Coronavirus Vaccine in Taiwan - May/June 2021

Part of the reason for the annual flu shots is that the influenza virus changes significantly enough every year to evade protection from the past year’s vaccine.

Coronavirus isn’t exactly the same. Fortunately, it’s mutating much more slowly.

Actually some of the data on the vaccines is pretty promising in suggesting that we might not need annual boosters. The variants are a big wildcard though.

1 Like

Boosters usually last way longer than the first shot.

The problem with flu vaccine is that there are a shit ton of flu viruses and they are all mutating fast. So it’s not just how long the vaccine lasts but whether it will be effective against the next version of seasonal flu.

1 Like

Yes, but it doesn’t drop off a cliff after 90 days: the quote @SuiGeneris used above can be read to say that at 91 days, all bets are off. But that’s not really the case.

That being said, with one shot of AZ in my arm and my second dose theoretically due in two days (which obviously won’t happen), I do feel like I’ve got a temporary boost in a video game and it’s going to fade fast and oh no what’ll I do when that happens?!

1 Like

More bad PR for TW on the “other countries are to blame for us not having vaccines” front?

1 Like

Well when it comes to healthcare, I’m definitely not taking any Chinese medicine. RoC, P-RoC vaccine - they’re the same crap for me.

1 Like

You do realize that Taiwan has not been part of the PRC for one minute since the latter was founded in 1949?

You do realize that disclosure of data and information is utterly dissimilar in these two nations?

Why you would choose to chuck them together in one big bad box is really difficult to understand. :upside_down_face:

Guy

1 Like

Ok so? What’s your point? Both of them don’t have any solid reputation in the pharmaceutical industry in general for quality products.

You’re the one chucking them together in the same box.

I’m asking you to explain why that’s helpful as the evident dissimilarities are far more obvious than any similarities.

In short: make your case.

Unless of course you’re just ranting, which actually seems more likely at this stage. In that case, I think going for a walk or a bike ride would probably be more helpful. :slightly_smiling_face:

Guy

2 Likes

The evident dissimilarity may not result in evidently different outcomes.

The article I pointed to above clearly states that they’re following a non standard path for phase 3. Here’s another one:

The decisions are being made by government agents. What medical training do they have?

If the local vaccines miraculously works, good for them.

But given a choice I’ll be sticking with western researched, developed and tested vaccines.

1 Like

I see where you are coming from.

At the same time, we know that the US has been involved in astonishing f-ups too. That ridiculous vaccine factory in Baltimore has been marked by quality control problems and wasted vaccines on a vast scale (both AZ and J&J—Canada just binned a large tranche of the latter due to the problems with quality control).

Based on this incompetence, would I trash every US made vaccine? No. But the authorities do need to watch out and make sure such substandard products are not distributed or jabbed into arms.

Guy

1 Like

correct. I get that they made mistakes. They also corrected them. They have a solid reputation for what, past 100 years, of developing good medical practices and doing research. Which Taiwan pharma company has been exporting quality, locally researched products for a long time?

2 Likes

The whatabboutism is strong here.

The J&J situation is actually an example of regulation working. The FDA stepped in, forced J&J to take control of the plant, and has made sure that batches that were potentially contaminated didn’t reach the public.

This is not at all comparable to authorizing a vaccine that has not undergone a standard Phase III trial to establish efficacy.

7 Likes

Except when they didn’t.

The Canadian authorities received the J&J they ordered, and determined that that quality control in the production process could not be demonstrated.

In any case, my point is NOT that the US is like the PRC. That’s a ridiculous comparison. And in my view, so is the early attempt in this thread to put Taiwan’s science in the same box as the PRC’s. Sorry!

Guy

1 Like

They are skipping phase III trials of the local vaccine, exactly like the PRC, which was the point being made above. The comparison is 100% fair and accurate.

1 Like

Suit yourselves!

Guy

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/558159-canada-rejects-300k-jj-vaccine-doses-made-at-troubled-baltimore-facility

Canada decided that it didn’t want vaccines made in this facility because it was aware of the issues and didn’t have the ability to inspect the plant itself. Fair enough. That doesn’t mean that the batches it was sent were actually contaminated, or that there was some sort of malfeasance on the part of US regulators.

Again, the FDA stepped in and told J&J it had to fix the issues in the plant, and has forced J&J to dispose of a large number of batches it couldn’t be sure about. That’s exactly what you’d expect a first-world regulator to do.

Why are you continuing to bring the US into this? Like I said, the situations you’re trying to compare are not comparable.

Planning to vaccinate large numbers of people with a vaccine that hasn’t been proven effective through a legitimate Phase III trial is comparable to what the PRC does.

China took an unorthodox and somewhat risky approach to developing its COVID vaccines, rolling them out at a blistering pace and with little transparency early on about their efficaciousness. But the WHO’s endorsement of the jabs confirms that the bets paid off. Now, with the WHO’s blessing, China is positioned to take a lead role in delivering vaccine supplies to the countries that need them most.

It sort of worked out, but now we’re seeing an explosion of cases in some countries where Sinovac and Sinopharm were used, like Chile, Seychelles, Bahrain, to the point that the latter is now giving Pfizer booster doses to vulnerable populations who were originally vaxxed with the Chinese vax.

2 Likes

What about allergies? I have allergies. Is there anyone else in this thread who would respectfully decline the kind offer of a vaccine? I’m somewhat worried about side effects.

I think I will not take the vaccine. Is there anyone else? Skimming the replies, I see 2.9k replies from enthusiastic buzz marketers.

Maybe I should bump that thread, and just hang out there.

What allergies do you have? If you have a legitimate reason to be concerned about a reaction, you should talk to your doctor. They will be able to tell you about the risks and advise you.

Thanks for the speedy reply Baobab.

Allergies:

• I’m kind of intolerant to penicillin. Not exactly fatal intolerant, but enough to make me groggy as hell when I took it during my A-Levels.
  • I don’t get on well with pharmaceuticals in general, and tend to get a lot of side effects.
  • I don’t eat meat. Hate it.
  • I don’t like onions and garlic. That’s one of the reasons I stayed so long in Taiwan.
  • The lights on the MRT, especially the red line, nearly blind me. Can’t stand them. I don’t mind bright sunlight, but neons are a drag. I believe I’m photosensitive.
  • Peanuts are alright. Not big on soy. I guess Tempeh is alright, but then they fry it in gutter oil, which I am also allergic to.
  • I don’t like wifi much.
  • Smartphones give me throbiing headaches, seriously. I had to throw mine away. I use a burner phone now, or meet people in specified places.
  • I used to buy bitter tea from the stand on the corner near Watsons near Danshui. I love it. But then I started to get stomachaches. So I’m allergic to that too.
  • I’m basically allergic to the whole damn planet.
  • I’m allergic to having Q-Tips forced into my brain.

That’s all I can think of right now.

Will the unvaxxed be alright? Will free will be respected? Can we co-exist in harmony?

So in other words you’re not allergic to anything, just an anti-vaxxer.

6 Likes