Costco Taichung

Okay, so it won’t open until October or November of 2007, but got word today from a Costco manager that it’s a go. I know they’ve been trying forever to secure a place in Taichung, but now it’s definite - will be somewhere in the vicinity of the Taichung City Government building.

That is super news. Where is the Taichung City Government building?

[quote=“Elephant789”]That is super news. Where is the Taichung City Government building?[/quote]Uh, Shrjen Rd… other side of Wenhsin from the police HQ and south a couple of blocks.

@ Costco: About f*****g time!

I do not want to get flamed by my post so I will be as kind as possible…but I have been in Puli for two years and all I have ever heard was yes, Costco is coming to Taichung. Don’t get me wrong, this information is GREAT news, but has anyone seen anything in print or on the news? I haven’t.

Last trip to Taipei in July my other half asked staff/manager in Neihu and they didn’t know anything.

Just last week one of my university students who lives in Taichung said it wouldn’t be open for another year.

Again, all this news is great, but there is just too many conflicting stories about when/if it will happen.

I AM keeping my fingers crossed.

Deleted-it posted THREE times! What happened there?

…and again.

[quote=“redwagon”][quote=“Elephant789”]That is super news. Where is the Taichung City Government building?[/quote]Uh, Shrjen Rd… other side of Wenhsin from the police HQ and south a couple of blocks.

@ Costco: About f*****g time![/quote]

That’s what I thought, thanks. I can’t wait.

@ Boysmap
This is the first I’ve heard of it so I will hope for the best keeping in-mind what you mentioned.

Any updated info on the opening? Is it still a go?

Any updated info on the opening? Is it still a go?

Yes, it is still on track–although slowly.

Seems there is problems with the residence of the area who are upset with the “Costco Area” going up. The building is, however, up and done! It is sitting there empty right now. The new Ikea will be there next to/with Costco and another something that I can’t remember off hand!

Anyway, just keep waiting. Should be early fall!

After looking around on the internet I found out that the location is off of Wenxin S. Road near the statue park. If driving south on Wenxin you would turn left at the gas station. It’s between Wenxin and Da Dune. I took a drive there yesterday and there is construction going on of a warehouse that looks like it would be Costco. There aren’t any signs saying that it’ll be Costco but it sure does look like it.
http://bayimg.com/EacDcAAbG

I didn’t know that there is an Ikea planned for the city. Cool.

I was speaking to my friend and she told me that the new Costco is taking applications for memberships. In this promotional period, they are offering a free membership with the purchase of a membership, so buy one get one free. Cost is 1200 NT, so if you have a friend who also wants to become a member, you both can get the first year for only 600 NT. Signup location is at the new Costco building on Wenxin South Road, according to my friend. I don’t know how long this will last. By the way, this is coming from my friend, who is Chinese, so I think it’s all valid. Hope this helps someone out.

Doesn’t Taichung already have a Costco?

I once asked the owner of a bar in Changhua (where I live - 15km from Taichung) where he bought his salsa (coz there’s nowhere in Changhua that seels it) and he told me Costco. I assumed it was in Taichung - I doubt he goes all the way to Taipei for it.

I too heard the same thing from the locals today at school about the membership drive. However, the opening date is still up in the air. I heard everything from September all the way until November! All I know is I can’t wait!!!

YES! Finally!! :bravo: The new Costco Taichung will open on November 9, 2007. It is located at:
No. 289, Wunsin S. 3rd Road, Nantun District.

I have a map from Costco with the location…but my scanner is being repaired now. I am sure someone else will post it before I get it back.

Man, I can’t wait!!!

this will friggin rule.

It’s strange that there is no mention about this store on the Costco Taiwan website :s

http://www.costco.com/Warehouse/Location.aspx?country=Taiwan

But I did find it here

http://www.costco.com/Service/FeaturePage.aspx?ProductNo=11203456

Not much help as far as a map goes though

Went to the Costco Taichung tonight. Damn was it packed! Unfortunately, like posters in the other Costco thread mentioned, all the sausages, ham, roast beef, etc. were Taiwanese brands. They still look good, but it’s disappointing that they’re not imported like before. Will see how they turn out on the grill tomorrow.

[quote=“djm409”]Went to the Costco Taichung tonight. Damn was it packed! Unfortunately, like posters in the other Costco thread mentioned, all the sausages, ham, roast beef, etc. were Taiwanese brands. They still look good, but it’s disappointing that they’re not imported like before. Will see how they turn out on the grill tomorrow.[/quote]I don’t really trust those packaged cooked meats. They taste alright, but I think they’re stuffed with preservatives. In fact one of them says “no artificial preservatives” on the packet, but lists sodium nitrite on the ingredients list.