Cory Booker's opportunity accounts plan

He wants to fight wage inequality by giving funds to poor kids. Where’s that money coming from you ask. The oppressive rich lol.

1 Like

Perhaps I missed that in the article, but where does it say the money is coming from “oppressive rich”?

“Booker would pay for his opportunity account program by increasing capital gains and estate taxes — two changes that would target directly America’s wealthier families.”

More taxes while promising free stuff.

IMAGINE MY SHOCK.

2 Likes

Sigh.

If it wasn’t so unutterably sad, it would be funny.

I think this video from Henry Rollins may be relevant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkvEpoqFx6c

His advice to people who are poor and not particularly talented (I think he underestimates himself, but that’s not the point) basically boils down to this:

• Work hard, and make the most of your opportunities.

While Booker might have a reasonable point that poor kids are dealt a short straw in life, and find it doubly difficult to work their way out of that, the solution is not to just give them cash. It manages to simultaneously take away any incentive for the poor to excel themselves, while also creating a huge incentive for the innately talented to pretend to be losers.

Back in the old days there were things like scholarships and apprenticeships for poor kids who wanted to do well. But that promoted inequality - because idiots and lazy kids were excluded - so the arbiters of fairness had to put a stop to that sort of nonsense.

First we should change or at least offer 3 year programs instead of 4. You really don’t need 4, I did not need to take geology and other useless subjects I can’t recall a single thing from after I graduate. That already cuts the cost of college by 25%

School can be affordable for almost anyone if they knew options open to them. No one teaches them hey, you can go to junior college and community college for cheap and almost always transfer and graduate from a good in state school.

We offered 3k a year for college for scholarship. All you needed to do is write 2 essays. The most applicant was like 5…plenty of businesses and people who offer scholarship money if anyone actually bothered to look.

I’ve never seen in my life until I got to the US seen parents lack of care of excellence in education. They seem to be ok with mediocre. It’s ok to suck at math or science just because you might not have a natural ability it. It’s freaking 1st and secondly school subjects, everyone is capable of doing pretty well at it if they tried. I went from not knowing any English to having better English skills compared to my classmates within a a few years. Instead of pushing for academic scholarships. You see parents push their kids for sports scholarships and all their time towards that.

Trade schools are a great option. Not everyone is cut out to be a CEO, account, doctor, lawyer. Nothing wrong with that. You’re perfectly able to make a decent wage being good at a trade. Some pay really well, especially if you form a business. My father went to a trade school and worked for one of the largest companies in Taiwan as a low level engineer. He left and founded a new company and competed against them. Sold his car, put all his saving into it and worked 80 hour weeks his entire life. And now they want people like him to distribute his wealth to others? Gtfo with that BS.

I often hear from people in the US that if you work as a plumber, welder etc and you’re good at it, you can make very decent amount of moneys. But it’s often a hard job, so I guess many people prefer a minimum wage 8h/day job or something like that.

But think about how many 30yo “refugee children” you could feed and send to school with that money!

Part of the reason they can’t assimilate into society is because they don’t have any skills that are useful in society. Are we really helping them by letting them in when they can’t do anything?