Coronavirus Vaccine in Taiwan - May/June 2021

As in even the foreign minister

2 Likes

Japan is sending 1.2 million shots of AZ vaccines to Taiwan.

11 Likes

Corroborated by Kyodo News:

Guy

5 Likes

Awesome. Tick, tock, tick, tock. Biden it’s your turn now.

2 Likes

I’m reading tomorrow!

4 Likes

Given the massive surplus they have it’s not exactly generous!

2 Likes

Not exactly the 40m doses we were hoping for, but it’s a sign that Japan’s dealt with any possible legal issues in their contract with AZ. Here’s hoping we’ll get even more in the future! Thanks Japan!

5 Likes

It’s 1.2 million doses they didn’t have to send. Let’s not be ungrateful.

11 Likes

It’s interesting that we were discussing this just yesterday, when the CECC estimated a lower-than-usual blood clot risk of 2.1 per million, as reported by Focus Taiwan:

The CECC estimated that in Taiwan, the risk of developing a vaccine-induced blood clot is 2.1 per million doses, even though western countries have reported higher risks.

In the United Kingdom, the risk of developing a blood clot after a first shot was around 12.3 per million doses as of May 1, whereas in the European Union, the number stood at 6.5 per million doses as of April 4, according to CECC data.

So three more cases of blood clotting puts the risk in Taiwan in the 8 per million range (so far) if we continue with the same shonky math (and to be clear, we shouldn’t). That’s more dangerous than Europe, oh my god! Has the CECC released updated numbers yet? :yawning_face:

1 Like

Testing the waters? Seeing how the big baby reacts? I’m still happy. Talk about flipping the bird. Talk about efficiency. Talk about putting your money where your mouth is.

1 Like

True that, at least it means those of us that already have one shot of AZ have a slightly increased chance of getting the second shot

4 Likes

Hopefully it turns the majority off AZ again so selfish me gets his second shot!

6 Likes

With the 1.2 million coming tomorrow and presumably more to follow soon from Japan and other vaccines from other sources coming this month as well Taiwan should probably start ramping up vaccine roll outs pretty heavily this week.

We hit more than 56k a day yesterday if I recall correctly so looking forward to seeing big numbers in the next 1 or 2 weeks.

1 Like

Yeah, but you could say that about and claim the same moral obligation for anywhere, no? And nonetheless, many countries don’t have enough vaccines.

Same with issues like poverty, refugees, exploitation, etc., before eradicating coronavirus became the main focus of everything – it may be that the international community is quite selective about which moral obligations they’re obligated to follow. (Although it would be nice to have vaccines etc., I’d find it hard to justify a strong moral obligation to this end, in the grand scheme of things, at the expense of other issues, and when Taiwan has gotten off relatively lightly so far.)

2 Likes

The other good news is this means they’ll definitely exceed the 2 million vaccines by the end of June goal.

2 Likes

Slightly less selfish me is just hoping for his first shot!

5 Likes

Popular (?) YouTuber that works NTU Hospital made a video about the vaccines (AZ, Moderna, Pfizer)…basically same thing that has been said in many countries. Pretty much, generally speaking the best vaccine is the one you can get and that Pfizer and Moderna also have their fair share of side effects as well.

Hopefully it will get rid of some of hesitancy around AZ and stop people from thinking Moderna and Pfizer are the end all be all.
It was certainly weird how some friends talked about Moderna and Pfizer as if they were some type of holy grail of covid vaccines.

7 Likes

This is quickly becoming academic (because it’s not going to happen- pussies!) and moot (because I think vaccines are coming and the new system of 1,000,000 vaccinations a day is perhaps an indication of something big in the works). So I will bow out of this particular sub-topic. You and others make some good points, but I still feel I’m right!

1 Like

The goal is 1 million vaccinations a week, not day.

4 Likes

Yes, I stand corrected. Egg on my face.

1 Like