Corruption

You’ve got involved with the wrong guy. Let it go.

3 Likes

Some people will say literally anything.

A few years ago there was some westerner of note stating publicly that Cambodia had achieved zero corruption. :cactus: :cactus: :cactus:

Reminder to everyone:

Differing viewpoints are of course welcome, but no-one is going to encourage anyone to give anyone a beating.

Now, I know people say cambosia isn’t corrupt,

If it was the mafia in America or gang members in Brazil, you would certainly back off. You think because Taiwanese are generally so nice and it’s generally so safe here, that you can challenge them?
This isn’t any different. Organized crime pays off the right people so they can do what they have always done. Be criminals.

1 Like

I guess that I have to back off. However, it shows that the law really doesn’t count or have any significance here for foreigners. We’re really at the mercy of many people: judges, police, schools. It makes me wonder why I have stayed here so long.

fify

2 Likes

The media here is just as corrupt as the rest of the shitshow. Recently there was a case at a very prominent private elementary school where a teacher was taking nude pictures of students, while the perp has been arrested, the school made a significant payout to the media, and the whole affair was kept very hushed up, the school itself was never named. If you have the actual footage that would really help, and as someone else suggested international media would potentially be the way to go. The other option might be for that 爆料公社 facebook group, I’ve seen stories gain traction on there before.

and how did you hear about that if it was hushed up?
and the parents’ reaction?
were they hushed up, too?

Sometimes indeed.

Taiwan can and should do better.

I know someone that knows some of the children involved.

understand.
the school paid the media.
were the parents paid?

That, I’m not sure about.

Sometimes you let things go even when you know you can win (because revenge here is a serious matter). Just yesterday: In my scooter, went around a car that was letting in a passenger. Slow speeds. This car in the other lane honks at me. He had one of those really loud horns that the a-holes get. I jumped from the surprise because everything was so very calm up to that point. I turn around and chase him down at the red light up ahead. He acts like he’s looking for something on the seat and never makes eye contact. Those few seconds were enough to make me come to my senses. I turn my scooter back around and go home. Glad nothing came of the situation. Really glad.

2 Likes

that’s badass

1 Like

Not really. Kind of stupid. I know that road and the light at the other end of it is green for only a short while. The chance of it being red when I caught up to the car was very, very high. And it was (red). So glad the guy pulled that weird act, things didn’t escalate, and I decided quickly to back off. Stupid. Stupid. For such a small matter, too. I should know better.

2 Likes