Coronavirus Vaccine in Taiwan - July/August 2021

Whats worrying me is that I follow the vaccine news everyday and news on the Medigen vaccine has basically disappeared in the last week or so.

The way the donations and private sector deals are coming through, we may not need it… at least not in the short term.

I dont think thats true, the situation is still not good at all. We will definitely need the Medigen ones and then start proper manufacturing afterwards (100 million per year).

If we were to receive 10-15 million BNT in August September, then we might have some breathing space for the Medigen to be ready (which I imagine will end up being October).

2 Likes

I mean, we will need it unless the Pfizer deals work out…

We will need both. 70% vaccination is 32 million shots

We also have ~20 million through manufacturers and COVAX, most of which hasn’t arrived yet. If we can get the Pfizer deals, we should be fine for now I think

And then we still want to carry on vaccinating and giving booster shots.

Is there any country that managed to reach herd immunity yet?
I think all European countries gave up on that idea.

1 Like

We have 10 million AZ without a proper time-frame, was supposed to be by December, but who knows what that will be with all the delays
Then the 5 million Moderna, but again who knows.
COVAX is a mess and in backlog, so who knows again.

So we have what 6 million doses now + 10 million BNT(fingers fucking crossed) and then the rest is just hope and prayers. And we really dont want a Delta outbreak

1 Like

I think everyone is kinda in agreement that we just need to vaccinate everyone who is willing to be vaccinated and then just learn to live with the virus. The whol world cant be in stasis forever

Just read an article today saying that Australia won’t ever achieve herd immunity even if 100% vaxxed because of inevitable new strains and variants. Argues it is a waste of time trying to attain an unattainable goal.

39 posts were merged into an existing topic: Should Taiwan buy BioNTech/Pfizer COVID vaccines from Fosun?

Herd immunity is going to happen one way or the other. The Uk will open up and with the amount of vaccinations they have given I guess they will get there first. They probably have it in some areas already.

https://1922.gov.tw/vas/index.jsp

It is here

1 Like

Not one of this again?

EFFICACY IS BULLSHIT, WHAT MATTERS IS PREVENTING HOSPITALIZATIONS. AND GUESS WHAT, EXISTING VACCINES HAVE PROVEN TO BE GREAT AT THAT SO FAR EVEN WITH THE NEW VARIANTS.

2 Likes

No probs, dude. Take it easy.

Chill out or you might end up in hospital yourself with a busted heart valve.

I didn’t write the article and I’m not anti vax.

2 Likes

Maybe throw some our way?

You’re right, I need to chill. But it surprises me how many comments such as yours pop up each day on the umpteen Forumosa Covid threads. It appears that a large majority of the population only cares about “preventing all forms of infection” and the media channels into that sentiment by publishing scary looking articles every two months about the latest variant and reduced vaccine efficacy. Many people don’t read the fine print and understand that it’s still great at preventing severe symptoms. And all of this just makes some groups of people even more unlikely to take vaccines.

1 Like

I agree.

20 out of 50 states.

I think you underestimate how deep vaccine hesitancy runs in many places. Apparently you haven’t heard the misinformation claiming mRNA vaccines change your DNA. A lot of people are ignorant and buy into this crap.

Taking the current daily rate, when supply is short, and assuming it will continue indefinitely until 70% or more of the population is vaxxed isn’t how it works. At some point you reach a threshold where the people who want to get vaxxed have been and the people who don’t want to get vaxxed don’t change their minds. No guarantee this limit is above 70%.

1 Like