Costco Thread 2020

Zhonghe Costco has butterball turkeys in stock today

4 Likes

I was passing and thought I might stop in but glad I checked first.

If you pay any attention to Costco’s stock levels of peanut butter, you will know that they ran out of Chunky Skippy a month or so ago. Tonight they were down to their last three packs of smooth Skippy at the Beitoad location.

Guess what? They’re not ordering any more. I asked. You can have the last one if you want it and if you hurry. Good luck. Once it’s gone it’s gone.

I’ve been told many times over the years that they’re not going to order any more, only to find that months later, the product is back. Their ‘not going to order’ just means ‘no restock order has currently been placed’, in my experience, so don’t despair.

4 Likes

That turkey doesn’t look fresh…

I am well aware of that, but in this case, they are actually out of the product and it will take weeks to get more in assuming they ever bother to order it.

That’s on top of the fact that they went from 2x48oz to 3x16oz jars in each package, so you only get half as much peanut butter but are paying almost as much as before.

You’re right, they’re frozen.

1 Like

Minor update and stock in the Guandu Costco store yesterday:

Not found:

• Still no guacamole cups.
  • The good cheddar from Britain is still missing.
  • The long-gone Tillamook pepper jack is still missing.
  • Kale was around for a few months, but I haven’t seen it in a while now.
  • None of the Hungarian salami that I usually use for pizza or sandwiches.
  • Didn’t see “Granulated California Garlic.” Wasn’t looking for that specific product, but I was looking for garlic powder. Garlic salt, garlic seasoning (with mixes of spices and herbs), but straight garlic, no.

Found:

• Still plenty of sliced deli cheeses. I bought a package of this a while back and tried freezing them, wrapping pairs of slices (about right for a sandwich) in baking paper. They still become crumbs rather than slices after freezing. But Costco insists on stocking this rather than good blocks of different cheeses.
  • There were no organic coffee beans last time I went (September?), but this time the organic “limited” Ethiopian coffee beans were back. (How limited can they be if Costco is stocking them for well over a year?!)
  • Tons of Christmas decorations.
  • Kirkland blended Canadian whisky. I have never tried this. I didn’t buy it. Any reviews? (I suspect the nostalgic appeal that Canadian whisky has for me would be fully sated after one glass.)
  • More variety of lamb cuts than usual, I think?: “lamb fore shank vacuum pack”, $339/kg.
  • The thin-sliced Kirkland bacon that’s been around for a while now, but none of the thicker stuff that made me so happy a few years ago.
2 Likes

Any chance you noticed egg nog or praline pecans?

Any chance you live near Xindian? We’ve got a near full box and I really don’t like it so its been sitting in the back of our veggie crisper taking up valuable fridge space.

Didn’t notice, but didn’t look either. I vaguely recall praline … something … with all the Christmas stuff. They certainly had assorted Christmas candies and chocolates.

Other end of the city, unfortunately, but thanks for the offer! And maybe check the expiration date on those - they freeze surprisingly well, but I believe they’re only fridge safe for a month or two.

At the ~$350 price for a 1.75L bottle, I suspect you’re right, but if it’s drinkable it’s a fantastic value.

No raw pecans for a while. This is disturbing to me.

1 Like

Finally picked up a couple of bags of frozen blueberries from the Zhonghe branch yesterday! :yum: (Would have bought more, except for limited freezer space at home.)

Still no good cheddar cheese though. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

Yeah…good call on that. Checked on them yesterday and they expired last month, haha.

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Unhelpful

just got back from Costco today. A bit disappointed.

No meat pies.
No pumpkin pie.
No eggnog.

Nothing new. Same ol’ chocolate section and decorations for Christmas. Boring.

Got my usual stuff, but really disappointed those meat pies are gone.

Oh, and the churros are gone from the food court.

2 Likes

There was meat pies?

I never saw them. Was going off a tip from earlier…

and

None to be found today though.

2 Likes

That sucks. I guess I should have stocked up hopefully they’ll be a regular item. A bunch of the expat FB groups were talking about them

can you post a picture of the packaging and let us know which aisle you found them?