šŸ˜· COVID | Traveling during Covid-19

Ok, I understand.

1 Like

Iā€™m in no hurry but having to end of August, however Iā€™ve been worried about my 2 sisters aged 74, 77 in UK one has returning lung cancer the other COPD.
They have magically managed to stay isolated.
To visit them on return would have been impossible if I had to do 14 days quarantine as they live 200 miles apart.
So thank goodness for Taiwan being on the list, will be a long time before I return now.
Iā€™ve had the luck of the gods living in Taiwan for past 10 months.

2 Likes

i just travelled back and there was nothing to worry about. direct EVA flight. everyone was wearing masks or more for the whole flight. everyone had their own row of seats. some people were in hazmat suits. the flight attendantā€™s were in full surgery gear.
on both sides the airports were really empty. more staff than passengers.

the main concern is when you get back out into the wild in england. nobody gives a flying fuck. the beaches have been packed and nobody wants to wear masks. iā€™ve had to do quarantine but its barely more than a suggestion. thereā€™s been zero follow up about it, no phone call, email, no tracking nothing. i think its not an issue because they are scrapping it soon anyway.

4 Likes

Please take care man! We hope to see you back in Taiwan, healthy and in one piece!

Guy

1 Like

Great for me. Need to get there for school.

Most important thing: can you eat on the plane? Drink? Potty break?

2 Likes

yea everything was as normal. infact it was a better experience with a more than half empty plane. no toilet ques! nobody sat behind you so you can put your seat back without worrying about others. and its just good to have some space. i really hate being sat upright next to people for so many hours on those flightsā€¦ everything was pretty quick too.

5 Likes

This is probably why the UK has so many cases and deaths.

1 Like

I think itā€™s the rampant obesity and poor health from alcohol consumption. I think you would see a very clear correlation if you see mortality rates and obesity rates country by country.

Good to know. Were the ticket pricing crazy? I will have to do the same soon.

wasnā€™t cheap but probably not too different than a direct booked 2 weeks out would usually be.

2 Likes

At least the UK made a sensible list of countries.

Idk what the EU is doing, it doesnā€™t even look like EU member states are going to follow the list made in Brussels. Which is the smart thing to do.

Man has been trapped in Philippines airport for 110 days

A tourist is desperate to be rescued after spending 110 days living in an airport in the Philippines due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Roman Trofimov, who lives in Estonia, landed in Manila airport from Bangkok on March 20, but was denied access to the country as entry visas were no longer being issued for arrivals. He says his passport was then taken from him before he reached immigration.

The airline he had travelled with, AirAsia, was then unable to return him to Thailand, and he was told he would have to wait for Enhanced Community Quarantine to be over until he is allowed to fly. The lockdown, which restricts all travel for anyone not a diplomat, medical or humanitarian worker, was brought in by the Philippine goverment on March 16.

Mr Trofimov, who says he is disabled, likened his situation to being a prisoner in the airport. He has been sleeping in an airport departures hotel room and surviving on food and snacks donated by staff.

The tourist has repeatedly asked his embassy for help but they were unable to organise a repatriation flight.

He said: ā€˜My health is getting worse because of malnutrition, lack of sun, and fresh air. I have no other choice,but to go public. Please share with news agencies.ā€™

Mr Trofimov had an onward flight to Cebu, in the Philippines, booked for the same day he landed in Manila and a return flight to Bangkok for April 2. Both were cancelled due to the coronavirus pandemic.

The Metro Manila was shifted to a lower level General Community Quarantine in June, but despite the more relaxed status, most flights have still not been allowed to resume, including those to Estonia.

Mr Trofimov told Estonian broadcaster ERR that he also isnā€™t allowed to fly out of the Philippines to a new country as he was denied entry, and can only be ā€˜taken back by the airlineā€™ which brought him to Manila.

He said: ā€˜They took my passport and will give it back only when I fly to Estonia. But they donā€™t fly to Estonia, they donā€™t fly anywhere currently. I am told to wait all the time until flights are restarted.

ā€˜I was offered an opportunity via Turkish Airlines, but they also donā€™t fly currently. So I am waiting, the departure date has been delayed four times now. They are extending the emergency situation here, the country is still closed.ā€™

3 Likes

Booked a flight back to Taipei early next month with Turkish Airlines. Hopefully things work out and it doesnā€™t get cancelled.

3 Likes

Any layovers?

Yes, in Istanbul for 2 hours.

I have a 45 hour special also from the UK. Fingers crossed nothing gets cancelled.

Do a review of the flight and layover if you can, I am doing same trip early September. :+1:t2:

I can do it all faster, but I need to use United to get enough free baggage. So beggars canā€™t be choosers. Also doing it all on award miles for maximum flexibility. I have $$ credit with UA, but since the last leg is with ANA, I cannot use the credit. UAā€™s SFO direct is not starting again until at least September.

Are yall recidents or how are you gonna get in?