Couple home ownership in Taiwan

My Taiwanese gf and I are looking at buying an apartment together. We are not married and for now have no plan to get married . My question is can we purchase a place together and be listed as joint owners for legal protection (should we ever break up). I have an APRC if that matters. I think only her name will be on the mortgage but I would like to make sure I am considered a legal owner.
Thanks

Foreiners are allowed to own 1 residential property legally. so as far as the title goes, joint ownership should be just fine (not legal advice).

Banking side of things, no idea. Banks tend to hate foreigners here as far as giving us loans and such…so its likely all on her. Foreigners as cosigners they even get all douchy about.

1 Like

Get it in your name.

4 Likes

Or make sure you sign some sort of contract that’s basically a prenup that will make sure you’re not getting screwed over if things don’t work out. Dating and marriage are two very different things. Buying a house together anywhere is not something I would recommend without involving lawyers if you’re not married.

9 Likes

I get t hat its a common issue that the foreigner gets Fd here. But he made no mention that he was paying for it. As such, assuming its 50/50 would be wise until he wishes to share more info. If she is taking the mortgage and paying it, she holds all the risk. Putting it in his name would also be unfair in that situation.

1 Like

If he’s not paying for it, why is he asking for his name on it? I think it is safe to assume he’s paying for it, partially at least.

Don’t. Just don’t.

Rent a place together, sure. Buy a place together, no.

Rent first to see how your relationship progresses, if at all.

6 Likes

So 50/50, as i said. If we are assuming (because he said he wants his name involved legally). Not “get it in your name”, which is 100%. Its unfair to assume its all his doing…unless he devulges such info.

1 Like

We are the ones with lesser rights. So…

That is true. But, so? Thats not what he has asked… if his girl is paying too and she takes the mortgage, he doesnt reservethe right to full ownership. So 50/50 until more info is provided is my opinion.

Dont get me wrong, i am with the rental crowd 100%. Dont buy without protection here. But in order to be unbias, we must answer what he asked, which wasnt that :slight_smile: he probably gets the picture of the culture here based on everyone saying run away haha. But thats a whole different question.

1 Like

Yea I hear this about every foreigner when describing their ex or soon to be ex. That she was so sweet when I first met her.

Don’t ever base lifelong thing on a fling. Seems there are lots of beggars in Thailand because they met some girl, invested his entire saving onto her, and she promptly dumped him and he has no way to return.

This seems like a good way to lose one’s life savings.

Basically it would be like this . We would each put about 2 million for the deposit . And we would share the mortgage equally . So no it’s not a case of me buying her a place where she has no equity in it . But if my name can’t be on the deed then I would not proceed with this as I don’t want to be screwed somewhere down the line

8 Likes

So, its a 50/50 type thing. which is cool, and smart. Foreigners c an own residential real estate (1). Make sure its not on farmland or some other type of foreigner banned zoning…which many houses are built on. i am unaware how banks would feel about giving you a loan to such an arrangement. Others can tap into that as it might complicate applying for the mortgage. they will ask where the money is from.

Many have stated, as you have just stated, best to be legally on it. i have gotten divorced and lost all my real estate in the process here which i paid for 100%. So it is quite common for the foreigner to get fucked as marco and others mention. But if its you and her together, just be smart as you stated and get it on LEGAL paper (aka, not just random paper haha). Otherwise, you have no cards to play without government stamped papers.

6 Likes

Thank you

Thing is, often if you want to marry a Taiwanese the man must buy a house, and not just any house too. You had to show her dad that you can afford it. And a lot of people can’t because of all the pokemon behavior with housing… so lots of people don’t marry.

Seriously it shows we don’t need a one child policy, we just make the economy force it on the population.

There are many fishes in water. Find fish without luggage.

The :speak_no_evil: everyone getting so heavy about when his question didnt hint at any of tgese things haha. Jeeze.

These horrible situations do happen a lot here, but so far he has stated him and his girlfriend are in on it equally, no need to shit on his parade. He needs legal advice about having his name on a paper, not marriage counselling. god damn…

2 Likes

Well, buying a house in your home country where you have full legal protections with a girlfriend seems risky enough. Doing that as a foreigner here triggers a lot of red flags. There are quite a few ways things could go pear-shaped and the guy will then have a terrible time getting his investment back. If he has the capital to work with, he should just put it in his name.