Corruption perception in Taiwan (2021 edition)

sure will do. will do it later because im off the computer for a while.

No worries. Take your time.

While I’m sure that you could find a study which says Taiwan is the 16th least corrupt country in the world, the ones my company uses to assess risk puts it between 20-40. In one about 90% of people saw government corruption as a big problem, and 1 in 5 reported paying or receiving a bribe in the last year.

I designed a more data-based risk model for my company using information from various audit and investigative functions as well as third party assessments, and Taiwan comes in at around 45: lower than almost all developed countries and better than most of the developing ones. I can say from personal experience that corruption is a huge problem. I remember when I first came here I would tell people that I’m an anti-bribery lawyer; so many people laughed and just wished me good luck.

3 Likes

Well… I’m not just pulling this out of my ass :wink:

That doesn’t really reflect if corruption is actually a big problem or not.

So does Transparency International. That’s their sole purpose.

I acknowledge the work you’ve done but I can’t comment on it because you haven’t shared your data and methodologies. It might be private so I am not going to press you for it.

Would you be willing to share such experiences?

In terms of anecdotal experiences shared by members of the public, I think it’s good to keep in mind that many people often set their opinions in stone once formulated, despite the reasons or experiences that caused them to formulate their opinion. It is possible they formed their opinion during the dictatorship years when corruption was much more rampant than it is today. It’s possible they were on the losing side of a dispute, become salty and feel it was corrupt because ‘There’s no possible way I’m wrong, they must’ve cheated’. It could be they saw one or two people being prosecuted for corruption, (which IMO is an indicator of a country being less corrupt as it punishes criminals) and think the whole country is corrupt. For many, the lack of news on corruption means everything is fine. I take prosecutions to mean the system is not as corrupt as we think as the criminals are getting punished. Corrupt people might exist, but IMO, the country itself isn’t as corrupt as one might think.

I also think relativity also plays a role in perceptions, though this applies to foreigners more than locals, but sometimes locals as well. If you grow up in a place like Canada or Norway etc and then move here where corruption is worse, it’s gonna seem like it’s the worst thing in the world because it’s worse than they’ve ever seen before.

1 Like

While much of what you say is true, these quotes are quite funny. You’re referencing the Corruption Perception Index…it is literally an assessment of the perception of corruption, not actual corruption. My 90% comes from the very organization and report that you’re basing your argument on. Furthermore, Wikipedia may interpret Taiwan to be 16th, but Transparency International themselves (and common logic) put it at 28. https://www.transparency.org/en/countries/taiwan

Because companies like Transparency International don’t evaluate actual corruption well (merely the perception of it), I based my model on actual instances of corruption and non-compliance with important processes, in addition to third party assessments like CPI, Trace, and others.

Edit, wrong link and missing a quote. Edit again…wrong third party assessment org. Sorry for the mistakes and edits.

3 Likes

I don’t know if I agree with this. Since a good number of countries tie, I think it’s wrong to skip numbers. I think it makes things look worse than they actually are. It doesn’t really change its position too much. Taiwan gets a 65.

Here’s the thing. It’s difficult to comment on your model cause I don’t have much to work with, but corruption by itself is inherently hard to measure. How can we measure things that are supposed to be secretive? If it’s not reported on or punished, that would probably bias such a report to make it look better than it actually is, or if everything is caught, prosecuted and punished how would you or your model interpret that? I think about where corruption is such a common occurrence like in China where things like bribing are necessary to get things done and are almost never punished.

I was trying to understand the point of the music video… Is crows a hidden meaning about a logical fallacy?

1 Like

Yeah, but there are 27 countries with a better score, making Taiwan 28th. That’s why Transparency themselves put it at 28th. I’ve never seen a ranking methodology that treats ties the way that Wikipedia did for this…and I spend a lot of time looking at rankings for countries, colleges, high schools, law schools, and business schools. Never seen it.

I used data from audits and investigations…almost none of these were ever reported to authorities. I agree with your assessment that vigorous enforcement is a good sign. It’s similar to how I treat companies that have had an FCPA violation: most that get caught dramatically overhaul their compliance functions, perversely making them safer companies to work with despite having a more dangerous red flag.

I’ve been doing some of my guesses in the guess thread in music, and apparently forgot to hit copy from the Transparency link.

3 Likes

Fair enough.

Egregious! Not fair enough! Bullshit! I’m kidding!

3 Likes

Out of context

He said, Taiwanese Justive is mostly reserved for locals. His meaning was black and white. That is utterly and completely untrue since Taiwan is a mostly human-rights-respecting democracy. If it’s not largely respecting human rights, it’s not a democracy.

1 Like

Do you think locals and non locals get equal treatment in the courts?

largely, yes.

1 Like

I think it is generally better for westerners than for locals in my subjective opinion.

Fify.

That’s the extended meaning of democracy. The basic meaning is simply a society that practices meaningful voting by something resembling universal suffrage.

See Labor Standards Act Art. 22 Par. 2 (the key being “全額”) and Civil Code Art. 483. It doesn’t spell it out like that, but if you think about it, why would it not mean that? Ask your lawyer. :slightly_smiling_face: