Could I have two employee contracts in different countries?

Hi all,

Currently, I am working for a Taiwan company in Taiwan, but my company is planning to open a representative office in Viet Nam and they want to send me back to Viet Nam.

I don’t know what should I do ? I have 2 options:

  1. If I am hired by Representative Office, I will lost my ARC but I still often want to go back Taiwan ( my fiancé live in Taiwan), I need to hold the ARC (because Vietnamese require apply visa to enter Taiwan, so if I don’t have ARC, it is really complicated).
  2. If I am hired by Taiwan Headquarters company, I I still can keep my ARC, but the problem is I don’t stay at Taiwan more than 183 days, so the tax will be 18% and unreturned.

Anyone knows if I could have a contract with headquarters in Taiwan and another contract with Representative Office in Viet Nam. If I can, how about the salary and the tax ?

Thank you so much.

How long have you been in Taiwan?

3 and a half years.

It sounds like you’re almost to your APRC. I would probably stay with the Taiwan company and try to negotiate 184 days in Taiwan.

Because in first 2 years, I studied master degree, it could not count in APRC period.

Ah. That sucks. So only 1½ years?

Yeah. That is problem, so I don’t know what is the best choice for myself at the moment.

New rules for getting an APRC may now include time spent in a Masters program. Do some research on this. If you want an APRC, there may be hope!



oooh this is good information I didn’t know about.

@afterspivak to the rescue!

Nah my feeling though is Taiwan needs more people like @chloeie / Linh.

I hope this works out for you!


I will check it out, thank you so much for your information.

1 Like

IIRC, it was up to 1 year for a master’s or up to 2 years for a PhD - that’s just from memory though, so yeah, she’d have to check.

1 Like

oh, I didn’t know about IIRC, let me check it. Thank you.

Online information—at least in English—seems to be sketchy and inconsistent.

Perhaps the OP could check with the National Immigration Agency (NIA) office? They should know the latest rules and if the OP can qualify for the shortened APRC rules.


You don’t need to look up “IIRC” - that just means “if I remember correctly”. :slightly_smiling_face:

Haha, my bad english

I am going to call them and will tell u guys about the newest rules. Thank you all for helping me


No worries. :slightly_smiling_face: The thing you’re looking for is the Act for the Recruitment and Employment of Foreign Professionals, which was passed earlier this year but I believe hasn’t come into effect yet. See here:

The important thing here would be the “foreign special professionals” designation - you’d have to look whether that applies in your case. (I’m not sure whether the new rules apply to every foreigner working in Taiwan - my understanding is they don’t, but again I’m just going from memory.)

Great ! thank you so much.