Costco Thread 2021

Which brand and where? I have been looking since you posted that, but have only found the crappy Tillamook slices.

Carrefour in Danshui has “mature cheddar” from a brand called “President” (they’ve had other dairy products from the same brand before). It’s not bad and is real cheese. Not as good quality as the real English “Coastal” brand stuff Costco used to carry, but it’s adequate.

I emailed Coastal a while ago but never got a reply. Apparently they don’t care about our plight.

Edit: this is the packaging

Oddly, the packaging says it’s “British Cheddar” but the brand is apparently from Turkey, and one of their advertising blurbs says they make it there. I don’t know if this is false marking or if this particular product is really from Britain.

1 Like

Yeah, I bought that one in desperation a month or two ago (“President?! Oh no!”, but maybe it’s not the 7-11 company?), and it’s surprisingly, well, let’s say OK. They’ve also got a vintage one which I bought for the first time the other day and haven’t yet opened.

Lately I haven’t even seen the McLellan brand - that had been my stand-by until Coastal showed up at Costco. Then it returned to being a somewhat grudged standard, and now may also be gone. This one:

Definitely… When the good wine comes in you gotta get it fast. People walk out with multiple cases.

1 Like

Hmm, it’s been at least a month sine I went. It was either at Zhonghe or Xizhi. I remember for sure they had the Tillamook slices and I believe they had a couple blocks of Kirkland Cheddar. I can’t remember for sure as it’s been awhile and I generally don’t buy the Kirkland blocks of cheese, not a big fan of their cheddar.

1 Like

I assumed you were talking about the same blocks of plasticky American cheese tbh… (I’m guessing that’s the stuff @OliviaLinToo, and MeToo, didn’t want.)

I didn’t even see that there, just the sliced Tillamook (which sadly is not good, Tillamook used to make some great cheeses, I hope this isn’t typical of their current production). However, I’ve tried the Kirkland block cheddar before and it’s one of those that just turns into a puddle of oil if you try to do anything with it. I don’t think it’s even real cheese, more like “cheese flavored product”.

2 Likes

Add a bit of sodium citrate.

Yeah, that was totally my impression too. The first, last, and only time I bought one of those blocks of “cheese”, maybe 80% of it went in the garbage.

It’d probably still be stoically resisting decomposition in a landfill somewhere with the rest of the plastic, if Taiwan didn’t incinerate almost all of its waste.

Kirkland blueberry are back in stock.

1 Like

What kind of whiskey does Costco sell?

I’m looking for…
Dewars
Hennessy
DalMore

and trying not to break the bank
Jason’s had a tiny bottle of Hennessy for 2K. That’s nutters.

1 Like

I never seen Hennessy for less than 2000 anywhere.

You should be able to get a bottle of Dewar’s or a young Dalmore for way below $2k at 洋酒城.

Hennessy is cognac. You can probably find a VSOP for less than $2k too.

2 Likes

The one in Xizhi sells Bunnahabhain (around 800 nt), Kirkland blended scotch (huge 1.75 liter bottle for about 1,000 nt), JW Black, Glenmorangie 10 (1.5 liter bottle for around 1,300 nt), and one or two others I can’t remember. They also have very good whiskies sold for a short period around the holidays. You don’t need to spend more than 1,000 for good scotch, and more than 1,500 nt for damn good whisky. Not in Taiwan, anyway.

Edit: 1L bottle of Singleton Glen Ord 12 year for about 1,400 nt is also sold on a continuous basis (not only during holidays) at the Xizhi Costco.

1 Like

Finally managed to get unsalted butter at Costco Neihu. Only 4 packs left when I arrived though, limited to one per customer, and already sold out.

2 Likes

Président is a French dairy brand owned by Lactalis of Laval, Mayenne.

Carrefour carries some products like cream, butter, cheeses

I got used to salted butter. Lol.

Any Ancient Grains granola lovers here? It poofed for 2 years, came back, and now smells/tastes like plastic. What happened?!

I’ve always used my US Costco card as both my husband and I are on it. I even got a Cathay Costco card.
To order online, you have to register your card and your ARC (or APRC), however it does not work. As far as I can tell, it is not a ID number problem but a Costco problem. Has anyone ever transferred their membership to Taiwan to do online shopping here?

You have a Taiwan Cathay Costco credit card, but only a US Costco membership?

yes