Coronavirus Vaccine in Taiwan - May/June 2021

Sure. But the minister is already on the forum, with random people. So here’s asking for an explanation as to why.

1 Like

I’m happy to reply with context. The new-style ARC numbering provides an opportunity for all agencies and service providers to have a conversation on why not to support them — i.e. it flips the default expectation.

For relevant context in Mandarin please see e.g.:

14 Likes

But it has been reported countless number of times that no one of the agencies actually implement the required changes.

I’m sure you must be knowing about national id numbers in other countries. Let’s take the US SSN as an example. any person who gets an SSN for work (includes citizens and non-citizens residents) which is 1 single format. All required info is stored in the database which can be queried by a licensed agency.

Why not design something like this? What do you see as a problem in actually having a single unified number?

I see the comments on the link you have, similar to what we’ve discussed here. The sentiment is along the same lines - someone thinks the problem is not really there, or too hard to solve. Quoting 1 specific line auto-translated “ Yes, that is, is it possible to have a complete link with the old one after the migration? I’m sorry, we really don’t know the design of each bank’s migration. In the meeting that day, it was mentioned that the follow-up will be used, whether there are stocks, such as the link between the service agent, insurance company’s rules and your bank account, will this link be automatically made after you get it, or you have to wait until After I became the public to apply, I would need to verify and do these things. The relevant financial institutions also have such doubts, messages and reactions.”

Seriously, why make things unnecessarily complicated. The “new” ARC format, promised to ease pain, has helped in exactly 0 situations till now, AFAICS.

The way of going about this is completely wrong.

The NHI number is shared by residents and citizens alike. Why not use the NHI number for everything in public service? Perhaps because the NHI is designed after the hùkǒu system.

In any case this thread is about vaccines, and the agencies involved in MOHW are working to implement the required changes, thanks in no small part to the possibility of only supporting new-style ARC in a new system — Even though we may end up support both styles through automated mapping.

18 Likes

I’m not 100% sure what that is but I would guess that it would look at the number format and allocate the process to follow which ever rules are needed to verify that number.
If this is so, could it be also used for passport numbers for people who are currently staying in Taiwan but are not resident, making it fully inclusive.
I mean at the end of the day we want as many people safe as possible.

1 Like

For the initial launch, people outside the NHI system are unfortunately not supported. We’ll continue to work on that.

New gold card holders — regardless of employment status — are freshly included thanks to the Foreign Talent Act amendment.

18 Likes

The city government just informed my wife that she can get vaccinated tomorrow. I’m going to see how the process goes.

1 Like

I just read through this whole thing. Really appreciate the advocacy on behalf of the foreign community in Taiwan, even just from a technology perspective.

13 Likes

They may not let you in, when I had my second shot today anyone not having a shot (or assisting some one) had to wait outside. I have heard the same form others who have taken people over the last few days.

1 Like

This is a great idea and I hope they follow through with it. Too many old folk not turning up for their appointment.

2 Likes

Whatever to get 50% plus vaccination. This seems to be when things can start to open up, judging from the situation in other countries. In any event, I sure do hope vaccine hesitancy is being considered fully. Stated differently, I sure do hope the very recent lessons from other countries are being studied by government officials here in Taiwan.

1 Like

Makes me wonder how many doses are being poured down the drain everyday if they are considering this. We can’t expect donations to continue if x amount get wasted on a regular basis. Any stats on this? I suspect not.

1 Like

From this, does it appear as though Minister Chen is possibly thinking of lifting some of Taiwan’s restrictions when vaccine rates hit 20%?

Brian Hioe 丘琦欣 on Twitter: “Chen Shih-chung states that some effects seen in other countries at 20% vaccination, in response to media question about not lifting level 3 until 30% vaccination” / Twitter

I may be wrong but i think it would be at most 9 per centre per vaccine available.

It is a great idea. And then…

When asked whether Taiwan would consider a similar option for people under the age of 30, Health Minister and CECC head Chen Shih-chung (陳時中) said he would “lean towards opening up” the use of leftover vaccines. However, he said he would need to first broach the proposal with cities and counties represented at a national epidemic prevention conference slated for Friday (June 25).

In addition, he said there are implementation issues that need to be resolved and standards to be set. He also emphasized that the center is open to creating special vaccine programs for various counties and cities based on their specific needs.

He said that for example, if many homeless people in Greater Taipei are testing positive for COVID-19, the local governments can propose a vaccination plan within a certain scope. Chen said that the CECC would then coordinate with those governments on implementing it.

TW too slow and bureaucratic.

The problem with this idea is that this is Taiwan, as soon as it’s implemented clinics vaccine demand and “no show” rates will both go up, suddenly there’ll be “excess” vaccine all over the place and with clinics able to control their own waiting lists it will go to the highest bidder.

1 Like

Next time I’ll do a gratitude tour of Czech Republic and Lithuania.

2 Likes

“I gave high blood pressure, high cholesterol and high blood sugar and I am fat. Talking AZ is out of the question”, says a 68 year old when asked if he’s going to vaccinate. :wall:

A local politician demands Taiwan government to take Chinese vaccines, he will be the first one to take it. Netizens point out he already has been shot with AZ… :rant:

3 Likes

Not sure if this has been posted here, but i have been seeing how wonderful the Chinese vaccines are.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/health/they-relied-on-chinese-vaccines-now-theyre-battling-outbreaks

Im following the Guangdong outbreak with every bit of information got now. They are testing millions a day and have basically shut off the whole province. I feel the outbreak there with the Indian variant is pretty serious and they are doing anything they can to stop it spreading. Because if it did, and was shown the Chinese vaccines are substandard, would be a huge blow for the party.

I do wonder how poor the Chinese vaccines are though. I thought even with them, the chance of serious COVID are pretty small