Cost of Taiwan Driver's License

Does anyone know how much a Taiwan driver’s license cost? (Car)
And how difficult is the test? :ponder:
And what will be required :slight_smile:

Can’t remember how much the test cost, except it wasn’t very expensive, a few hundred I think.

There’s a Chinglish written test which makes no fucking sense, but is passable if you get the practice booklet (which, for Tainan, is downloadable) and practice until you know which stupid answers fit which stupid questions. There are online practice tests. Ask at the test centre where you will be tested, since the material apparently varies.

You also have to pass a token medical. There’ll be a medical test centre near the driving test centre, which doesn’t do the medical test.

The “practical” test is as hard as you find it. I found it impossible, but many people find it easy. The bit that gets most people who fail is reversing down a tight S bend.

The test is designed to give business to the driving schools, who offer a guaranteed pass for an “institutionalised bribe” flat fee, which I heard recently was currently around 15K. It has no other practical function.

Do a search for more detail on the test. Its been discussed.

Last year I paid 250 ntd for the license and 200 ntd for the medical.

At least for Taipei, this information might be outdated. When some friends and I took the test last year the test English was acceptable and in just a couple of cases did I fail to give the right answer because of the poor translation. It mostly had to do with double negations (e.g. “If you spot a accident you should: (A) don’t do nothing…”) or different interpretations of whether “temporary parking” is a subset of parking (my choice) or the other way around (the DMV’s choice).

I just took the Taipei test a week or so back. $200/$200/$250 is what I recall paying. Once for the written test, once for the medical, and once for the issuance of the license.

Also I took the test for the first time without studying and passed with an 87. If you’ve driven on Taiwanese roads illegally you will have amassed enough knowledge to guess/pass the written test. The practical test is then explained and demo’d for you in a way that makes failure only able to be attributed to extreme nervousness.

Thanks for the answer :discodance: :discodance:

You will learn in time, Glasshoppa, that there is always more than one answer, in Taiwan.

[quote]The test is designed to give business to the driving schools, who offer a guaranteed pass for an “institutionalised bribe” flat fee, which I heard recently was currently around 15K. It has no other practical function.

[/quote]

The ball and chain did this. The driving school even issued the license.

I made the mistake of thinking they actually taught her how to drive. :loco: :loco:
During her first drive she crashed into a wall.

In the next two months she proceeded to crash into cars stopped at traffic lights, not once, but twice. This was in my home country by the way.

My insurance premiums quadtripled.

I also used to notice dents all over the car on a weekly basis. She was convinced someone was out to get her and was throwing bricks at the car when it was parked.

And no, I am not taking the piss. This is a true story.

You’ll have the option of doing a car test or a motorcycle test. You should do them both at the same. If you choose to only do the motorcycle portion and later decide to do the car test you will have to take the written test each time. If you do them at the same time then you will only take the written portion once. This won’t make sense if you try to apply any logic to it.

Cost of Drivers Licences? That’s nothing. Talk about the cost of “renting” your own car. That is the registration fee you must pay every year to drive your car on the road. I’ve an SUV, Toyota Surf. I think it’s nearly 7K. I paid it, but promptly forgot the exact amount. All I know is… OUCH!

[quote=“holajr”]I just took the Taipei test a week or so back. $200/$200/$250 is what I recall paying. Once for the written test, once for the medical, and once for the issuance of the license.

Also I took the test for the first time without studying and passed with an 87. If you’ve driven on Taiwanese roads illegally you will have amassed enough knowledge to guess/pass the written test. The practical test is then explained and demo’d for you in a way that makes failure only able to be attributed to extreme nervousness.[/quote]

I’m not sure the test has anything to do with reality. When I took my road test for the car, in Pingtung city, they were very friendly and helpful. Maybe not a lot of foreigners took the test then. Anyway, they were practically “spotting my car” that same way a spotter helps a gymnast, making sure I don’t touch the sides while backing up. By sides, i mean, the course was lined with sensors similar to the game “Operation”. You had to perform some really tricky back up maneuver as if you were in a long narrow parking garage.