Coronavirus Vaccine in Taiwan - May/June 2021

Those Chinese vaccines they hail as savior actually won’t get here until August or September…if they get here
…just in time to compete with local one.

For reference

And interesting stuff about the development of local vaccines

3 Likes

They arent Chinese vaccines and they wouldnt be competing

2 Likes

Please confirm those Phase III trials (India/Brazil/US).
They are very expensive. About U$10,000 per participant, and numbers range over 10,000. Taiwan firms don’t have that moolah, unless you are sending info that is not yet known.
The local firms would need the Twn gov’t to help pay for them, or get an overseas investor to do so. Both not known as of yet.

There is a US partner. Read 3rd link.

If we get sugar water we’ll be lucky.

Why would an entity that has blocked access to information to Taiwan be transparent in this matter?

1 Like

COVAXX is currently in Phase 2 clinical trials of UB-612 in Taiwan with a grant from Taiwan’s Ministry of Health and Welfare, and will soon begin Phase 2/3 trials in India in partnership with Aurobindo. COVAXX has an agreement with Diagnosticos da America SA (DASA S.A.), the largest clinical diagnostic company in Brazil, to conduct Phase 2/3 clinical trials and distribute vaccines within Brazil. COVAXX also announced a global logistics partnership with Maersk, the world’s largest shipping and integrated logistics provider, that creates a framework for all transportation and supply chain services that will be needed to deliver COVAXX’s UB-612 around the world. COVAXX has advance purchase commitments and agreements for its UB-612 vaccine to deliver doses across multiple countries including low income countries.

:arrow_up: this?

3 Likes

Start there.

1 Like

Did I miss where it says which Taiwan firm is COVAXX’s partner.
Which local biotech are they (COVAXX) doing the vaccine with?
Medigen is doing its own.

Meh . . . I read the links, but I’m not sure why this is being celebrated. Tsai and Chen have already told us they are going to start jabbing people with the Taiwanese vaccines in July. There is no way a phase III trial can be conducted and concluded by than, it’s two months away!

We are clearly getting an inferior product here, to the BNT vaccine, which was already fully tested and has went into millions of arms around the world, in order for Taiwan to pat itself on the back for being independent. Choosing pride over safety and effectiveness.

6 Likes

Yes, I’ve been saying that. The 2 local firms are coming through Phase II by end-July. Repeat, end-July. That’s 2 months away.
I read those articles and I don’t see which local firm suddenly has an offshore partner to pay the Phase III trial costs (huge) of the local firms’ vaccine (not the U.S. firm vaccine). Maybe COVAXX is just doing trials in Taiwan. That’s different. Any biotech firm can do Phase III trials in any country.
Please point this out, if anyone knows; otherwise, it’s still Phase II vaccine in August (“end-July” is really August. It’s like saying $99.99, when really it’s 1 cent from $100).

2 Likes

I mean thats a separate issue.

But the vaccines FOSUN sell are at least supposed to be the ones procured from Germany, they arent manufactured in China.

They wont be competing, because people wont get a choice. You goto get your vaccine and they give you whatever they have

1 Like

you don’t think people will choose the time and place they go based on what it is they have?

Based on the UK, you go there and they give you a vaccine. The only place I have seen otherwise is in the US, where there is surplus and they can tell you what vaccines are in which location. Its unlikely Taiwan will have a surplus. From now on, we will get whatever vaccines are available

Based on your sample, that is 50/50 is it not?

But it is likely that there will be a variety of different vaccines available, at least in the foreseeable future, so anyone willing to wait has options. I’m not saying they should wait, or that in the future there won’t be one predominantly available vaccine.

My only point was there will be some people who would rather wait and be vaccine shoppers than take the first available jab.

With such scarcity of vaccines and such immediate need, i think its really really unlikely that the government encourages the logistic shit show of vaccine shopping.

EU countries give you a choice

2 Likes

How many vaccines they have? Have they purchased in surplus of the population. Taiwan has 23 million people and going into September we will have 12 million vaccine shots.

This is a different topic, but since you are changing direction I suppose now you see the sense in my point.

As for the government’s logistic shit show, I’m not sure if you been following the covid-related news lately but you should start with the initial vaccination effort and work your way forward…

All the more reason for the government to not care if some individuals aren’t in a hurry for this one or that one. They didn’t care before, and now demand is higher so they’ll have less trouble getting rid of the vaccine that they get.

Not following sorry. Most of Taiwan’s vaccines will be the domestic vaccine that hasnt gone through phase 3 testing, and then a smaller amount of AZ and an even smaller amount of Moderna.

You would be inviting disaster to let people make their own choices. I dont think need to elaborate why

2 Likes

ah, democracy

1 Like