Could Taiwan take over from HK as a new financial centre? (2019 edition)

If we play our cards right. Why not? Will certainly need some cultural changes and banks will have to up their game.

4 Likes

Original post edited for a more balanced discussion. :slight_smile:

Remember LTH’s Asia-Pacific Regional Op­erations Center? Not exactly a roaring success.

Why do we develop a financial Center?
https://park.org/Taiwan/Government/Theme/Asia_Pacific_Rigional/english/centers/4.htm

1 Like

Ah yeah every five years it’s rolled out for the last 30 years or something.
There’s a lot of local banks and corporations who don’t want to open up the market to outside businesses it seems. They are consistently profitable.

That website sure is a blast from the past!

As a first step in their internationalisation, Taiwan banks could start by adopting email ?

3 Likes

From what I read, for a foreign company just to open a bank account in Taiwan can be quite a hassle. To talk about being a new financial center is more than delusional.

Well it’s true. There are too many small banks rolling in cash with strong credit ratings.

I remember when I first got my account here with an international bank, the same person who signed me up was also attempting to give me specific financial advice, and spruke me some some rather speculative financial products. Seems to be little regulation around provision of general vs. specific financial advice in banking here.

Woah woah woah! You’re going too fast there. Baby steps! We still need them to adopt fax machines first.

6 Likes

Exactly. Start from the mid-80s and work from there. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Highly, highly, highly unlikely. Hong Kong is wealthy because the legal structures it offers for capital formation are some of the best in the world (save for perhaps Singapore). Taiwan isn’t even close.

1 Like

I predict Shanghai and Singapore financial industries will benefit the most from Hong Kong instability.

4 Likes

Singapore has been mega booming for years, I can only imagine the money flow now!
But it’s already getting so expensive…

Yeah, not gonna happen. Taiwan’s financial system is stuck in the Dark Ages and seems to have neither the will nor the ability to move on to the Renaissance.

1 Like

Yeah it needs to be blasted apart by fintech, which WILL happen. All these online banks and money apps are popping up overseas. We won’t grieve for these local banks.

2 Likes

Good reminder to start thinking about moving savings somewhere safer.

Eh a replay of last bank run/credit card debacle? George and Mary?

So, is gold going to have another crazy comeback? Should i buy up as many Fiji gold coins as i can now?

Ps. Business accounts here are just as annoying for locals. They people behind the desk make or break this country. Not so much the policies.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-09-16/jpmorgan-s-metals-desk-was-a-criminal-enterprise-u-s-says

maybe this time around 1500 holds for good