😷 COVID | Traveling during Covid-19

Absolutely. A smart, pragmatic solution. Golf is a socially distant sport. I wish more countries would take this sort of approach.

Got my vaccine yesterday. No side effects other than a sore arm.

I’m in a situation where getting to Taiwan is easy, but coming back to Canada is hard.

The Canadian government has decided to force people into a two week, $2000 quarantine at the travelers own expensive once they arrive back home.

Snow birds who have gone to the southern sun states have been stuck in a precarious situation over this and it’s a further blow to people coming/going from Canada.

For me, I will leave Canada and not bother returning, I mean, what’s the honest point of coming back home?

1 Like

The Canadian hotel quarantine thing is stupid. It’s being (rightfully) challenged in the courts. I expect it to be tossed.

In the mean time you can:

1. fly to the US, cross into Canada by land. Lots of car services offering this from Buffalo or Bellingham.

2. instead of paying the $2000 hotel fee, go home and quarantine. You’ll get a ticket for $800, but you can just say you’ll challenge it in court. It’s likely to get tossed because the courts won’t hear it on time or precedent from the case against quarantine hotels will be used to dismiss it.

1 Like

Love the noncompliance you’re advising.

Isn’t it against forumosa’s rules to advise unlawful behavior?

Btw, I also think Canada’s new policies are idiotic, mostly because of the stupidly short required time. What a mess.

Guy

It’s debatable whether these quarantine laws are actually legal in the first place. I’m not referring to Canada specifically, but to other countries which have no provision for such things in either the constitution or the civil code (or, if they do, the conditions for imposing quarantine are not being met under the current circumstances).

COVID-19 rules are very much of the “because I say so” kind.

Having said that, I think quarantine procedures are not unreasonable. They are far more effective than “lockdowns”. But there seems to be a lot of profiteering going on here. A home quarantine is no less effective than a hotel quarantine.

1 Like

…except when family members who did not all arrive at the same time eat together or otherwise potentially infect each other before heading out into the world…

Guy

Well, that wouldn’t be a quarantine, would it? I’m assuming a minimum level of common sense here. Taiwan’s guidelines for home quarantine are basically sensible.

The scenario you mention is the reason “lockdowns” are completely pointless.

download (3)

The Irish government is making a big hullabaloo about instituting mandatory hotel quarantine now.
That at a time when vaccination is proceeding rapidly and the pandemic is finally coming under control.
1 year too late !!!

‘If it has to be widened or extended, we’ll do it’: Cabinet signs off on quarantine for arrivals from 20 countries 'If it has to be widened or extended, we'll do it': Cabinet signs off on quarantine for arrivals from 20 countries

Anyway…I’m waiting to see if it’s all countries outside the EU and red listed countries…Or what exactly.

There’s a good debate in the dail (parliament) now about Brazilians coming in.
One deputy was complaining about how many were coming in (2000), the Taoiseach (PM) rightfully said they may well be residents or citizens and have full rights to come in.

That bit kind of made me proud of my countrymen because it’s the kind of debate you would never see in Taiwan or many countries !

Sadly the honour system in Canada and elsewhere does not seem to have been a smashing success.

Guy

1 Like

It’s also not a good sign when you have complete trust in government regulation

1 Like

Travel bubbles caught up in a weird mix of public health, politics and economics. I don’t think a single bubble has materialized anywhere. Has it ?

1 Like

Coz EU doesn’t care about TW. Maybe a simple phone call was made from a low level official in Beijing to Brussels “advising” them

1 Like

You could be on the money. “Advising” the right person in the EU chain of command.
Or perhaps it’s just automatic, stemming from the official lack of recognition.

Yup. They’re not gonna let some pesky human rights or democratic ways of thinking get it in the way of a glorious trade relationship:

1 Like

Don’t think it goes into travel restrictions though

Will they start reissuing working holiday visas?

From the people that brought you golf quarantine:

anyone know if a married couple has to live separately during the quarantine?

1 Like