Coronavirus Vaccine in Taiwan - May/June 2021

I think these COVID vaccines should be free to whomever is on ROC soil. It’s in everyone’s best interest anyway.

1 Like

It is, even the self-paid one, you were paying specially scheduled injection, not for the vaccine.

Discrete way to get the vaccine over here from another EU nation maybe…

1 Like

Even with an excellent healthcare system, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. It’s far better to be vaxed than to risk Covid and death or grave illness. It’s far better to vax the population to end the pandemic sooner rather than extending the universally hated “new normal” for years.

1 Like

We need a Guam travel bubble. Vaccines and sandy beaches.

My vaccine got cancelled today they gave my pre booked one to someone more important.

1 Like

Which priority group are you in?

Over 50 and travelling to a funeral in England.

2 Likes

I am so sorry for your loss.

If true, think about that for a minute. They’ve had multiple waves and they still have to deal with vaccine hesitancy. No guarantee it will be any different in TW.

Foxconn Technology Group founder Terry Gou (郭台銘) wants to buy 10 million doses of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine from overseas to distribute in Taiwan, reports said Thursday (May 27).

If he really pulls that off - respect for that guy. But I doubt it will happen.

2 Likes

Why is he focused on BnT vaccine, which has all sorts of political complexity and drama? There are other vaccines he could try to get. More Moderna or AZ. J&J. One of the vaccines in Phase III that are probably close to approval in a reputable country.

3 Likes

Yeah, but there’s a limited number, they’ve got their priority list, and they don’t really care if the wai-z guys die.
I don’t mind if the old folx get the mRNA vaccines first. I want to wait a year and see if anyone goes Cronenberg before I get it. I’d take the Oxford-AZ one, no hesitation, because it’s a traditionally made. The rest are probably ok, but I don’t mind waiting for them. I’ve fought off worse, though that recent news about ED has me a little worried.

1 Like

What do you mean? ED as in can’t get a boner?

Pfizer makes another product that fixes that…

2 Likes

Put it on rice, wrap it in seaweed, and say it’s from Japan. People will be desperate for it. Offer a free meal if they change their name and they’ll bring all their friends. Some US states are doing raffles now. If Taiwan had done that from the beginning, there wouldn’t be as many hospital outbreaks. Folx love their discounts.
Soon and very soon, I’ll be standing in line trying to load my SIM while a dozen people are at the iBon machine registering to get the vaccine with a SOGO gift certificate.

And that’s how they get you. I think they call that vertical marketing.

2 Likes

This is the exact thinking that has contributed to TW’s mess. Frontliners waiting for a “better” vaccine.

Irony of your thinking is that the mRNA vaccines are proving to be the most efficacious (especially against variants) and have the fewest major adverse effects.

1 Like

The pressure keeps growing for the current administration to do something quickly. Move over Rover, and let Terry take over. I personally like it because this kind of thing will result in faster import of vaccinations.

2 Likes

What makes you think he’s going to be able to do it? Other countries have orders in already, and I don’t see how you get around the fact that Fosun has the rights to “Greater China”, which covers Taiwan.

日本《產經新聞》28日清晨發布,「日本政府正在考慮支援台灣疫苗」,期望最快下個月便能提供,應證民進黨立委郭國文27日透露消息。

《產經新聞》報導獲得多位日本政府與執政黨自民黨內線消息,表示日本當局正考慮在不影響日本民眾接種的狀況下,透過COVAX平台、撥出一部分AZ疫苗給台灣使用。

報導更說,在過去許多次大規模災害發生時,台日都互助合作,因此日本政府也認為,這次有必要進行緊急處置、支援台灣,當局很快就會聽取台灣政府回報所需供給量和供給時間,經內部討論後,期盼最早下個月就能對台提供疫苗。

Now Japan wants to send AZ to Taiwan as soon as next month.
Would not impact Japan’s own vaccination drive.

C’mon Taiwan gov’t. tick tock tick tock

5 Likes

I really am not informed enough to make any kind of judgement. But I’m sure this ramps up the pressure on the current administration. And I’m happy about that. Not that I have anything against them, but people need to get off their asses, I believe.

Edit:

I can see why you thought I thought Terry Gou could pull this off. I really have no idea.

Edit 2:

It’s my understanding that Terry is working with Fosun on this deal.