Coronavirus Vaccine in Taiwan - July/August 2021

Also I think it’s in bad taste for someone based in California with access to all the vaccines they want to be gushing over Taiwan’s vaccine situation.

3 Likes

it may be by age.

Zhuang Renxiang said that the fifth round of appointment does not rule out the provision of a small amount of Modena vaccine, provided that no new AZ vaccines have arrived in Taiwan temporarily, leaving little domestic vaccines. No matter which brand vaccines are supplied in the fifth round, I hope that the next few days AZ vaccine or Modena vaccine can arrive again this week.

Will registration be on the same website? For those with ARC but no NHI? Where can I find more details.

I won’t name him here, but what about a certain Forumosa poster who fit that bill exactly, who had the audacity to try to start a #taiwancanwait hashtag in regards to our vaccine situation?

3 Likes

Yes, registration will be on the same website. You will likely have to wait a few days for more details.

I’m a foreigner without NHI and was just able to register for the vaccine! Wow. Website already updated. That was fast! :flushed:

4 Likes

So I guess I’ll be able to register my two teenagers when BioNTech is available. :+1:
Speaking of registration, now that I’m registered I just wait for an SMS message right? I’m in the born before 1983 group.

1 Like

Registered too. Thank you for the link!

The numbers come from NY Times sources. That is the original story:

Reuters also says they have delays:

While South Korea is ahead of its schedule in vaccination targets, the pace has slowed sharply in recent weeks to around 30,000 doses a day from a peak of 850,000 earlier, as it finalises shipment schedules to begin Moderna (MRNA.O) COVID-19 inoculations for people in their 50s. read more

“Due to strong demand, 1.85 million Moderna doses were fully booked and reservations for those who couldn’t sign up will resume on July 19,” the Korea Disease Control and Prevention Agency (KDCA) said in a statement. A total of around 3.52 million people in the 55-59 age group were eligible to sign up, leaving 1.67 million still to reserve shots.
Just about 11.6% of the country’s 52 million population has completed vaccination, including receiving both shots for products requiring two doses, while 30.4% have received one dose, according to government data.
South Korea expects to receive at least another 9 million doses this month, but the government hasn’t released the exact timeline, citing a non-disclosure agreement with the vaccine makers.

So not exactly a local government propaganda trumpet, unless I am missing something/misunderstood.

Basically, worldwide there are still kinks in the vaccination machinery due to shortages and the second/third/fourth wave.

Yeah, at least we have a local vaccine in case of emergency.

3 Likes

Korea has 35.5% singled dosed and 13.6% fully vaccinated.

??? No we dont

1 Like

Are appointments still only available for 38+ year olds? Any idea what the next age will be?

13-18

I think she meant local vaccine coming soon.

1 Like

I guess between being a lab rat for an unproven vaccine vs the virus… not sure.

I honestly feel like I’m living in a Mike Judge movie right now.

2 Likes

Yeah but it’s going to be quite a while till there are sufficient volumes of it.

South Korea example is exactly why Taiwan is going to keep this level 2 for a while including tough border restrictions for even longer.

might be slightly off topic, but what are the changes Taiwan tries to get novavax?

also why the heck hasn’t this been approved yet if its this good?

https://www.reddit.com/r/taiwan/comments/otvexg/taiwans_medigen_could_be_up_to_90_effective/

got to see the mod of reddit Taiwan hyping up the median vaccine.

It’s basically the same as Novavax which has the best antibody response and seems to be great against Delta, unlike many of the other vaccines. If Medigen can indeed produce as much as they say, Taiwan might end up being the ‘export savior’ in this pandemic that started from China.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

another

Yeah, more effective than AZ and possibly fewer side effects than AZ or the mRNA vaccines. This could be quite the boon for Taiwan economically and diplomatically.

1 Like

Dude, we just got level 2 like two days ago. Too soon for people to feel restless for level 1 already. Let’s give it some time. Had my first coffee inside a Starbucks since April yesterday (I promise it was more about the comfy chairs and A/C than the quality of the coffee). It felt really weird pulling down my mask to have my drink and just chilling there without feeling like I couldn’t linger. Made me happy though, things are inching back towards normal, but definitely not there yet.

3 Likes

Taiwan is apparently getting through covax. I think they tried to get more but failed.

I also posted that CDC is negotiating with novavax to contract manufacture in Taiwan, with Terry Gou’s 台康 being most likely to be the manufacturer

日前,國衛院也積極為台廠爭取代工重組蛋白技術的Novavax疫苗訂單,市場點名台康等公司,皆可能是未來合作對象。

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mirrormedia.mg/story/amp/20210723ind002/