanair had already told the Irish government that if it imposes the restriction, then “either the government pays for the middle seat or we won’t fly”.

“We can’t make money on 66% load factors,” he said. “Even if you do that, the middle seat doesn’t deliver any social distancing, so it’s kind of an idiotic idea that doesn’t achieve anything anyway,” he added

1 Like

Yep. A handful compared to the numbers before. But it is not mostly our fault. The restrictions started before the elections and I do not think the kids are highly motivated to come here as it may not look that nice on their resume.

In theory there is a clause that says not only residents but also people on business/with work contracts can come in. Problem I see is getting the visa.

it was posted here too.

1 Like

land of the mafia wants you to come for a visit

1 Like

In another thread, I mentioned how Japan Airlines has proposed a new seating arrangement in which they don’t sell the middle seat in a three-seat row. But how effective would this be? How would social distancing actually work on airplanes?

Mentour Pilot investigates this topic to discuss how—if at all—social distancing on airplanes could work, and some possible changes to come:

Guy

2 Likes

Good news!!

2 Likes

Hope it will open up late this year ! More likely in 2021 beyond trans-Tasman/ Islands and non local & Aussie.

Given that there is a great deal of trade with other countries in the Asia-Pacific region and that many have also managed to contain the outbreak, Roberts listed other “neighbors” that could be added to the bubble, including "Taiwan, Hong Kong, China, and South Korea.

I’m not sure it would be such great news if China is included, unless, of course, you trust China.

Personally, while testing isn’t perfect, I think some arrangement that involves testing would be better. The whole bubble concept is basically predicated on the notion that travel between these countries would not result in spread and new outbreaks.

But given the high rate of asymptomatic infection, it’s important to remember that the virus is not known to have been eradicated in any country that has experienced cases.

A single cluster/outbreak would thus threaten the bubble and increase the risk of people getting stuck again.

This is the type of case that shows why a travel bubble that doesn’t have a testing and/or quarantine component is so risky.

The 29-year-old man, who lives in Yongin, Gyeonggi Province, has the first domestic infection reported in South Korea in four days. Most new cases over the past week have come from overseas.

How and where the patient contracted the virus remain unknown, raising fears that the virus may be spreading in communities undetected. He had no known contact with previous patients and he had not come into contact with anyone who recently returned from overseas, according to the initial epidemiological study.

2 Likes

My question is: how much longer will we keep out the Chinese? I am now very curious, because I applied for a summer teaching program in Taipei that supposedly had 15 spots left, only to get a phone call letting me know I was wait listed because those seats are for Chinese students who may or may be able to come. Should I bank on getting in? Or assume they’re going to be letting in the Mainlanders by mid-summer?

I really don’t believe anything is open by then.

Taiwan, Hong Kong, Thailand, Cambodia, New Zealand, Australia, and Fiji are close to eliminating the virus; most other Pacific island nations are virus free. I could see an open travel alliance taking place between them. I would NOT want China in this alliance!

2 Likes

Cambodia? Really?

Cambodia is now down to two active cases. The 122 is the cumulative figure; 120 have recovered with no deaths. Your article is from April 12; they have had no new cases since then.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/cambodia/

1 Like

Of potential interest to Canadians in Taiwan: here’s new a message from the CTOT:

Dear Fellow Canadians in Taiwan,

Since our last message of April 6th, 2020, the Taiwanese Centre for Disease Control (CDC) has reported several days with no new COVID-19 cases, and as a result, the CDC has started to relax some of its domestic virus control measures. Although these signs are encouraging, international travel and flight options still remain very restrictive.

This latest message is to remind all Canadians in Taiwan that commercial options for departures are still limited and may become increasingly scarce as many airlines suspend their operations. As a result, Canadians seeking to return home should consider the time to act upon such options for travel is now. This letter also seeks to help travellers understand the latest changes affecting Canadians and those traveling to Canada. Regular posts about flight options can be found on our social media page: https://www.facebook.com/CANADATPE/
While we recognise, some Canadians may decide to remain outside of Canada for an indeterminate period, we would like to continue to offer some important advice on what you should do while abroad.

Returning to Canada: Limited Commercial Options:
The Canadian Trade Office in Taipei is in contact with airlines, and continues to post about available flight options. At this time, limited commercial options remain available. Should you wish to return to Canada, we recommend that you contact a travel provider as soon as possible. If you already have flight bookings, you should check with your airline carrier to confirm your travel plans. If you decide to remain outside of Canada for an indeterminate period, review our important advice on what you should do while abroad: https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/health-safety/covid-19-security

Transport Canada’s new requirement:
Transport Canada (TC) has implemented measures requiring air operators to verify that all travellers have a removable cloth face covering available for use during their trip, even if the travellers are not showing any symptoms.

When travelling by air, Canadians will be asked to cover their mouth and nose where possible, and must do so when a two-meter distance between them and others cannot be observed. Travelers who do not have one available for their trip will be denied entry into the sterile area, or boarding on the aircraft.
It is the travellers’ responsibility to bring the required cloth face covering to the airport. They will not be provided with one if they do not have one. Canadian offices abroad are not in a position to provide face coverings.

For further information and guidance, you may visit: https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection/prevention-risks/instructions-sew-no-sew-cloth-face covering.html

COVID-19 Emergency Loan Program:
The COVID-19 Emergency Loan provides financial assistance to Canadians in financial difficulty attempting to return home. Effective immediately, in order to be eligible for a COVID-19 Emergency Loan, applicants must now demonstrate that they had existing plans to return to Canada that have been disrupted by COVID-19.

More information on the loan program is available at https://travel.gc.ca/assistance/emergency-info/financial-assistance/covid-19-financial-help

When you arrive in Canada:
Upon return to Canada, you must self-isolate (quarantine) for 14 days upon arrival even if you do not have COVID-19 symptoms. For additional information regarding your obligations after returning to Canada, including specifics on provincial regulations please see: https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection/latest-travel-health-advice.html

Please consult the Government of Canada’s latest updates on COVID-19 for information regarding who may enter Canada at this time: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/travel-restrictions-exemptions.html

Please share this important information with other Canadian citizens in your area.

Sincerely,
Canadian Trade Office in Taipei

1 Like

By Canadians they mean drug selling kindy teachers don’t they?

2 Likes

And Cambodia has run a whopping ~13,000 tests, a rate of under 800 per 1 million people. It’s one of the lowest rates in Asia. Heck, Zimbabwe is testing more people.

The situation there is a not-so-funny joke.

Cambodia is a huge liability to any travel bubble.

1 Like