Coronavirus Vaccine in Taiwan - September/October 2021

I have no problem with AZ. Seems to work overtime just as well as the mRna ones, maybe even last longer.

Yes I agree, that’s consistent with what I’ve read. The fact you’ve received mixed doses may be even better as data from the Canadian provinces of BC and Quebec have shown.

Guy

Didn’t you already get vaccinated months ago with the rest of us? I thought you had…

yeah seriously. I thought spike had injected every vaccine known to mankind by now. Are you telling us you actually waited for an mRNA vaccine?. Be more patriotic. yeeesh

As I’ve indicated in some earlier posts, I am among the idiots who selected Moderna and BNT only.

With Moderna, I grossly underestimated:

a) the number of old people in Taiwan; and
b) the slowness of Moderna’s delivery schedule.

My a&& however may be saved by the heaps of BNT now arriving. I am scheduled to be one of the recipients next week.

Guy

3 Likes

What was your reasoning behind this decision?

I teach (like many of us posting here) in a postsecondary institution in Taiwan. I read that teachers were to be included in priority category 7. Great! I reasoned—correctly, it turns out—that they would be allotted AZ based on availability at that time. I thought, OK, I’ll also request Moderna through the general online system to leave this option open—whatever comes first. Well, the next step was the MOE deciding that postsecondary teachers are not teachers and therefore not included in category 7. At that point, I was left with Moderna only. I added BNT as soon as it was possible to do so, and I will receive that vaccine in the first round I’ve been eligible.

In short, I have followed a convoluted path showing quite clearly that I am not very bright—overestimating the MOE, Moderna’s delivery schedule, and my potential luck all at once.

Guy

6 Likes

I still don’t understand, but that’s probably down to me.

You are not alone.

Guy

1 Like

come on man, what happen?

you know you could have gone to a clinic and asked? or you could have changed to medigen? You could have done it, but you clearly don’t believe in medigen and it seems you are doing mental gymnastics to get around the fact you clearly seemed quite fixated on the mRNA vaccines? Did you also tell others to get anything asap? just asking.

2 Likes

Locally produced Medigen is available to pretty much any adult who wants it.

oh good.

There seems to be a change in registration groups today. They now allow age 44 to register.

2 Likes

I believe it was 47 and older previously so now it’s 44 and older. And this is for the first BNT shot. All the press releases, etc. are written so poorly so anyone feel free to correct me.

1 Like

I think they should keep lowering the ages until all the available registration for that week is full. After the first 2 days of opening for a specific group, if there are still spots, then continue to widen the groups. There is no reason that we can’t continue to give out 300k shots a day or close to whatever the potential is. Maybe that is what they are doing now.

1 Like

They have more supply—in this case of BNT—than demand. This is good!

Guy

3 Likes

So more supply of medigen, biontech and Astra zeneca than demand? How does Taiwan want to reach over 80 percent vaccination rate? I said already this won’t happen without announcing further reduction in their zero covid strategy. Vietnam and Australia did so just yesterday… Only China and new Zealand that haven’t announced when life including travel will start again…

What are you talking about? This is the first moment where there has been sufficient vaccines

Yes I know, but it comes earlier than expected… And that is not due too unexpected deliveries… so far it’s all going like I said 2-3 months ago. Without further announcement don’t expect vaccination rates over 80 percent, max 70 double vaxxed.

I don’t get you logic. I know loads of people waiting for vaccines.

Also as I mentioned before, just offer a free Starbucks and all the laggards will take it.

1 Like

You need around 90 percent of the people over 12years to reach 80 percent vaccination rate. It doesn’t look like 6-12 years are getting vaxxed soon. No studies done on 6-12 year olds yet AFAIK.

And again same pattern as in Europe, once it’s not scarce anymore less people will want it. People were dodging lines to get it…
But now many will not take the second shot if there aren’t incentives. For young people travel and be able to come back without quarantine being the number one…

As even Vietnam and Australia are looking forward to open rather soon, that leaves only nz, Taiwan and China as the odd ones out. Pressure is mounting up…