Costco Thread 2019

I wonder if it’s worth it if I’m pretty much only interested in the socks and jocks given I’m poor, single, don’t have a kitchen, and the nearest one is over an hour away :s

We have missed you Old Man @bojack :smile:

1 Like

Please don’t post my photos here

2 Likes

yeah, speak for yourself

I returned the hash brown. They took it back. I put in a comment saying the hash brown tends to break up once you fry it (it does not always do this, but random batches do it) making it useless as hash brown. They actually called me asking what’s up and they said they will pass it up to the supplier. Though to be honest with you I don’t know if I should take another chance with Costco hash browns, if it will disintegrate again when you try to fry it. I know Carrefour ones will not do that (especially the triangular hash browns)

That’s amazing, that they took back your hash browns.

It’s also why I couldn’t care less what Costco’s answer is … which is also why I would never hesitate to keep my Costco membership.

Personally, I would “take another chance” on Costco because they seem to be intimately invested in your well-being, including even hash brown potatoes, despite their own profit.

Phenomenal story, and no wonder Costco is so popular here.

Costco is also hugely profitable too, despite the fact that they seem to treat customers like royalty. They don’t have the problems Walmart has (really high shrink, bad employees, worse customers)

True, but which company has better earned your loyalty, Costco or WalMart?

I can’t even imagine anybody but Costco taking the time to process a return on hash browns. Maybe I don’t demand enough from my big box suppliers, but gotta admit I’m impressed by Costco nonetheless.

I worked for Walmart for 3 years. Management is incompetent (moving them around every year does not build morale), stingy, and the only reason anyone shops there is their “everyday low prices” (which is basically BS).

Shoplifting was rampant at the store I worked at. The store loses 1.6 million dollars per year from theft. Customers are also very bad, they would trash the store every time they come, and we can’t say anything about it. We’d find used diapers in various places, merchandise damaged, torn up, opened, etc. which makes it unsellable. But if I took everything that’s been opened to claims, that department would fill up very quickly. People open a pack of dog diaper just to get one rendering the entire package unsellable. Toys are played to the point of being damaged. All the lightsabers in the store are basically used. The kids would play with them so much that they ought to be in the clearance section.

The US really got messed up badly… if this is a reflection of most retail stores in the country. Target looks a lot better but I never worked there so I can’t even say if they face similar problems.

I think this is “retail reality” for every US big box store these days.

It’s why WalMart is losing the game to Amazon. Amazon is just more adept at avoiding the retail costs WalMart bears as a result of their biz model, a biz model that was unbelievabely successful thirty years ago yet as dead as retail malls are dead today, in the US.

Kudos for working on the front lines. You can turn that experience into a number of alternatives that compete against WalMart, or something else (like fiction). Your choice, but any of your choices would seem to be rich in resources, thanks to your imagination … and perhaps WalMart.

Thanks, @shiadoa.

When you emerge from the gulag, it seems that it’s almost impossible to overestimate the impact of what your friends say upon your freedom. At that time, it’s like if they say “hi there” it’s plenty. Words like yours, on the other hand, are drunk up like champagne, and very much appreciated.

Thanks again, best.

1 Like

Actually they have exported the experience to Central America, railroaded over the competition…And now they are the only supermarket choice.

Has anyone tried this ice cream?

Screenshot_20190506-133801

I had the milk one. It was good. Light and airy, not your real thick creamy type.

The first time I returned something to Costco, I was prepared for an argument (box had two of an item instead of three) to get them to return it. They didn’t even ask for a reason, which was nice, but disappointing.

The second time I returned something to Costco, I was waiting in line behind a woman who had a bag of spoiled produce. I’m assuming it wasn’t bad when she walked out of the store though, from the lack of commotion, it appears they refunded her as well.

Yeah I gotta tip my hat to Costco. They stand rock solid behind their return policy.

Of course it opens them up to fraud, but I suspect they move house if/when that becomes a problem.

Reminds me a bit of the department store Nordstrom. Famous story in a biz case about an elderly American woman who had shopped there for decades and who successfully returned a set of 4 tires to her local Nordstrom in the late 1980s. Nordstrom has never sold tires, ever.

What does it mean?

Just as an example, a Costco member could purchase a coffeemaker (say), use it extensively for a period of time, and return it for a full refund. Or purchase 10 coffeemakers on sale, somehow alter the sales receipt in order to date the purchase outside the sale period, and then return all 10 coffeemakers for their full retail price.

What I mean is that if such fraud started happening a lot, then Costco might consider closing the location.

Does that answer your question?

1 Like

Not possible as Costco use your membership record and not the receipt for returns.

3 Likes

“Fraud”, as in unjustified returns happens in all Costco locations. The reason electronics returns are limited to 90 is due to US customers returning year old TV sets for their “free upgrade”, it was so common that some customers thought it was a Costco service whereby you brought back your old out of date TV, got a refund and then purchased a newer model.

A number of customers in Taiwan were refused membership renewal last year due to their abuse of the returns policy, one gentleman returned over 80% of his purchases!

I stood in line at the returns desk behind a guy who was returning hi carefully washed salad container complete with the washed sauce container and watched him get a no questions asked full refund! For 2 empty containers!!

I can only imagine what is happening in their newly opened China stores.