Cost Comparisons

I usually shop where rates and charges are known in advance. Here are two recent situations and the charges. Maybe someone has other cost comparisons to offer.

Haircut in Taipei 700 NT
Shampoo (decided by hairdresser though not needed) 300 NT
Pedicure (more than twice the price quoted via phone, no polish) 1,400 NT
Total for less than 2 hours: 2,400 NT

Vet charge for 3 days of IV drip hydration for ill cat, over 10 hours of care in the clinic each day,
antibiotics, medication to take home Total: 2,200 NT

I won’t be returning to the hairdresser. I paid the vet more and insisted she keep it.

I get a haircut and wash, massage, etc. at AVEDA in Kaohsiung for a total of about nt 800.

In my local town, I get a manicure and pedicure, with polish, for a total of nt400 (although it’s not nearly as good as the ones you get at home).

Sounds like that salon you mentioned was taking the piss…

I get a wash cut and blowjob in Asia World for NT$6,600. It costs more if it’s a human, but I honestly prefer vets.

Exactly, Indiana.
I bought into the belief that certain English-speaking, foreign-trained hairdressers are soooo much better than other local hairdressers. And, that their supposed expertise is worth top dollar.
It’s probably time for a listing of local shops with local hairdressers who know the deep secrets of cutting our laowai hair.

[quote=“thelaowai”]Exactly, Indiana.
I bought into the belief that certain English-speaking, foreign-trained hairdressers are soooo much better than other local hairdressers. And, that their supposed expertise is worth top dollar.
It’s probably time for a listing of local shops with local hairdressers who know the deep secrets of cutting our laowai hair.[/quote]

I have had a slew of horrific haircuts and a more-than-horrible highlight job off of the locals in the 6 years I have been here. I got to the point where I would wait till I went home or on holiday to even get a trim!

I discovered Aveda last year, and they are brilliant. They actually listen to you and what you want, which is unusual here. :wink:

There are sure to be a number of Aveda salons in Taipei…I would give them a try before you let the typical local butchers touch your hair! :slight_smile:

Although Ive had bad experiences at local haircut shops, I still go to a local shop. 180 NT

The last place left because the hag kept burping in my friggin ear, and made fun of me because i couldnt speak enough chinese to tell her exactly what I wanted.

Now i say hello…good… thank you and good bye.

3 good haircuts in a row.

I think they charge me extra because I have a big head.