Coronavirus vaccination: pros, cons, alternatives

I just noticed something regarding the daily new case reports made on CDC website. There is no mention at all of breakthrough cases, but the attached PDF shows the vaccination status with how many shots and brand.

Every day the vast majority of cases (e.g. today 9 out of 10) are all with 2 shots. Why is the press not asking about this? Why is the CDC not highlighting this fact in the body of the announcement? Why is this not being discussed as part of policy making? Why is vaccination being mandated in certain areas now (as announced yesterday) given this performance?

6/12 = 90% breakthrough (9 two shots, 1 no shot)
5/12 = 75% breakthrough (3 two shots, 1 one shot)
4/12 = 72% breakthrough (8 two shots, 1 three shots, 2 no shots)
3/12 = 63% breakthrough (7 two shots, 1 one shot, 2 unknown, 1 no shot)

https://www.cdc.gov.tw/File/Get/41JY9jbLtWWMI34iFrfgnQ
https://www.cdc.gov.tw/File/Get/zNdI9UUrUmbnxEaQvguNmg
https://www.cdc.gov.tw/File/Get/uXIxi9We-N2efPPuJx8j4g
https://www.cdc.gov.tw/File/Get/Cm1n-QIG3RrzGrippY6S6A

1 Like

I guess because breakthrough infections aren’t that interesting anymore? I imagine that most people flying at this point are vaccinated, and you’d also need to consider the vaccination status of the population of people arriving to really learn anything. It’d be interesting if the CDC published daily info of the total number of people actually arriving though, to put those numbers into comparison (I don’t much care about whether we imported 5 or 10 cases each day, tbh).

I think this has gone way, way beyond the point where rational decisionmaking is involved in public policy. A quick glance at the latest technical brief from the UK suggests that the vaccines have a very modest effect on death rates. I suspect this is at least partially an artifact of the dishonesty in COVID death reporting: the UK is inflating COVID deaths by including anyone who died “within 28 days of a positive test”, a very wide dragnet that includes a load of people who absolutely didn’t die of COVID. The net result, of course, is that the vaccines will appear to be less effective than they actually are. Nevertheless, nobody cares whether the vaccines work or not. Everyone must be vaxed and that’s all there is to it.

2 Likes

This paper looks at adverse affects from the mRNA vaccines divided by age, sex, brand of vaccine, and time between doses.

In-line with what they were saying in Europe.

No moderna for the youngsters.

I haven’t seen numbers regarding travellers, but it is most likely the vast majority is vaccinated. Some countries require it. Overall probably for a breakthrough case is higher because of higher base.

1 Like

A follow up on @slawa 's reply: in Canada, for example, you’re not permitted to board an aircraft without proof of vaccination. So if an imported breakthrough case from Canada appears in Taiwan, that would explain the puzzling mystery you’ve identified wouldn’t it.

Guy

Turns out that boosters have a lifespan of about 10 weeks. Than you need a booster booster.

1st vaccine…you need a second shot to get the full effect.

2nd shot…uh oh…Delta! Your 2nd shot will wear off after 6 months. You need a 3rd to fully protect yourself!

Uh oh, here comes Omi(watchamacallit)…Quick! Your 3rd shot isn’t enough. It is wearing off! Only a 4th shot will keep you safe!

Right…
tell me again how a 4th shot will protect me for all time and eternity from severe complications…

You are just going to say…oh no! your 4th shot is wearing off…time for a 5th, 6th, 7th…never ending jabs.

Why? Because the vaccines WEAR OFF. I’m tired of hearing the BS line about “ONLY a 4th shot will protect you from omi!”

Say it like it is. The vaccines only protect for a limited time. Then you need more.

Omi is not the killer the other strains were. We are not in imminent danger of death from it. Vax the vulnerable and let the rest of us develope natural immunity.

So much fear mongering in the media and on here. The sky is not falling, nor will it.

5 Likes

Do you seriously not know anyone that’s gotten COVID in the past two years that isn’t dealing with something to this day? I have a friend who lost the taste of chocolate in June 2020 and still can’t taste it. Another who says coffee smells like rotting garbage now. People in their mid to late 20s who work out a few times a week and eat healthy food and are very much a healthy weight with no pre-existing conditions. I had a Lyft driver when I was back in the States that said he was asymptomatic (only knew he had COVID because he’s a Lyft driver and had to be tested all the time) but his stomach has been making weird noises nonstop since around the time he got that diagnosis. There are whole hospitals that are dedicated to figuring out the long-term effects of long COVID and I am not interested in being a test case, thank you.

my friends been having weird head rushes and says his heart beat elevates quite a lot after his 2nd vaccine dose when exercising in the gym, claims he hasn’t been the same since his 2nd dose and says he feels quite OFF when working out in general. I believe him as he is very pro vaccine. Its been 4 weeks and he still says he feels "off’ he can’t quite put his finger on the problem, but he’s starting to think the vaccine fucked up something. Says he doesn’t feel the same when he exercises now. I don’t know tbh, I’ve had both my doses too and I feel fine…

3 Likes

My brother has had covid 3 times
Alpha…got a fever. Recovered.
Got the J&J shot.
Delta…asymptomatic. Recovered.
Got Phizer.
Developed blood clots in legs.
Omi…Got a runny nose. Recovered.

All 4 of his children have been infected twice. All had mild to no symptoms. All Recovered. None are vaxed.

His wife has been infected twice. Mild symptoms. Recovered.
Got Phizer…2 shots.
After the 2nd shot, says her heart races faster more often.

My parents have not caught anything. Both are unvaxed.

All people above live in urban USA.

Myself…
AZ, 1st shot. Developed arthritis like symptoms in all joints. Suffered severe and constant migraines for a month. It was debilitating.

Doctors okayed a 2nd AZ shot only if accompanied with medication to prevent clotting. And needed to go in for observation and testing to see if any after affects developed.

Never infected with any strain, ever.

Now being told the 2nd shot isn’t good enough.

So yeah…my reality has been that the vaccines have done more harm to my family and me than the actual virus.

I know of nobody first hand, second hand or third hand who has died of Covid. And my social circles are wide.

Others may have a different reality. But for me. I’m done with the vaccines.

4 Likes

Have you received vaccines before? It sounds like this is something new to you.

Guy

2 Likes

The vaccine does not prevent you from catching covid. Nor does it prevent you from suffering from long covid. It simply reduces the chance of you dying.

1 Like

I think we may have found the problem here. :neutral_face:

Guy

Of course I have. We all have since childhood. Yearly flu shots.

With Covid, each new strain requires more shots. Even without the new strains, we are told we need more shots because…they wear off.

But we are told with each shot the opposite. This latest boost is all you need…until it isn’t.

1 Like

I don’t know anyone and over ten family members definitely contracted it. Several of them are octogenarians. I don’t know whether my anecdote beats your anecdotes.

I am now cracking open my vaccine booklet, kept by my parents from when I was an infant in Canada. The booklet says: “DPTP” (Whooping Cough, Diphtheria, Tetanus, Poliomyelitis), with shots noted in May 19XX, June 19XX, July 19XX. Then under “Boosters” it indicates shots in December 19XX, November 19XX, June 19XX.

What lies and bullsh&t! If these things were any good, why did I get so many of them! :rant:

Wait, with these SIX SHOTS I actually did not get hospitalized for or die of DPTP.

If you want more details on all the multiple doses of shots I received before and after coming to Taiwan, just let me know. I am happy to pass along more details if it helps you to better understand how this works.

Guy

1 Like

Who are you replying to with this melodramatic post? The OP?

It’s presented as a public service to help a certain one-of-a-kind forumosan to better understand vaccinations. I am confident others get it.

Guy

I think you are unlikely to achieve the goal you claim with the approach you take.