Coronavirus Vaccine in Taiwan - September/October 2021

I’ve only been paying much attention to Canada, but for Canada at least, those with accepted vaccines don’t have to quarantine. Foreign nationals with other vaccines (or none) do still have to quarantine.

EDIT: So for example if my (Taiwanese) spouse only had Medigen, she’d have to quarantine in Canada, whereas if she had AZ she wouldn’t.

1 Like

Right, but places like Italy or the UK or Turkey aren’t asking for quarantines…with or without vaccines. Just a negative test.

4 Likes

Isnt that basically how long these tests are supposed to be though?

That’s my understand you need to follow participants for at least a year to see how long the immunity is maintained. The additional 3 months is probably time for the two doses to be administered.

1 Like

Depends on where you are flying from to there.

There are too many countries still without a single dose or very pitiful amounts of vaccines. Or they got Sinovac and need reinforcement.

I was looking at the old country. It is on category 4 alert on US State Dept list of COVID danger, meaning travel is not advised. Yet I see tourists going in and out, US, Europe. You see them out and about I the streets without masks- they post videos on TikTok praising the food, the weather, the landscape, the bargain. The country has no tracing, no quarantine, no vaccine/test requirements, nothing but a proof of insurance is required to travel there. Cases still on the thousands, ICU has thousands, vaccination not 50% one dose yet. AZ, Pfizer, can’t hold back infection if it keeps coming in.

1 Like

The phrase “shutting the stable door” springs to mind. If things are as bad as you say, then stopping tourists coming in (or telling them to wear masks, or whatever) would seem rather pointless.

I notice several countries on the “level 4” list have few or no declared cases of COVID. Which rather casts doubt on the usefulness of the whole thing.

2 Likes

I am already planning ahead and taking it as a fact that quarantine will be required upon return. The world will be in this mess one more year at least. Worst case scenario.

Our chance is that Taiwan will look to Japan. If Taiwanese can shake the travel bug by going to Japan, then we may have some leeway to travel. But that also depends on Japan licking the bug enough for authorities to establish a travel bubble of sorts. IMHO.

Yeah, I don’t think it’s atypical for a regular drug. I just mean it seems to imply that companies see multiple more years of sales in their vaccines, with the clock starting 15+ months from now, which is a bit, like, fuuuuuuuuuuuccck…

I mean it’s not going away right?

It doesn’t seem like it, does it?

Maybe after the 17th booster shot?

2 Likes

Here we go again.

A Chinese biopharmaceutical company is in the process of acquiring the license for a Canadian mRNA COVID-19 vaccine, including the rights to the Taiwan market and other countries in the region, raising the possibility of future complications should Taiwan wish to obtain the jab.

1 Like

So we should see the 1st dose numbers getting significantly higher in the coming weeks.

Taipei’s Department of Education said Tuesday that of the 148,760 students enrolled in schools that have finished collecting the forms, 93.8 percent indicated their willingness to get the vaccine at school.

Another 1.3 percent said they would be receiving the jab at hospitals, while 4.8 percent either didn’t hand in the consent form or said no to the vaccine.

2 Likes

They’ll have to work pretty hard to cover up the deaths of 12-17 year olds. Some old codger dying a week after his shot is easily dismissed as a coincidence. Kids, less so.

6 Likes

They should put aside a million doses for those ones who had Moderna so they don’t have to follow up with Medigen imo. I have a bad feeling that many who opted only for Moderna on first shot will not be keen to follow up with Medigen, and will just never get that second shot.

4 Likes

A few more countries than Taiwan though…

…“will also own the rights to vaccine sales in Pakistan, Indonesia, Singapore, and Thailand.”

1 Like

That’s a surprise as Canada and China are not on good standing since a few years.

1 Like

I’m calling my MP!

4 Likes

Providence is a private company and the Canadian Government doesn’t interfere in private companies’ decisions.

A little discouraging to realize we still haven’t even fully vaccinated airport workers.

4 Likes