Coronavirus Vaccine in Taiwan - May/June 2021

It’s totally possible, if the correct procedures are followed. If you need proof, the NHI currently uses hundreds of generic drugs produced in China. But Fosun won’t apply unless it knows the application will be approved.

3 Likes

And Tsai knows she is willing to play this game forever!

I just looked it up. Over the two-week period between May 9 (92,049 doses administered) and May 23 (302,698 doses administered), Taiwan apparently administered 210,649 doses, so an average of 15,000 doses per day. This corresponds to the steepest period on the curve below, when a comparatively high proportion of people wanted to get vaccinated and you would hope that the government and hospital administrators felt some sense of urgency.

I’ll leave it to the reader to do the depressing math of dividing the population of Taiwan by 15,000 and then dividing that by 365.25 to convert into years, which are the units in which the answer is better expressed.

5 Likes

Not like we have the choice since FOSUN is not able to sell it.

Yeah they would be cause this: Coronavirus Vaccine in Taiwan - May/June 2021 - #1225 by Icon . There is an argument to stick to proven technology over mRNA.

1 Like

I mean I hope that they are right now working on a logistical and distribution network including big hospitals, clinics, churches etc, across the country to roll out in September. Otherwise we are fucked, as can never get anywhere with the current SOP and only using big hospitals

Nah, no point spending time on that now, right? They can wait for the vaccines to arrive before thinking about that. :man_facepalming:

2 Likes

Unfortunately, and I am neutral on her politics, but she’s playing a losing game. The cards she’s been dealt are like a pair of two’s.
She better think of something, instead of hiding most of the time.

Me too! We have the giant vacant exposition halls that would be perfect for large scale vaccinations.

3 Likes

Exactly. And she should stop hiding behind a mask when it’s only her speaking.

Not sure if going to hospital was the SOP before COVID. I never got vaccinated in hospital before, always went to a small clinic that I trust.

Insightful…

For COVID vaccines it was big hospitals

Sure, but only cause it was a limited resource. Besides, there is already a network outside hospital that usually vaccinate people. Both will need to be scaled of course.

Not sure if you’re being sarcastic…

1 Like

Yeah, if you start crunching the numbers, based on a single appointment taking 5-10 minutes, you realize the scale that needs to be achieved. Will need to use more locations like churches, community centers, gyms etc. Also will need a lot of manpower and a dedicated computer system to handle it all. Plus the cold logistics network. Its quite an operation and I hope they are already on it

2 Likes

It takes longer in the U.S.
You arrive, fill out paperwork the first time (for CDC card).
You get your shot.
You have to wait at least 15 minutes or more in an area to make sure you don’t keel over and die.
That’s about 20-25 minutes minimum per person.
However, some places did carloads of people. Shot-receivers stay in the car, and get the shot through the window. Up to 4 at a time.
That’s efficiency. Taiwan will be at a snail’s pace when it comes to mass vaccination, me thinks.

In the UK, everything is done through the NHS system. All of your details are online anyway and you apply online through the NHS website for your appointment. Essentially Taiwan could do something like that with the NHI

1 Like

Also depends on the type of vaccine. Some can be conserved in a regular fridge, so it is easy to delegate to many smaller structures like local clinics. Others need special equipement for conservation and in this case centralized structure is a requirement.

Well then yeah, another complication in a fast rollout

She is acting like a model for others.

Could you imagine the sh&t people would say if she didn’t follow the rules her own government devised?

Guy

7 Likes