Coronavirus Vaccine in Taiwan - September/October 2021

BOING, and UP goes the Vaccination Rate, no doubt due to the most recent AZ shipment coming into use.

237,233 doses given yesterday (mostly AZ 1st doses), of which 16,761 were second doses. 971,041 are now fully vaccinated.
https://www.cdc.gov.tw/File/Get/wqSSC9Lhr3rJ5NP6F2RoBQ

6 Likes

It’s the least they can do after the mass killing of those smuggled cats in Kaohsiung!

Guy

4 Likes

1 Like

Anyone know why Poland is donating?

Discussions have apparently been going on for a while. Here’s some of the background story, from early August:

Guy

3 Likes

I don’t know, but next time your pal says “isn’t it great that USA and Japan have donated so many vaccines,” you can reply…

(Okay, I’ve been waiting years for any opportunity to use that ancient meme again)

6 Likes

I think that a few countries are in a position where they have stock on hand that will expire in a few months and they cant use it all by then, due to simply having too much, or the anti AZ mob have caused hesitancy, so they give it away to ‘friends’. How those friends are selected would depend on a number of factors.

Selling it is probably barred by the original purchase agreement, so its donate or trade for similar at a later date (which Australia has just done with Singapore and the UK for BNT).

3 Likes

Belgium is closing vaccination centers.

Because they know what it is to live under the boot of oppression?

Cherry on top is them using the ROC flag on Twitter

https://twitter.com/MSZ_RP/status/1434109712572813314?s=19

:rofl:

2 Likes

Look, no one is satisfied with vaccine deployment.

Certain groups complain that the BNT should go to the elderly, which are more likely to die.

Others push for the younger workers to be given shots as they are the ones more exposed out there in the world.

Then the CECC insists the BNT should be used for kids as per whoever said it was so.

Folks have been led to believe AZ is a killer and it has taken an outbreak to get them to take it… grudgingly.

Then we have now local news warning about Moderna and BNT side effects… So people are taking them fearfully.

And some want more vaccines of any kind…

3 Likes

Poland’s donation is in the air and on it’s way to Taiwan.

5 Likes

And it has arrived, on EVA no less!!

4 Likes

They better lock up the Eva pilot or it’s for naught.

1 Like

EDIT - and a separate order, arriving this afternoon - 410,400 doses and is part of the COVAX order.

8 Likes

Oh wow, I didn’t think we would see any covax this year. Happy days

1 Like

Earlier reports had indicated that Taiwan had requested all remaining COVAX orders to be Novavax.

It seems that has not (yet?) worked out.

Guy

It had me confused, as I thought it was just a more precise figure for the Poland shipment that arrived this morning, but closer reading revealed it was separate.

If I remember I think 2.6 million were novavax and the rest whatever

1 Like

Yes apparently 400,000 AZ donated by Poland plus 410,400 AZ via COVAX. They all help!

Source: https://twitter.com/brianhioe/status/1434404566766800899

Guy

5 Likes

Now we just need some more Moderna shipments, like about 3-4M, to allow for 2nd doses.

1 Like