Cottonseed oil scandal

I don’t really use their products… to me it seems like an obscure brand so I have little faith in it. Also their satay sauce tastes terrible and now it has been revealed that it is problematic. I use the Bull head brand by the way because it has the best taste, but who knows what goes on? As much as I love to eat organic and stuff I just can’t afford the stuff, and there’s no guarantee that it’s actually organic (Could be good looking GMO labeled as organic for all I know)

chinapost.com.tw/taiwan/nati … 2C+News%29

Food ingredient manufacturing oversight is obviously very very delinquent in Taiwan.

They need harsh sentences, including life in prison to stop such wanton disregard for food safety.

This guy needs to be locked up for life.

The bigger problem is even though food safety laws are very strict in Taiwan, there are very little resources devoted to enforcement. In fact an average factory might get an inspection every 7 years…

Thats just terrible how so many cases of unscrupulous business persons are allowed to provide food to the general public.

The govt has to regulate the industry or else everyone in Taiwan is being sickened for sure.

CAnola oil I wont use because it is from the rapeseed plant. And it was used as oil for lamps. It has an ingredient known to cause heart attacks. Supposedly Canola oil has this ingredient removed but I wonder though.

Same with cottonseed oil . It is not meant for consumption.

People who add non edible oils to edible oils should be severely punished. Looks like they are going to go after this guy big time.

The guy responsible for the milk scandal in China was executed !

A credible deterent has to be devised here.

In terms of effectiveness, research shows that enforcement is the most effective deterrent. The severity of the punishment doesn’t have much effect, especially when criminals know they’re not likely to get caught.

Routine, frequent, random inspections would solve it, obviously. If the cost is prohibitive, why not just bill food companies for the cost of the inspection? In most industries subject to regulations, the company is responsible for the costs of compliance with the law. But I suppose the other problem is the same as we have in the West: consumers are simply not that discerning. They’re more interested in price than quality.

Some are saying guys who do this should be shot… like the guy who was responsible for the milk scandal in China.

Seems now people are sufficiently afraid of vegetable oil that they are switching back to lard like they used to in the old days. The reasoning is all it takes to make lard is to heat it in a pot long enough and the oil comes out, no chemical processes involved. In Taiwan this usually means you go to the butcher and just buy the fat and cook it yourself. I found ready made lard at PX Mart (I don’t like making my own lard, takes too much time) and I have to say Lard isn’t as bad as most people think. For one thing it’s real fat so your body knows what to do with it. It doesn’t contain chemicals and stuff, not only that it’s excellent at preventing things from sticking.

In Belgium every company contributing in the food chain have to pay up to the food control agency … every food retail business has to register and get permission from the food agency and display the permit at the door … street vendors and ambulent vendors need different permits

Sent from my MI 2S using Tapatalk

[quote=“Belgian Pie”]In Belgium every company contributing in the food chain have to pay up to the food control agency … every food retail business has to register and get permission from the food agency and display the permit at the door … street vendors and ambulent vendors need different permits

Sent from my MI 2S using Tapatalk[/quote]

Which of course drives up cost…

Either it’s added to your product cost or it’s added to your taxes …

And everyone here is fixed on cottonseed but have you ever thought about palm oil … not so healthy too … and used in most products containing fats/oils …

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4