Counseling for Expats

I just moved to Taipei but have been an expat for over 2 years now. I know a lot of people tend to look for counseling resources as they deal with culture shock, feelings of isolation, treating their existing disorders, etc. I just wanted to share something that really changed my life and might help someone out there. (I promise this isn’t a paid endorsement; I just care about other expats!).

Recently, online counseling resources have been on the rise, and for an expat who keeps moving around the world, it’s a lifesaver. In the service I use, you can message your counselor anytime you want instead of waiting for a weekly appointment. It’s unlimited and you can attach video or audio files if you don’t feel like typing things out. You can also make as many video chat appointments as you want. All of this is for one monthly fee, and you can even apply for financial aid.

There might be other services like it, but the one I use personally is http://www.betterhelp.com .

Keep in mind that they do not prescribe medication or the like, but for counseling, they have been great for me, since I know that I won’t have to upend and change people as I move around the world.

Cheers!

If people need counseling service to “save their life” when moving around the world I suggest moving around the world may not be for them

Lots of people use counseling, pro athletes go see sports psychologists all the time, cops have mandatory ones, professionals see them. Things happen and pop up, so Someone is suppose to what? Just stay in their basement safe area vs go on with their life?

1 Like

@shifty , I think you’re having misconceptions about the purposes and benefits of counseling. Maybe some of that was on me, though - “lifesaver” probably wasn’t the right word to use because the online services are NOT for emergencies like thinking of suicide, etc. (In-person counseling does take action to contact appropriate parties though).

However, like @Andrew0409 said, things happen that people can’t anticipate. Looking abroad from your home country is different than BEING abroad. How can someone know for sure? Besides, consistent counseling is more like building a toolbox of strategies someone can use to cope and adapt… which is so necessary when you’re abroad.

I read an analogy once that’s really fitting:

"Imagine you have to take a road trip on a deserted road alone [a lot of expats move abroad alone, no?]. Halfway through the trip your engine starts to sputter and the car breaks down. What do you do?

A lot of people imagine that therapy and treatment is like calling a mechanic to come and fix your car for you. You make the call, and then you just have to wait around until the mechanic has fixed the problem, and your car is good as new! Unfortunately, it doesn’t work like that. There is no on-call mechanic. No-one is able to fix this car except for you.

Instead, it’s like you pull a toolbox out of the trunk, pop open the hood, and dial up the mechanic on the phone. You have to try and describe the problems as clearly as possible, and follow the advice they give you as well as you can.

Sometimes you won’t understand the advice, and you’ll need them to explain it again or suggest something else. Sometimes you’ll do what they say and the car still won’t run, and they won’t be able to explain why, only give you something new to try. Sometimes you’ll think you fixed the problem and start driving, and the car will break again two minutes down the road. No matter what happens, it’s going to be hard and messy and frustrating work.

But at the end of it, not only will your car be running again, but you’ll know how to fix it now. Which isn’t to say that you’ll never need another mechanic again, but next time you get stuck, it’ll be that little bit easier to handle."

I hope that makes sense.

1 Like

All hail the mancave :grinning: