Costco thread 2010

I got a 32" Vizio almost 3 years ago, carried it home in a taxi, tough fit, but it has been really stable and has never had a problem except when my kid gets ahold of the remote. :doh:

Just got back from a quick trip to Cost Co. It was only quick (for me) because I managed to get by without grabbing a cart. Place was packed, 1pm on Tues. If you need a cart, prepare for in-store gridlock.
Just a little heads up for anyone thinking of beating the CNY rush. It’s already on! :eh:

If anyone sees their hours for during CNY please post them; thanks!

I called and complained about this last year. They should have this info on teh website.

I remember Yonghe COSTCO had a sign saying Friday and Saturday they’ll be open until 10:30 pm. Don’t quote me on that, though.

I have to go pick up some photos… :loco:

Costco is apparently doing well - 20 more stores for Taiwan, and a distribution center near the airport:

earthtimes.org/articles/show … aiwan.html

I asked them in Taichung and they said they were keeping regular business hours. I couldn;t understand if she really understood my question or not though.

They emailed me this:
親愛的會員:
好市多春節期間的營業時間調整如下:
2010/2/5(星期五)~2010/2/12(星期五) 延長營業至晚上10:30
2010/2/13(星期六) 除夕 早上9:00至晚上6:00
2010/2/14(星期日) 大年初一起 早上10:00至晚上9:30(恢復正常營業時間)
另附上"精選年節商品" ◆ Costco向您拜個早年◆ 恭喜發財!虎年行大運!

Beauty, thanks kage! :slight_smile:

k.k. wrote:

[quote]Just got back from a quick trip to Cost Co. It was only quick (for me) because I managed to get by without grabbing a cart. Place was packed, 1pm on Tues. If you need a cart, prepare for in-store gridlock.
Just a little heads up for anyone thinking of beating the CNY rush. It’s already on![/quote]

And how! I left early this morning to get to the Neihu branch at about opening time. On rounding the corner near the gas station there was already a long line of cars waiting for parking (luckily I was on a scoot).

As I was approaching to get a cart at 10:20 there were already people streaming out with fullcartloads :astonished: (don’t theses people have jobs?). Inside was packed already. I raced through the aisles (as much as one can race with people leaving their shopping carts in the middle of aisles while they go look for an item or parking them diagonally as they dig through a display rack or maybe just stopping for a chat with the family in the crosswalks) got the few things I wanted (mostly booze) and fled.

I can’t possibly imagine what it will be like tonight and tomorrow. I won’t darken the inside of Costco until well after CNY is over.

(By the way mods, time to update the thread as 2009 has passed.)

I was at the Neihu branch from 6:45 to 7:10 last night, and although it was busy, it was not insane. I have seen worse. There were still some carts available, and there were extra registers open to deal with the flow so I did not even have to wait in line to pay. I did my normal amount of shopping and was only slowed down by about 15 minutes due to cart jam. If you allocate yourself a bit extra time and patience, and don’t go with high caffeine or low blood sugar levels, you’ll be fine. I’ll venture a guess that early evening (and I’m guessing also late evening right before closing) will still be ok tonight.

BTW, blueberries are $370/510g fresh, $345/1.36kg frozen, and $435/567g dried; cream cheese is $145 for 2 226-g tubs, or $299 for 1.36kg, whipping cream (UHT) is $159/liter, and sour cream is $159 for 1.36 kg (<–4/9/10 EDIT - might be a typo; I think it was a little over $300). Marscapone is $195/500g, and butter is $285 for 1812g.

They were completely out of broccoli, and don’t carry the multi-flavor Quaker oatmeal packs (just maple sugar flavor).

The line of cars started a while ago, when they required people to show the COSTCO card BEFORE entering the premises.

I do not think it is slowing down anyone who’s getting dirt cheap parking in the area, but at least it prevents total freeloaders… a bit. Still, that parking lot is insane.

By the way, I’ve been there during New Year holidays, and it’s basically almost empty. Yonghe, that is.

ps.
if anyone wants the maple flavored instant Quaker oatmeal, PM me. Delivered anywhere. some people love it. I’m not one of them.

Well, just a heads up, Costco has a lot of new pre-sliced cheese from a [strike]US[/strike] company which is oddly enough called Finlandia (actually, according to their FAQ they’re part of Valio which is Finland’s largest dairy company). They have a mix pack and some other stuff. Didn’t try any off it as I just got some lovely cheese from back home in Ikea…

And shouldn’t we have a Costco 2010 thread?

So, how’s the crowd situation in Costco?

Happy CNY to all!!

Any ideas on what’s the crowd situation like in Costco these days???

It was fairly busy today, but no worse than any other day from what I could tell. Not more than 5 minutes queue at the tills when we went.

Well, just a heads up, Costco has a lot of new pre-sliced cheese from a [strike]US[/strike] company which is oddly enough called Finlandia (actually, according to their FAQ they’re part of Valio which is Finland’s largest dairy company). They have a mix pack and some other stuff, like the swiss, muenster and quad pack listed here. Didn’t try any off it as I just got some lovely cheese from back home in Ikea…

I tried some of Yancey’s Fancy smoked Gouda from Costco and it was OSSUM!

Yancey’s Fancy cheese is also loaded with fat, I bought their Norwegian whatever and it sure tastes good, but it’s like 50%+ fat content :smiley:
I stick to plain Gouda these days, except for the Swedish Hushållsost I picked up in Ikea, but at NT$150 for 150g, it’s hardly a bargain, but hey, it’s a bit of a taste from back home :sunglasses:

[quote=“TheLostSwede”]Well, just a heads up, Costco has a lot of new pre-sliced cheese from a [strike]US[/strike] company which is oddly enough called Finlandia (actually, according to their FAQ they’re part of Valio which is Finland’s largest dairy company). They have a mix pack and some other stuff. Didn’t try any off it as I just got some lovely cheese from back home in Ikea…
[/quote]
The Finlandia stuff has been around at Cost Co for a little while now. It’ s not bad. Gouda though, oh yeah…

First time I’ve seen it, but fair enough.
I don’t go to the Jonghe store all that often so…